Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you get any "extras" from work at Christmas

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I have worked for the same small company for the last thirty years, and in all that time, I have never had a Christmas party (I am the only employee though). I did get an £800 bonus last year, so hoping for the same this year.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
in all that time, I have never had a Christmas party (I am the only employee though)

659339-lonely.jpg

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Not even a £5 bonus
Just 2 weeks off without any pay to return on the 6th of jan where we'll probably be frozen out by the cold weather for another 2/3 weeks without any pay :-(

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
No, the company i graft for and i mean graft feel that the wages they pay are all that us employees are worth and are too mean to even consider any Christmas box/bonus.The fecking misers......................

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
None. I might get a little extra bullying and a reminder to be grateful for the shit I put up with if I'm lucky.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Christmas lunch at a local restaurant, week Friday.
A complimentary hamper, worth a couple of hundred quid but we pay BIK tax on that.
Notification of annual bonus, to be tipped into January's salary.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
What we get varies each year. (A mood thing I guess).

Last year we had a big spread of food supplied as well as a very nice hamper. After Christmas the bosses treated us to a night at Hove dogs. Well the meal part anyway haha. Not too shabby in light of what I've read on here really.

The year before was the night at Wimbledon dogs but nothing else.

This year I have no idea yet!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Blimey.

Having read this thread, I'm going to have to review my policy! In 2013 (not all at Xmas) we will have given:

Each department has a meal out once a quarter, budget £30 pp each time
A Summer party for staff, their partners and their kids. Free food (we bring in 5 external caterers), free drink, 5 external providers of kids' fun things, we hire proper fairground dodgems etc
A Christmas party for staff and their partners. Free food, free bar, two live bands, DJ. Budget £150 pp
A Christmas gift - typically a turkey and three bottles of wine (Champagne, a white and a red). Equivalents for non meat-eaters and teetotallers. Budget £150 pp
A bonus linked to company profitability. N % of salary. Paid in Dec pay packet. 2013, N = 36%.

Plus the tax/NI on the above.

And still some miserable gits moan! Mind you, they won't have the opportunity to moan next year - they won't be around to moan about it!

EDIT: Oh, and we provide free taxis to and from the summer and Xmas parties.

Gisa job. I could do that! ;)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have hosted several corporate Christmas do's this year and more to come. A few things you can GUARANTEE. There will always be a guy who calls himself Steggs, or Barney or similar who heckles, talks over you and has the self awareness of a pebble. He's a rugby player but doesn't have any of his Rugger boys with him at his work do so looks even more of a clump.

There will always be a middle aged bird who used to be attractive come onto you, me and everyone else in the room. She will be on the front steps of the hotel as I leave, holding her shoes. Crying.

There will be someone there, usually a man who is simply above it all and is only there because he has to be. He will make it very obvious it is beneath him but he is doing it for the team.

A table with Dutch, German and Indian staff on it. This table are always the nicest and most fun

A list of their staff's past misdemeanours to incorporate into the evening. Most of the staff will have done way worse in their life than what's on the list but it being work they can't be too explicit and therefore end up being "Stephen from product design once dressed as Wonder Woman, Becca from HR cycles to work every day." The source from which much hilarity springs.

I will be at Waterloo station an hour before the last train leaves and be freezing my cheds off.

Having said that, if you get a good crowd in it can genuinely be a really good evening. I would much rather be hosting than attending most of these events though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here