Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you get any "extras" from work at Christmas

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
We close at 1 on the 20th paid for rest of the day, then off to a Brighton restaurant free food and drink until 7. Happy days, last year it was Gars wonder where this year!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
at one point we where colleagues if this is the case, I work for UPS and started about a month before it was taken from lynx ;-)

No, this was Carryfast. Although I have worked for Lynx in the past.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Nothing........maybe a bottle of wine from my immediate boss. Years ago we used to get travellers cheques and champagne which was nice.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Richard Branson once gave all of us at Virgin a copy of his autobiography to save it from being pulped. Was quite amusing really. About 40 of us staff all gathered on the shop floor after close as the manager handed round these wrapped parcels. After the third person had opened theirs and we all realised what it was and we were all getting the same thing no-one else bothered to unwrap theirs, instead we all filed past the wheeley bin on the way out and one by one dropped our still wrapped present in.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember one company I worked at back in the early 90's we got a Turkey + £100.00 bonus.
People used to moan about it.

And what was Bernard Matthews like to work for as a company anyway?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A nice fumble with the sexy receptionist ...... but then I wake up and find we get bugger all ( not even a Christmas drink ).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Blimey.

Having read this thread, I'm going to have to review my policy! In 2013 (not all at Xmas) we will have given:

Each department has a meal out once a quarter, budget £30 pp each time
A Summer party for staff, their partners and their kids. Free food (we bring in 5 external caterers), free drink, 5 external providers of kids' fun things, we hire proper fairground dodgems etc
A Christmas party for staff and their partners. Free food, free bar, two live bands, DJ. Budget £150 pp
A Christmas gift - typically a turkey and three bottles of wine (Champagne, a white and a red). Equivalents for non meat-eaters and teetotallers. Budget £150 pp
A bonus linked to company profitability. N % of salary. Paid in Dec pay packet. 2013, N = 36%.

Plus the tax/NI on the above.

And still some miserable gits moan! Mind you, they won't have the opportunity to moan next year - they won't be around to moan about it!

EDIT: Oh, and we provide free taxis to and from the summer and Xmas parties.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The undying admiration and respect of the Great British Public.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When I worked in a garage and we had to work a half-day on X'mas eve, the boss arrived just as were clocking off and gave us all a fresh turkey. They were all 20lb plus and as we had no idea we were going to get these, we had all bought our X'mas food already. They wouldn't fit in most ovens so I guess a lot were dumped, mine was.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Mind you, they won't have the opportunity to moan next year - they won't be around to moan about it!

The air hangs heavy with your threat Goldstone1976. What are you going to do to the moaners?? You sound like a great employer by the way - no doubt people appreciate a bit of attention and generosity at work (apart from the moaners. Who soon won't be moaning).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Certainly .... and vomit down your uniform on xmas eve !

That's not a Christmas Special in itself, the festive element is that it smells of Bailey's :)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We get a generous two weeks off. As well as a paid for christmas party with accommodation and the next day to sleep it off. I am certainly not moaning about that, we get looked after well at christmas. Having said that I'm missing the party this year as I am away.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Get diddly squat at this company.

Previous company we got a weeks wages cash not taxed, which was bloody fantastic.

When I was a butcher back in 1889 at M6 Cash & Carry we would get a food hamper containing everything you need for Christmas including Turkey, different meats, fruit, tin shit and wine, beer and a bottle of whisky, them wuz the dayz

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The air hangs heavy with your threat Goldstone1976. What are you going to do to the moaners?? You sound like a great employer by the way - no doubt people appreciate a bit of attention and generosity at work (apart from the moaners. Who soon won't be moaning).

Yeah, I know. I did wonder whether I should put that bit in. TBH, this thread has helped cement my views on the subject. So many people get so little from their employers and I know we provide a great deal.

That's always been my policy: treat people how you would want to be treated. So I do. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same attitude in return. What the last couple of years has shown me (and this thread has cemented) is that no matter how much we do, no matter how hard we try, it will never be enough for some people. I can no longer be bothered with those sorts of people. I'd much rather give their job to someone who isn't going to complain about what are after all un-contracted extras that the vast majority appreciate and enjoy. The threat probably applies to 4 people, so a small percentage of the employees.

I'd rather have people inside the tent p*ssing out, than outside the tent p*ssing in.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, I know. I did wonder whether I should put that bit in. TBH, this thread has helped cement my views on the subject. So many people get so little from their employers and I know we provide a great deal.

That's always been my policy: treat people how you would want to be treated. So I do. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same attitude in return. What the last couple of years has shown me (and this thread has cemented) is that no matter how much we do, no matter how hard we try, it will never be enough for some people. I can no longer be bothered with those sorts of people. I'd much rather give their job to someone who isn't going to complain about what are after all un-contracted extras that the vast majority appreciate and enjoy. The threat probably applies to 4 people, so a small percentage of the employees.

I'd rather have people inside the tent p*ssing out, than outside the tent p*ssing in.

What does your company do?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Blimey.

Having read this thread, I'm going to have to review my policy! In 2013 (not all at Xmas) we will have given:

Each department has a meal out once a quarter, budget £30 pp each time
A Summer party for staff, their partners and their kids. Free food (we bring in 5 external caterers), free drink, 5 external providers of kids' fun things, we hire proper fairground dodgems etc
A Christmas party for staff and their partners. Free food, free bar, two live bands, DJ. Budget £150 pp
A Christmas gift - typically a turkey and three bottles of wine (Champagne, a white and a red). Equivalents for non meat-eaters and teetotallers. Budget £150 pp
A bonus linked to company profitability. N % of salary. Paid in Dec pay packet. 2013, N = 36%.

Plus the tax/NI on the above.

And still some miserable gits moan! Mind you, they won't have the opportunity to moan next year - they won't be around to moan about it!

EDIT: Oh, and we provide free taxis to and from the summer and Xmas parties.

You don't fancy a Hove based employee do you ?

PS - I NEVER moan :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here