Do you get any "extras" from work at Christmas

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I know the feeling....for every 100 applicants I get for a job...99 fail to show. It surprises me how few young women want to work in an abattoir.

That's ridiculous, am I being wildly presumptious to think that the figure is down to many job seekers only having to show evidence of applying for jobs, in order to receive benefits?

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Blimey.

Having read this thread, I'm going to have to review my policy! In 2013 (not all at Xmas) we will have given:

Each department has a meal out once a quarter, budget £30 pp each time
A Summer party for staff, their partners and their kids. Free food (we bring in 5 external caterers), free drink, 5 external providers of kids' fun things, we hire proper fairground dodgems etc
A Christmas party for staff and their partners. Free food, free bar, two live bands, DJ. Budget £150 pp
A Christmas gift - typically a turkey and three bottles of wine (Champagne, a white and a red). Equivalents for non meat-eaters and teetotallers. Budget £150 pp
A bonus linked to company profitability. N % of salary. Paid in Dec pay packet. 2013, N = 36%.

Plus the tax/NI on the above.

And still some miserable gits moan! Mind you, they won't have the opportunity to moan next year - they won't be around to moan about it!

EDIT: Oh, and we provide free taxis to and from the summer and Xmas parties.

This can't be real!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This can't be real!

I don't know, we have a summer party and a xmas party at a swanky London joint, all paid for, plus a department xmas meal out, paid for. We don't get the gifts, but we do get a money bonus - although that's really an annual bonus, but it happens to come around xmas - not the £20k bonuses I used to get, but still get something reasonable.

meeching gull

Sep 18, 2010
Boat Alley
Get 15% off money I spend with them + a swanky party at Newhaven Railway club
which I have the joy of paying a fiver for :tosser: s
Glad to say they can stick it up their arses

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 100

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The last couple of years, we have been lucky enough to receive a Christmas bonus. However that has usually been a small something in lieu of a inflationary pay rise - hard financial times and all that. It is the same again this year - no payrise, but a little bit of money that will go towards a new road bike.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
More often than not we get a Christmas bonus which can be decent depending on company results and got a half day on Thursday for our Christmas event, all paid for (although we do have to expense it!)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think Arcadia are the stingiest company I have ever worked for. I was security in a number of their stores for a while. At the Christmas party I was told that although everyone else was paid for I had to pay for myself. I got up and walked out. When they had a store of the year competition I stayed late and painted all the back of house and cleared all store-rooms etc. Took me days. It looked mint. We won. All staff in the store got £50 cash. I never got a penny. When I asked where my money was the manager said "We have to draw the line somewhere". It was then I vowed I would never work for a boss again if I could help it. Haven't done so for 5 years.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why doesn't the Job Centre give bonuses at Christmas?

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Used to get a extra £100 in our December pay packet. Now we get 15% staff discount instead of 10% for four weeks over Christmas and New Year. *******s! Yo do the maths meaning we would have to spend a fortune to get the extra £100 back, plus it means they get all my wages back in their till. Clever ploy by them really.

Oh they also stick a note in the wage slip thanking us for all our extra work.

I was a nice boss and one year gave my team a crate of beer each for their hard work when they did a night shift for me to get everything ready for the post christmas sales. Where as my boss shock my hand and said well done.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
My boss bought all seven of us on our team iPad minis, which was completely out of character as he has never bought so much as a tin of sweets to share in the past.

We get the usual Christmas party etc too, and this morning walked into the kitchen to find that the company have bought a keg of home-brewed real ale for us to enjoy. After a couple of pints I'm beginning to think it might be stronger than the 4.5% ABV written on the label.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I might come back to this thread next time I see you private sector workers moaning about the "cushy" public sector :)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Used to get a extra £100 in our December pay packet. Now we get 15% staff discount instead of 10% for four weeks over Christmas and New Year. *******s! Yo do the maths meaning we would have to spend a fortune to get the extra £100 back, plus it means they get all my wages back in their till. Clever ploy by them really.

Oh they also stick a note in the wage slip thanking us for all our extra work.

I was a nice boss and one year gave my team a crate of beer each for their hard work when they did a night shift for me to get everything ready for the post christmas sales. Where as my boss shock my hand and said well done.

Sainsbury's? Sounds about right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My other half's firm does have a bonus paid out just before Christmas but if you've had any time off sick, then it is reduced pro rata. Unfortunately he was in hospital last year and this, so no bonus again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports