Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you get any "extras" from work at Christmas

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We give everyone a small bonus, enough to buy a piece of meat and the Christmas booze, and then we have a free food and booze Christmas Meal. Normally do a little ad hoc "thank you" through the year for good sales, low wastage etc.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What does your company do?

This one is a technical science/engineering consultancy providing full product development (from a blank piece of paper through to product in the market) to the medical, automotive and consumer markets.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Blimey.

Having read this thread, I'm going to have to review my policy! In 2013 (not all at Xmas) we will have given:

Each department has a meal out once a quarter, budget £30 pp each time
A Summer party for staff, their partners and their kids. Free food (we bring in 5 external caterers), free drink, 5 external providers of kids' fun things, we hire proper fairground dodgems etc
A Christmas party for staff and their partners. Free food, free bar, two live bands, DJ. Budget £150 pp
A Christmas gift - typically a turkey and three bottles of wine (Champagne, a white and a red). Equivalents for non meat-eaters and teetotallers. Budget £150 pp
A bonus linked to company profitability. N % of salary. Paid in Dec pay packet. 2013, N = 36%.

Plus the tax/NI on the above.

And still some miserable gits moan! Mind you, they won't have the opportunity to moan next year - they won't be around to moan about it!

EDIT: Oh, and we provide free taxis to and from the summer and Xmas parties.

Any jobs going spare?

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I have several friends in London having a swish xmas do and nice sizable bonuses... but just about everyone I know in Brighton receiving bugger all. Not trying to be ungrateful because I understand the economical circumstances of my particular market (legal aid) - but it would be nice to have a few financial perks every now and then!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
We get a £30 donation to an Xmas meal. We used to be able to chose which but this year have been told which (not really a problem) Also get a half day paid leave as we get sent home on the last day. For the last two years I have been on project work so we end up working late anyway despite directors popping by and saying to go home, tey always give us a nice smile and thanks for all the work. Its not a hardship really.

Other than that this year I am getting a night out paid for by the company, so tomorrow we are all off for a meal and then night drinking on a tab. It's a nice way for them to thank us for the silly hours on the project.

If I get one more promotion I will also get a 20% bonus. I have been battling for this to be extended to all levels as think it adds to the 'us and them' culture

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Any jobs going spare?

I'm really hoping it's synchronous optical networking

You don't fancy a Hove based employee do you ?

PS - I NEVER moan :)

We're pretty much always hiring, and will definitely hire a truly exceptional candidate even if we don't have a specific vacancy at the time. Truly exceptional people will get themselves busy anyway.

Typical new employee: Minimum: 2:1 (from a decent uni) in a science/maths/engineering discipline with 3 years post qual experience (unless you're a new graduate joining the trainee scheme). 60% have a Master's; 33% a PhD. Some travel involved - 25% -ish - to US and Asia to work with clients. If you're technically very strong that's enough. If you can marry that with an extrovert personality (very rare), you'll have a complete ball.

Plus: admin/marketing/finance/HR etc.

Locations: 4 in the UK, 3 in the US, Singapore, Tokyo, HK, Sydney.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We're pretty much always hiring, and will definitely hire a truly exceptional candidate even if we don't have a specific vacancy at the time. Truly exceptional people will get themselves busy anyway.

Typical new employee: Minimum: 2:1 (from a decent uni) in a science/maths/engineering discipline with 3 years post qual experience (unless you're a new graduate joining the trainee scheme). 60% have a Master's; 33% a PhD.

You have just alienated 99% of NSC, thanks for nothing.

PS any char ladies jobs going ?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Free xmas meal and boogie up in Kensington this year. Includes free travel, taxis, hotel and bar.
End of year bonus.

Can't complain.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Typical new employee: Minimum: 2:1 (from a decent uni) in a science/maths/engineering discipline with 3 years post qual experience (unless you're a new graduate joining the trainee scheme). 60% have a Master's; 33% a PhD. Some travel involved - 25% -ish - to US and Asia to work with clients. If you're technically very strong that's enough. If you can marry that with an extrovert personality (very rare), you'll have a complete ball.

Plus: admin/marketing/finance/HR etc.

Locations: 4 in the UK, 3 in the US, Singapore, Tokyo, HK, Sydney.

I feel lik a proper underachiever now ;-)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We get an increase on our colleague discount (usually 10%, but goes up to 15%)...might be more if we hit a target soon but that's not guaranteed. It's not much, but does help towards buying stuff from the company, especially at this time of year.

As i'm self employed too, i might allow myself a bit longer in bed one day. If i've been a good boy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here