• No - the concept is horsesh*t

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Luke Friend will win the X Factor

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
How does all this apply with animals ? Do they get their comeuppance ? What do Chameleons know of Karma ?

Animals don't act out of spite. They kill things to eat or they develop clever ways of not being eaten. Morality and spiritual growth is not relevant to them. They are truly blessed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is both regularity or necessity and contingency (total chaos, in your terminology) in the world. Put better, contingency inhabits regularity. Philosophically, I've been dealing with ontology -- the study of being -- thus far. But what you're also asking is how we understand the world. Philosophically, this is known as epistemology -- the study of knowledge. Given there is total chaos as you claim, or that total chaos -- contingency, in philosophical terms -- inhabits necessity -- laws of science, regularity, order, and so on -- in my terms, we need to put order on this world in order to understand it and deal with it. We do this through various forms of knowledge -- science, philosophy, and so on -- and also various mechanisms so that we can cope with life -- I have habits primarily in mind here.

Thanks for that....................noted.............what?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I believe that good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people. There is no cosmic balancing act to reward moral acts, just as immoral acts also go unpunished. A little fatalistic, but hey ho.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I have a sometime fear of just desserts, but that probably keeps me on the straight and narrow or readjusts me from the path of pure schadenfreudian revelry. When out cycling i sometimes wish for the more dangerous of the two-wheeled breed to have a little accident, and i have noticed on a number of occasions i am on the receiving end of a puncture on that journey, or a supposedly puncture-proof tyre is. That has me think that i shouldn't judge so much and let people be themselves, even if they're knob-ends. But i like to think that if i don't wish for a mishap and happen to chance upon the glancing of one, then i have the right to have a satisfied good chuckle.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Cats can be very cruel and spiteful.

You know what they're doing? They're honing their killer abilities by playing with mice or birds. It's not spite. It's practice.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Yes I do believe in karma. Therefore we will see a repeat of this in Perth, because Mitchell has been jolly unpleasant to our chaps and deserves a bit of payback.....

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Yes but more importantly I try and live my life that way!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Just go with Bill Hicks.

"The headlines tonight. Today a young man on acid realised that we are all facets of a God who is experiencing himself subjectively, there is no death and all matter is just energy vibrating at different frequencies..now over to Bob with sports"

That's pretty much how I see it, at present.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
All horsesh*t... However, the nature of the [human] brain is to ignore the randomness of events and look for patterns. Hence the "need" for God(s), Magic, Superstition and Karma. All of these are man-made inventions to explain why somethings are completely random and do not fit a nice simple pattern.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All horsesh*t... However, the nature of the [human] brain is to ignore the randomness of events and look for patterns. Hence the "need" for God(s), Magic, Superstition and Karma. All of these are man-made inventions to explain why somethings are completely random and do not fit a nice simple pattern.

Without belief in some sort of 'reason' and 'natural justice' our true insignificance in the cosmos would crush us ... or perhaps liberate us.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
karma is just a sanskrit word for "action."

But regarding what I think the OP is after.....

All energy seeks to return to equilibrium, and each effect has a cause.

But, things don't necessarily balance out over just one human lifetime.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

heheh....oh how the folly of man is so rife in such material times.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I prefer Madras to be honest.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Absolutely no such thing. It's just people deluding themselves that the Universe is fair, just and balanced. In reality it is just a random series of chance events and circumstances. Any anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise is nothing more than pure coincidence. That's just how it is, no matter which way you try and twist the argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here