Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you believe Hughton can put together a top 6 side?

Can Hughton build a top 6 side

• Yes

Votes: 170 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 112 39.7%

• Total voters

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He has shown nothing in half a season to suggest he can motivate players enough to get us into the top six/ two. Not the man we need to get us promoted. He had 2 games to evaluate players and who did he play? Carayol FFS! I hope that wasn't a 'let's see what he can do before we make a bid' look.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think he can as he has proved this before with Brum, Newcastle and Norwich but I am not sure he will unless we change our transfer policy. I certainly don't think he will next season, I will be happy with midtable and some improvement shown in order to kick on the seasons after.

As the wise people on this thread have said, the question should be will the board provide the funds to build a top 6 team. At this stage, only they know that.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
And Birmingham?

Yes, he got a (then) yo yo club to the play offs

My concern is about the here and now. He hasn't really done any better than a universally castigated Hypia. It's easy to blame the players but I don't get how good players of the past 1/2 seasons now look rubbish.

I'm not confident but hope I'm wrong, if for no other reason than I don't want to be served up the rubbish I've endured this season all over again

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No. If we don't learn from the disasterous sale of Leo, and sell on Kayal this summer then I see another relegation year looming.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
1 win in our last 10 matches.....played the same formation throughout....hardly entertaining either..will there be 3 worse teams next year?
Yesterday he changed things playing 3 at the back which worked so well Watford made a sub after 30mins to change their formation. I thought we played fairly well yesterday just lacking in the final third - out story all season. If we'd have had Deeney rather than O'Grady upfront we would have won yesterday.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In essence, this. We need a right good clear out and give the guy a chance to build something. Won't suit the 'I want to be 20 points clear by Xmas instant success' merchants but it WILL take a season or so.

The problem being again in essence we possibly don't have a season or two.
The 5 year point at the end of next season and the significant renewals that come with it represent a huge income stream for the club.
Fans have to see real progress, not rocket science I know, but as the real attendances in the last few months rather than the 'Thatcher dole figure' ones clearly indicate that for a number of supporters the honeymoon period is well and truly over.

Stumpy Tim

Yes, he got a (then) yo yo club to the play offs

My concern is about the here and now. He hasn't really done any better than a universally castigated Hypia. It's easy to blame the players but I don't get how good players of the past 1/2 seasons now look rubbish.

I'm not confident but hope I'm wrong, if for no other reason than I don't want to be served up the rubbish I've endured this season all over again

The difference between us under Hughton & Hyppia is significant. Hyppia had all our easy games at home, and lost most of them. We were dominated by Rotherham& Wigna at home, and were lucky to get 4 points from those games.

Under Hughton we've actually had plenty of possession & looked decent. Unfortunately he hasn't managed to fix the problems we have in the final third. That problem isn't a tactical one (which Hughton has fixed), it's a personnel problem. We have the summer to rectify that

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
I can't see us getting enough quality players. We need a proven goal scorer up front and they cost. I think Dunk will go so we basically will need a new defence yet more funds...all within FFP. Next season will be a lot less losses but our game will be about nullifying the opposition so could be quite boring. Could be edges of the play offs but that's about it

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need a whole new spine of a team, centre half to replace Upson, creative midfield to replace Bridcutt/Buckley and strikers to replace Barnes/Ulloa and that won't come cheap
And a left back to replace Ward.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Unfortunately I don't think he can. CH is by nature an extremely cautious coach, I think he will keep us in the Championship but lacks the flair to get promotion. More critically, I don't think he will get much financial support to rebuild.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I'm afraid not we are running the playing side of the club on a shoestring! Supporters Premier league! Stadium Premier league! Players Div 1 at best! We are a small club with no ambition at the moment!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
As the poll results currently show, it's pretty much 50/50. I want to believe that CH will be able to build a top 6 team but:-

1. Will he get enough transfer funds
2. Will he get enough wages allocation
3. Can we secure the players we target - our recent history shows that we consistently struggle with this
4. Does CH have the skills to find a formation that works once the player recruitment has been completed

I'm not sure anyone can be confident with any of these at the moment.

I voted yes as I am usually a glass is half full type of guy, the reality is there are just too many variables at this point to have any level of confidence.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The difference between us under Hughton & Hyppia is significant. Hyppia had all our easy games at home, and lost most of them. We were dominated by Rotherham& Wigna at home, and were lucky to get 4 points from those games.

Under Hughton we've actually had plenty of possession & looked decent. Unfortunately he hasn't managed to fix the problems we have in the final third. That problem isn't a tactical one (which Hughton has fixed), it's a personnel problem. We have the summer to rectify that

I can't go along with the idea that Hughton has had tougher games than Hypia although I do agree that he has dealt with the tactical ineptness.

It's all supposition for now but I hope the 50% that think he can do it are right

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He can do it but, as has been pointed out, he must be supported by the board. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Give the guy a chance...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think he can; however, the problem is going to be how quickly he can off-load what he needs to off-load in order to free up funds for new signings.

I am not opposed to loan signings as many other people are. You can get some good loan players who maybe just on fringes of Premiership teams or who maybe just don't fit into the system their current team plays but either way he really needs to cull the current squad dramatically and quickly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here