Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you Albion fans get offended when ....

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
opposing fans always chant homophobic chants such as 'does ur boyfriend know you're here' or 'we forget that you were queer'

For me it's a bit pathetic. It's not as if you haven't heard it before and I bet every opposing fan that sings it thinks they're the only one that does.

But do you get offended by it or is it just banter?

The reason I ask is because of the article below. Is it not just part and parcel of the game?

Police want Saints fans' help to beat homophobic chanting at St. Mary's From Daily Echo)

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
You offend me, you know full well the vast majority of Brighton fans don't give a flying f*** about the chants you mention and the link was on here earlier. so for the 1st time ever...
Fixtures :cheery::cheery:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Nah. If anything I sort of enjoy it as it gives us a chance to give something back. However I'm not gay, so depends whether they would find it offensive or not.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
By responding it makes it look like I care..... But a message to all away fans.... Honest I don't, just ask my boyfriend, he'll tell ya!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
You offend me, you know full well the vast majority of Brighton fans don't give a flying f*** about the chants you mention and the link was on here earlier. so for the 1st time ever...
Fixtures :cheery::cheery:

Huh?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
opposing fans always chant homophobic chants such as 'does ur boyfriend know you're here' or 'we forget that you were queer'

For me it's a bit pathetic. It's not as if you haven't heard it before and I bet every opposing fan that sings it thinks they're the only one that does.

But do you get offended by it or is it just banter?

The reason I ask is because of the article below. Is it not just part and parcel of the game?

Police want Saints fans' help to beat homophobic chanting at St. Mary's From Daily Echo)

Personally i think it's just banter and 'a bit of a laugh'. Very few will be offended by it, if at all. The ones who speak out and say it's an abomination, i suspect have issues, they certainly don't do it because 'they love the gays'. I suspect people are doing it for their own personal gain, looks good on the cv etc, 'look at me what a great social justice reformer/campaigner i am'. :shootself

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Not for me to be offended but the authorities have at long last decided it is time to do something about it.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think many Brighton fans are offended by it. Perhaps the ones who do get offended aren't comfortable with their sexuality? ???

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
One of the best reposts is to turn the question on the OP. Just as the NSCers did to the Barnsley fans who were making such homophobic chants after the game, appear to get turned on and invite them for a homoerotic experience. Really got under the Tykes skins!

Secondly I would ask the Saints fan what he thinks of the racist posts on some of their forums over the last few days calling Poyet a monkey?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I am not offended. But my boyfriend is

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Not for me to be offended but the authorities have at long last decided it is time to do something about it.

Not quite sure what they will do when we roll up at Elland road to face 20,000 yorkshireman singing does your boyfriend no you're here. Ban them all?????

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
no..

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

)[/url]

These don't offend me but I have heard some horrible chants about having AIDS which I think is too far and unacceptable.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
One of the best reposts is to turn the question on the OP. Just as the NSCers did to the Barnsley fans who were making such homophobic chants after the game, appear to get turned on and invite them for a homoerotic experience. Really got under the Tykes skins!

Secondly I would ask the Saints fan what he thinks of the racist posts on some of their forums over the last few days calling Poyet a monkey?

Dunno it wasnt me. Can't help but chuckle though.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Good game.
My question to the OP.
Will you be listening to the game on radio sussex or Radio Solent?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A while back someone complained about homophobic abuse. Most on here seemed to assume someone reported one of those chants.

It's unclear if this is the case and some fan has taken it on himself to raise a point about the imbalance in the kick prejudice out of football when comparing racism to homophobia, if that person is genuinely offended by the chants, or if the complaint had nothing to do with the chants, but was in fact someone complaining about something more vile and individual/

Around this time, [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] had started a thread reporting some graphic comments that were delivered his way, (though he has said it wasn't him that complained) so clearly there are individual incidents of homophobic abuse that we don't see, so to automatically assume the complaint related to the chants is risky.

But, all the discussions at the time seems to have almost unanimously agreed that the 'does your boyfriend know you're here?' and 'we can see you holding hands' is just banter, albeit completely unoriginal and dull. I think the action is more at the individual who gets carried away with personal, graphic and/or vile abuse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here