Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Do we need statute of limitations for historic allegations?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This man ticks the following boxes:
a man
White
Straight
Rich/upper class or part of establishment
Middle-aged or elderly
British

A more indefensible combination you will not find in today’s world. Accuse him of witchcraft and climate change too for the full house. It matters not what accusation is, he’s guilty. And I don’t even have an opinion on the bloke, imagine if those who’ve got an axe to grind?!

that demographic is accountable in the eyes of law as well

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So any victim of historical abuse should just "get over it"? That's what you are suggesting - right?

Not any, just not someone who had their bum pinched many years ago in very different times. My wife says that if her bum had not been pinched in the office she would have wondered what was wrong with her.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Oh come on now, its really not on to give the full story, as that doesn't support the OP's point!

Makes me wonder whether this topic would have a very different slant if the alleged victim had been the OP's family offspring that was groped 2 years ago?

Groped, pinched or smacked?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am very surprised the Spanish government hasn’t approached the city of Rome for war reparations when the population of Hispania was enslaved and basically sent down the mines to work until they died.

They were nasty ******** them Romans!

I hear you but Romans are not a thing today whereas the uk still harps back to its imperial past

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not any, just not someone who had their bum pinched many years ago in very different times. My wife says that if her bum had not been pinched in the office she would have wondered what was wrong with her.

Is 2003 “different times”?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I was walking along Brighton Prom today past David Gilmours fabulous home and then up to George street past all these wonderful Victorian homes now all flats and was thinking how our Georgian and Victorian forefathers could built Britain its railways, canals, whole towns, cities, museums with amazing artefacts, while today to build one fabulous home it takes a millionaire in this case a rockstar.

I do think we need to reflect upon our past history and face up to the fact that an awful lot of what we have today was gained through war, imperialism, slavery and theft.

Certainly not slavery. Britain never had slavery in law except under the Romans, and de facto slavery more or less disappeared after the Black Death. And, of course, the British Empire abolished slavery long before the rest of the world. France had abolished it during the revolution but was just re-introducing it at the time Britain was abolishing it for good. Slavery was a competitive disadvantage for Britain, not an advantage.

As for war, imperialism, and theft - were we any worse than the rest of the world? Was Africa a haven of peace and justice, or a collection of tribal lands where slavery was rife? Was India a peaceful land where widows got a pension, or was it a place of war where widows had to jump on their husband's funeral pyre?

Britain gets far too much stick IMO for following the rules and mores of the time and far too little credit IMO for being among the first to challenge and change those rules and mores.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Certainly not slavery. Britain never had slavery in law except under the Romans, and de facto slavery more or less disappeared after the Black Death. And, of course, the British Empire abolished slavery long before the rest of the world. France had abolished it during the revolution but was just re-introducing it at the time Britain was abolishing it for good. Slavery was a competitive disadvantage for Britain, not an advantage.

As for war, imperialism, and theft - were we any worse than the rest of the world? Was Africa a haven of peace and justice, or a collection of tribal lands where slavery was rife? Was India a peaceful land where widows got a pension, or was it a place of war where widows had to jump on their husband's funeral pyre?

Britain gets far too much stick IMO for following the rules and mores of the time and far too little credit IMO for being among the first to challenge and change those rules and mores.

eh?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

liverpool, and therefore burnley, would barely exist without slavery. agenda?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
liverpool, and therefore burnley, would barely exist without slavery. agenda?
I doubt that the cotton trade would have failed to exist if the cotton had to be picked by penniless sharecroppers rather than penniless slaves. Cotton would still have been exported to Lancashire.

In the 1860's, the people of Burnley were working 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year, annual holidays consisting of Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Sunday schools for children. Not slavery, but not luxury either. Does that upset me? Not a bit. Does it drive my agenda? Not a bit.

All the world had slaves. It doesn't mean all the world got rich. The industrial revolution was what drove the wealth creation in the UK and (later) around the world; not slavery.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I don't think there is a limit on mentioning something shitty that someone else did. Stanley Johnson will suffer no consequences, Michael Vaughan might lose some work, but only if he continues to look like he is a bit racist and unapologetic about it.

In addition to these two there are many others who did similar things or worse who will never ever be brought to account. They will also never suffer any consequences.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I doubt that the cotton trade would have failed to exist if the cotton had to be picked by penniless sharecroppers rather than penniless slaves. Cotton would still have been exported to Lancashire.

In the 1860's, the people of Burnley were working 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year, annual holidays consisting of Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Sunday schools for children. Not slavery, but not luxury either. Does that upset me? Not a bit. Does it drive my agenda? Not a bit.

All the world had slaves. It doesn't mean all the world got rich. The industrial revolution was what drove the wealth creation in the UK and (later) around the world; not slavery.

Yeah, I know, it was the same down here. Appropriating everyone else's resources did allow us to do an incredible amount of r & d

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Nadine Dorries has basically called the women who accused Johnson of groping them, liars, because he never groped her.

I was never killed by Jack the Ripper , it doesn’t mean he never killed anyone.

Thick as a whale meat sandwich.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nadine Dorries has basically called the women who accused Johnson of groping them, liars, because he never groped her.

I was never killed by Jack the Ripper , it doesn’t mean he never killed anyone.

Thick as a whale meat sandwich.

She also called him a gentleman despite evidence he broke his wife’s nose in a domestic violent attack.
If she had a brain cell, she’d be dangerous.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well there are areas of London that fit that bill so what's the Problem?

Regards
DF

He's made the assumption that the non-English people can't/don't speak English. That's ignorant at best and racist at worst.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He's made the assumption that the non-English people can't/don't speak English. That's ignorant at best and racist at worst.

I don't agree. Looking back over some of my old posts in Twitter and Facebook, absolutists would be very confused.

In a couple of posts I describe how much I love London with its fusion of different cultures and languages and I also talk of how I feel multi-culuturism doesn't work in its intended application. I also talk of my love for Leicester- whilst describing it as 'Little Lahore'.

I have a real problem with how folk are so quick to judge these days on a few words. We have a problem with a new liberal form of puritanism.

I read what Vaughan wrote, it's just an opinion to me. In fact, not really an opinion, just a throw away comment. I happen to, as said above, love the international feel of London. It's obviously not for everyone. The French say the same about us in some of the Dordogne villages.

Vaughan's comment is a bit like Farage's re: the underground but much more an observation. Either way, I just shrugged my shoulders and thought 'not my view of it'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here