Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we NEED a better shot stopper between the posts?

Do we need a better shot stopper between the posts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In the context of how we are drilled to play, there was nothing at all wrong with the ball Steele played out. It unravelled from the point that Pascal Groß underhit his lay-off to Baleba.

When the staff do their analysis, they will undoubtedly find two players at fault. One is Groß. The other is Dunk, who is too deep, and is slow to close down the shot. As well as putting no pressure on the player taking the shot, his position also means that Steele sees it later than he otherwise would - leaving him helpless.
Near perfect analysis of the issues with their goal. I also suspect that they might query Baleba being a little slow on react to Gross' admittedly misplaced pass.

Trying to pin this goal on Steele is ridiculous. And just an observation for all those who claimed that the 'not' sorely missed Sanchez was a better shot stopper than Steele. Look at Brentford's first goal at Chelsea. Yes it's a free header at the back post and difficult to save but Sanchez is rooted to the spot like a statue. It was begging for the classic Peter Schmeichel ' star jump ' whereby you might get lucky with one of your limbs.

The fact that Steele was selected yesterday tells you RDZ perhaps not totally convinced by Bart

What was the perfectly reasonable question?

What I saw was ' I think he's shit, do you agree or do we need a better keeper'. Followed by a bunch of 'lickers' reminding us all that they are very odd indeed, with a shack full of pitchforks no doubt.

I wasn't a fan of Steele, thought it an insane decision to bring him in for Bob despite Bob's gaffes. He's proved that belief wrong though.

For the simple amongst us, not every goal is the goalkeepers fault. There are 10 others playing alongside him.
I agree with all of what you are saying. The question itself is regarding the change of keeper, but your interpretation is probably more accurate!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
In the context of how we are drilled to play, there was nothing at all wrong with the ball Steele played out. It unravelled from the point that Pascal Groß underhit his lay-off to Baleba.

When the staff do their analysis, they will undoubtedly find two players at fault. One is Groß. The other is Dunk, who is too deep, and is slow to close down the shot. As well as putting no pressure on the player taking the shot, his position also means that Steele sees it later than he otherwise would - leaving him helpless.
I’m not disputing the after it wouldn’t have happened if Steele hadn’t put Pascal under pressure to get away from two players close to the box. You can discuss what happened after the pass on both occasions although the outcome is the same, we’ve gifted two goals in two matches from the same mistake which were both avoidable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’m not disputing the after it wouldn’t have happened if Steele hadn’t put Pascal under pressure to get away from two players close to the box. You can discuss what happened after the pass on both occasions although the outcome is the same, we’ve gifted two goals in two matches from the same mistake which were both avoidable.
But the pass to Groß, is NOT in itself a mistake - not unless you are calling for DeZerbi to completely abandon his style of play.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
OP has decided that Steele is a poor shot stopper so has rustled up this pseudo-poll that gives no option for Steele not being a poor shot stopper. Don't demean yourself by voting

In all honesty I didn't believe there would be any one who believed that Steele was not a poor shot stopper. I figured it was an objective truth that we all recognised, which we accept due to his qualities on the ball and with distribution.

I mean, he is near the bottom of the league of nearly all 'expected goals' statistics. I honestly don't believe I'm being unfair about this at all.

See: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

I don’t see the issue with this. It’s a football fans’ forum and it’s a perfectly reasonable poll to give a quantified idea of what fans opinion is on this given that it seems to have been an on going discussion over the past few weeks.
Look at the two options - it's an obviously bent poll. I don't believe you can make a genuine case for "reasonableness" here

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
current approach is high risk and high reward

far prefer it to 2 home wins a year say 2 or 3 years ago

I expect to be entertained :thumbsup:

(I really can't believe I'm saying this about the Albion after 50 odd years)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Only two? Come on, this is NSC, Webster was on the pitch, and we conceded a goal, ergo, Webster was at fault.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The real reason people are getting their knickers in a twist is because we've lost Caicedo who protected the defence so well.

The way Baleba, Gilmour, and on Sunday Dahoud are integrating, adapting and improving suggests the pressure will soon fall away from Steele , we'll be better protected and concede less as a consequence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here