Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we NEED a better shot stopper between the posts?

Do we need a better shot stopper between the posts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Steele plays how the manager wants fine no issues. He still has to think for himself, we’ve thrown away four points in two league games from that central pass out when getting pressed high up the pitch. Are our keepers stupid or what?
In the context of how we are drilled to play, there was nothing at all wrong with the ball Steele played out. It unravelled from the point that Pascal Groß underhit his lay-off to Baleba.

When the staff do their analysis, they will undoubtedly find two players at fault. One is Groß. The other is Dunk, who is too deep, and is slow to close down the shot. As well as putting no pressure on the player taking the shot, his position also means that Steele sees it later than he otherwise would - leaving him helpless.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Surely as we progress and improve, then our team will need upgrading in different areas for us to continue to improve. We've spent many years on here banging on about needing better strikers; that has now been sorted. Surely if you accept that there is always scope to improve the team, then you would look at our team and say that GK (along with defence and defensive mid) would be the next areas to try and improve?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Depends what you mean by 'need'. Could Steele be improved? Yes. Is he bad enough for it to be a problem where we are currently? No.

I'm sure Verbruggen is the long-term first choice anyway.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Are you thinking this is in anyway a serious poll where percentages are at all relevant? What are the numbers beyond the percentages in a poll with no relevant option to select.

Come on Bob, just drop it (sorry, couldn't resist!)
I've heard on the club grapevine that RDZ, Weir, Barber, Bloom et al make all their recruitment decisions based entirely not on some magical algorithm but on the results of polls posted on NSC.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
What a fair and balanced poll.

IMG_7632.jpeg

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Steele had no chance with the goal yesterday, but a better goalkeeper would have done. The choice to play Steele despite his goalkeeping ability is costing us goals, points and wins. I think he's costing far more than he's adding right now.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
So the options for the poll are a) he’s a poor shot stopper or b) he’s a poor shot stopper…

After a game in which no keepers save their goal.

Unfortunately a goalkeeper who is as good as steele is with the ball at his feet, distribution, communication, claiming crosses etc… AND is an amazing shot stopper probably doesn’t play for Brighton (or at least not for very long). You’re basically describing Allison/Ederson.

If what’s being suggested is we prioritise a better shot stopper over other goalkeeper attributes (ball at his feet), then that changes our style of play pretty significantly.

& if we could get hold of this dream goalkeeper who can do it all, well maybe the coaches think that’s going to be Bart in the longterm.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Steele had no chance with the goal yesterday, but a better goalkeeper would have done. The choice to play Steele despite his goalkeeping ability is costing us goals, points and wins. I think he's costing far more than he's adding right now.

This is exactly my view.

Steele - great guy, great attitude, EXCEPTIONAL with the ball at his feet... but he is a very poor shot stopper at this level, or even at the level below.

If a shot is straight at him, he'll save it - he has decent enough reactions and a strong hand to do that much.

The problem is that whenever there is a decent strike against him, it's a goal. He's just not quick enough off the ground. He will never make an outstanding save. Top class shot stoppers can make several of these in one game - it can really affect the outcome of matches.

Really hoping that Bart is the solution - but given his recent absence from the first team, it's not looking likely.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is exactly my view.

Steele - great guy, great attitude, EXCEPTIONAL with the ball at his feet... but he is a very poor shot stopper at this level, or even at the level below.

If a shot is straight at him, he'll save it - he has decent enough reactions and a strong hand to do that much.

The problem is that whenever there is a decent strike against him, it's a goal. He's just not quick enough off the ground. He will never make an outstanding save. Top class shot stoppers can make several of these in one game - it can really affect the outcome of matches.

Really hoping that Bart is the solution - but given his recent absence from the first team, it's not looking likely.

Given how critical an ' EXCEPTIONAL' footballing keeper is to RDZ's style of play (hence the demise of Sanchez) do you think we should be going after Allison, Ederson or did you have someone else in mind ?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Given how critical an ' EXCEPTIONAL' footballing keeper is to RDZ's style of play, do you think we should be going after Allison, Ederson or did you have someone else in mind ?

I find it difficult to believe we were just incredibly lucky to have the ONLY decent ball playing keeper in the WORLD as our number 2 sitting on our bench for years.

I'm sure our recruitment team can find an alternative, somewhere, out there.

I genuinely thought/hoped Verbruggen would be it, but his absences suggest that he's a long way from being the ball playing keeper we were hoping he would be.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I find it difficult to believe we were just incredibly lucky to have the ONLY decent ball playing keeper in the WORLD as our number 2 sitting on our bench for years.

I'm sure our recruitment team can find an alternative, somewhere, out there.

I genuinely thought/hoped Verbruggen would be it, but his absences suggest that he's a long way from being the ball playing keeper we were hoping he would be.

So you don't have any suggestions beyond I don't want his one and I don't want to wait on a 21 year old. Fairy Muff :thumbsup:

And are you going to put @nickjhs third option up so I can vote :wink:

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
So you don't have any suggestions beyond I don't want his one. Fairy Muff :thumbsup:

And are you going to put @nickjhs third option up so I can vote :wink:

I'm not paid big bucks to scout world football for top talent, watching performances and analysing all kinds of statistics and data, while being an expert in the field.

Thankfully, though, there is a team of people that do this at the club... so I'll leave the suggestions to them 👍

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not paid big bucks to scout world football for top talent, watching performances and analysing all kinds of statistics and data, while being an expert in the field.

Thankfully, though, there is a team of people that do this at the club... so I'll leave the suggestions to them 👍

Wise move. Of course what we have in the squad currently are their suggestions :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here