Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we NEED a better shot stopper between the posts?

Do we need a better shot stopper between the posts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big L for the trolls 😀

The reality is fans will always discuss every position in the team but it’s just that the anti Steele case rests on genuinely ridiculous claims that he should have saved Fulham’s goal, just brain worms

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
In all honesty I didn't believe there would be any one who believed that Steele was not a poor shot stopper. I figured it was an objective truth that we all recognised, which we accept due to his qualities on the ball and with distribution.
I mean, he is near the bottom of the league of nearly all 'expected goals' statistics. I honestly don't believe I'm being unfair about this at all.

See: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats
Don’t go using logic on NSC, it won’t work.

Steele is excellent with his feet, of that’s there’s no doubt, and RDZ values that above all else. The other stuff though…

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
New deal until 2026.
Good news - he's a decent keeper (and I also said as much when he was our no.2 keeper and some posters were wetting themselves that it would be a disaster if injuries forced us to play him!)
I understand that his footwork is a vital element in de Zerbi ball, and that he's a good character and all that - but ultimately, long term, yes of course we need a better shot-stopper to improve.
The idea that he cost us the 3 points against Fulham, as one or two have suggested, is nonsense - what isn't nonsense though is that having a good shot stopper is the reason Fulham snatched a point. Without Leno's saves they'd have been a goal down within ten minutes, and two down before Ferguson scored, and that would have been an entirely different game.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Bart Verbruggen is tipped for a brilliant future and has many desirable properties. Steele will help him develop and is a model professional, his new contract shows the faith the club have in him.

We also have a plethora of highly promising goalkeepers throughout the academy.

No need to bring in anyone else

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Bart Verbruggen is tipped for a brilliant future and has many desirable properties. Steele will help him develop and is a model professional, his new contract shows the faith the club have in him.

We also have a plethora of highly promising goalkeepers throughout the academy.

No need to bring in anyone else
This is it. Rushworth, Beadle, McGill, they are all coming through. Steele's extended deal buys us time for one of those to put their hand up and show they are truly a top class keeper.

Verbruggen's job is to keep pressuring Steele for that place, this season and next. His time will come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here