Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DJs playing Gary Glitter

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I do a bit of part time djing and have been asked if I'd play some Gary Glitter at a party next week, should I or is it really unacceptable these days? I've not played any of his stuff for years so I'm a bit uneasy about the possible reaction. How would you feel if a dj played Glitter songs, would it bother you?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its a shame as Glitter and the Glitter band did some good stuff but if you play it at home it makes you feel like a paedo.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think it is best to avoid playing any Glitter to be honest.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not really though was it. Lets be honest.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
:lolol: Anybody who thinks Micheal Jackson was shit really needs their head examining.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
MJ made some of the greatest pop songs in the entire history of pop.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
wouldn't play it at a kids party

adults shouldn't be an issue

I reckon the local council would storm the place and seize the cd's. Its not pc you see and we live in a pc world.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Actually the mention of Bill Wyman is an interesting point, likewise Chuck Berry who had sex with a 14 year old girl but playing ding a ling is still ok!

Back to the Rolling stones, Jagger and Richards had drug convictions as have many musicians, Phil Spector is a convicted murderer, Tommy Lee of Motley Crue beat his wife, even Elvis had underage sex with Priscilla! So why is it acceptable to play their music but not Glitter's?

Obviously Glitter is a sick bastard and his actions can't ever be condoned, just seems a bit odd that the perpetrators of other equally sick crimes seem to be more acceptable than he is.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
See no reason why you should not play Gary Glitters Music.
Only difference was was Gary was found guilty and MJ made a pay off to stop it going to court.
DJ's still play MJ so why not GG.
IN fact Glitter band are still going.

Jul 7, 2003
I do a bit of part time djing and have been asked if I'd play some Gary Glitter at a party next week, should I or is it really unacceptable these days? I've not played any of his stuff for years so I'm a bit uneasy about the possible reaction. How would you feel if a dj played Glitter songs, would it bother you?

If it's an party which has many 40+ people then they'll probably get up and dance and remember the old days. I just fit into that age group and, to be honest, it wouldn't bother me. As others have said, many people in music (and film) have done similar or worse and their music is still played / films still watched.

If you've already got the songs then you won't be increasing his earnings. If you haven't, download them illegally so he won't get a penny in extra royalties.

Some of the older folks on here may have gone to his gang shows back in the late 80's which were the forerunner of many of these pre-christmas shows that are around nowadays. They were a good fun night out at the time although you obviously wouldn't go these days.

It's us brits who are most offended by his music these days. If you watch US sport they often play Rock n Roll Part 2 before and/or during games.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Actually it does seem that the main difference is that Glitter was pretty much a UK artist rather than worldwide like most of the others mentioned, maybe the Johnny Foreigner doesn't worry about such things as much as we do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here