Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diver-boy Zaha [Merged threads]

What is your opinion of Wilfried Zaha?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
20 million sounds excessive, but when players like Henderson and Downing go for the same price and Carroll at 35 million, it makes you wonder what Zaha's value is in today's crazy market.
Carroll is the best example of a player going for more than he's worth, due to the fact it was a deadline day move as Torres was going for £50m. It's not a great way to estimate the value of any other player.

Who are actually saying he's the greatest talent England have seen for years?
One of the Palace posters said in on here a few days ago. Now I appreciate that poster doesn't represent the feelings of the rest of you, but it does explain why the Brighton fans here think he's overrated by some of you. It's also comments like that that lead to us taking the piss a little, instead of remaining objective about the player.

Palace fans are saying he's the greatest talent at Palace for years if not ever, likes of Holloway are saying he's something special with huge potential...but I can't imageine anyone is seriously saying he's the next best thing since Gazza
Well they didn't put an exact date on the number of years, so wouldn't necessarily be that far back, but there are currently other young talents that are better than Wini: Chamberlain (a year younger than Wini), Sterling (not even 18 yet) and Wilshere (20) are all better than Zaha. Of course we don't know how good Zaha can become, but let's keep a sense of perspective.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Carroll is the best example of a player going for more than he's worth, due to the fact it was a deadline day move as Torres was going for £50m. It's not a great way to estimate the value of any other player.

One of the Palace posters said in on here a few days ago. Now I appreciate that poster doesn't represent the feelings of the rest of you, but it does explain why the Brighton fans here think he's overrated by some of you. It's also comments like that that lead to us taking the piss a little, instead of remaining objective about the player.

Well they didn't put an exact date on the number of years, so wouldn't necessarily be that far back, but there are currently other young talents that are better than Wini: Chamberlain (a year younger than Wini), Sterling (not even 18 yet) and Wilshere (20) are all better than Zaha. Of course we don't know how good Zaha can become, but let's keep a sense of perspective.

On the BBS another poster said he was better than Maradona and Pele. So 'Overrated' is definately fair comment.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
On the BBS another poster said he was better than Maradona and Pele. So 'Overrated' is definately fair comment.

Yet we've been reading that CMS is worth at least 5 million from a considerable amount of your fans despite being 28 and never scoring more than a dozen goals in The Championship.

Every club overrates their player. Obviously Zaha isn't going to leave for 20 million but when players like Oxlade-Chamberlain who had never kicked a ball in The Champ or The Premiership gets sold for upto 12 million then I don't think you can blame us for wanting the same, if not more for Wilf.

If he goes in January, it will be a extortionate amount as it's a ridiculous time to buy players but something we're all stuck with unfortunately.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yet we've been reading that CMS is worth at least 5 million from a considerable amount of your fans despite being 28 and never scoring more than a dozen goals in The Championship.
Given that we turned down £3 or £4 million on deadline day, and he's scored 9 in 14 this season, £5m is hardly crazy talk. Palace have only been offered £4m for Zaha, so talk of £20m is premature.

when players like Oxlade-Chamberlain who had never kicked a ball in The Champ or The Premiership gets sold for upto 12 million then I don't think you can blame us for wanting the same, if not more for Wilf.
That's only because Alex was at a league 1 club. He was 2 years younger than Zaha, and had more potential. He's currently a year younger than Zaha, and he's better than Zaha, so you can see why people think Zaha is worth less.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Given that we turned down £3 or £4 million on deadline day, and he's scored 9 in 14 this season, £5m is hardly crazy talk. Palace have only been offered £4m for Zaha, so talk of £20m is premature.

That's only because Alex was at a league 1 club. He was 2 years younger than Zaha, and had more potential. He's currently a year younger than Zaha, and he's better than Zaha, so you can see why people think Zaha is worth less.

He'd also scored a similar amount at this stage last season hadn't he and went on to score, what, 11 goals? I said it on the CMS thread, if he's worth 5 million then Murray must be worth a lot at present too given he has 15 goals to his name.

Chamberlain might be considered better now, but that's because he's playing for Arsenal and not Palace. He scored 9 goals for Southampton in League One for a side that was comfortably 2nd best in the league, Zaha did the same last season for a pretty ordinary side in the division above so I don't see why he should be sold for less.

As I said, we're not going to get 20 million but with the bloated transfer fees of late, CMS being one of them I don't see why we shouldn't be looking at at least 12 million.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012

How the hell can he be two years younger than Zaha and now only a year younger than Zaha? Has zaha been placed in stasis for a year?
The amusing thing is that Brighton fans haven't understood the whole £20m thing. We've said we won't sell him in jan for less than a ridiculous figure and £20m was the figure mentioned. The reason for this is that we don't want to sell him whilst the Loadsofmoneyship appears to be a possibility. Stop talking about £20m as if its a true valuation...we'd really want at least £35m :laugh:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He'd also scored a similar amount at this stage last season hadn't he
No, he only scored 9 league goals in the whole of last year. We didn't play to his strengths, and we're getting better at that.
I said it on the CMS thread, if he's worth 5 million then Murray must be worth a lot at present too given he has 15 goals to his name.
Palace have been playing more attacking football and creating more chances. If you simply went on the number of goals, Speroni would be shit wouldn't he (ie, number of goals he's conceded).

He scored 9 goals for Southampton in League One for a side that was comfortably 2nd best in the league, Zaha did the same last season for a pretty ordinary side in the division above so I don't see why he should be sold for less.
Wini scored 6 in the Championship, and Alex was two years younger at the time.

As I said, we're not going to get 20 million but with the bloated transfer fees of late, CMS being one of them I don't see why we shouldn't be looking at at least 12 million.
Well we have no idea whether a bid is coming in for CMS, it's all rumours. Palace are very good at talking up a player, so maybe you will get £12m.

How the hell can he be two years younger than Zaha and now only a year younger than Zaha?
When Oxlade was sold to Arsenal, he was 2 years younger than Zaha is now. That affects value.

The amusing thing is that Brighton fans haven't understood the whole £20m thing. We've said we won't sell him in jan for less than a ridiculous figure and £20m was the figure mentioned.
That may be how it started, but Palace fans are claiming that's a fair value.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
That may be how it started, but Palace fans are claiming that's a fair value.[/QUOTE]

I won't argue with the rest but those claiming that, I will humbly admit, are idiots :)

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
When Oxlade was sold to Arsenal, he was 2 years younger than Zaha is now. That affects value.

That may be how it started, but Palace fans are claiming that's a fair value.

Yes however what you said was Oxlade Chamberlain was originally 2 years younger than Zaha and is now only a year younger than Zaha which as we all know is impossible. Perhaps I was being pedantic as I think I got what you were driving at even though I personally disagree with you.

And perhaps you're right about Palace fans claiming 20mill is a fair figure. Frankly I think a transfer fee above £1m for any player in the world is grossly exaggerated and a wage of over 2k a week is also obscene but thats just me. However, most Brighton fans are claiming that Parish is trying to sell him for £20m and its his valuation when quite clearly himself and Browett have made it obvious in explanations time and time again that we are not selling him in january so it'd need to be at least £20m for us to speak.

WeScored3...

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Regarding this £20 million 'valuation'...I don't personally value him at that, and nor do the Palace owners.

Parish doesn't want to sell, and stated it would take a ridiculous fee like 20 million plus in January before they even considered it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes however what you said was Oxlade Chamberlain was originally 2 years younger than Zaha and is now only a year younger than Zaha which as we all know is impossible. Perhaps I was being pedantic
You can be as pednatic as you like with me, I deserve it. However, I never said he was originally 2 years younger. Churley was saying you can't blame Palace fans for wanting as much as Alex was sold for, so I simply said he was "2 years younger (when sold) than Zaha (is now) and had more potential."

I didn't specifically say 'when sold', but that is what I meant and implied, and there's nothing wrong with that. So eat me.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
You can be as pednatic as you like with me, I deserve it. However, I never said he was originally 2 years younger. Churley was saying you can't blame Palace fans for wanting as much as Alex was sold for, so I simply said he was "2 years younger (when sold) than Zaha (is now) and had more potential."

I didn't specifically say 'when sold', but that is what I meant and implied, and there's nothing wrong with that. So eat me.

Sorry love but you're just not my type.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
"And Zaha is 3 years younger than Buckley, and seems to be less injury prone, so I expect he'll go further in the game than Buckley. People here recognise Zaha is an excellent player, they just don't agree with the £20m valuation and don't think he's the greatest English talent for years."

20 million sounds excessive, but when players like Henderson and Downing go for the same price and Carroll at 35 million, it makes you wonder what Zaha's value is in today's crazy market.

Who are actually saying he's the greatest talent England have seen for years? The press and the bandwagon that they create? Palace fans are saying he's the greatest talent at Palace for years if not ever, likes of Holloway are saying he's something special with huge potential...but I can't imageine anyone is seriously saying he's the next best thing since Gazza

You can't compare Gazza with Wilf in the way you can't compare Beckham with Gary Lineker as they play in different positions. Wilf does stuff with the ball that i've not seen any player do in 35 years at our place and that includes away players.
Gazza, imo is the finest player of my generation, by far. Had he not been a piss head and very poorly advised he could have been possibly the best player on the planet at that time. With genius comes madness, unfortunately.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There is a video clip on YouTube of the Palace v Man United game in 1971. Palace go 2 nil up before finally losing 3-5. Denis Law with a hat trick and George Best scored two goals but he also does a "Zaha" in the penalty box :lol:

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Zaha is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for him when we are willing to sell him. Until we are ready to sell him then it will take a ridiculous amount of cash for us to part with his services. Parish put it best when he said if we don't go up Zaha needs to go for his own development.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Any chance Albion fans of letting this boring thread die its death and scuttle off the main page? I'm sure some obsessed Nigel will keep it going as always though. Perhaps we Can just let them post amongst themselves without any response from us until the overrated twat buggers off to Arsenal. Just a thought.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Any chance Albion fans of letting this boring thread die its death and scuttle off the main page? I'm sure some obsessed Nigel will keep it going as always though. Perhaps we Can just let them post amongst themselves without any response from us until the overrated twat buggers off to Arsenal. Just a thought.

I agree, your fans are coming across as obsessive.
If you re post it every couple of days, I'm sure everyone will get the message .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here