Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Discipline under Poyet.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Both pre and post match he talked about the importance of the result to HIS career; he's stepped on a very wobbly rung of the managerial ladder so he'll certainly have earned it if his next step is higher.

Get used to Gus talking about HIS career. He may end up as your saviour but he will mention his desire to manage at a higher level more than he will his desire to serve your club! Still he is ambitious! Big job (excuse the pun) Big club Sunderland.....he should ply his trade there for a long time but it will not stop him wishing for his beloved Chelsea!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's the discipline on the pitch you'll need to watch out for. We were getting red cards all over the place when we first got promoted.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Funny you should mention him!

Really? Yeah he looks a little like he's enjoyed a rough night every time I see him play. But, where would you be without him? I assumed he was a fans favourite is this not the case?

Can't see Gus wanting to risk getting rid as long as he is doing the business on the pitch.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The English football world has changed so much even in that comparitively short space of time.

Not so sure that it has. I think the maxim that if you do your job well and are successful, people will turn a blind eye to your defects still applies in a lot of industries and I think this remains so in football. All that has changed in terms of the example I used is that Arsenal have stopped being successful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not so sure that it has. I think the maxim that if you do your job well and are successful, people will turn a blind eye to your defects still applies in a lot of industries and I think this remains so in football. All that has changed in terms of the example I used is that Arsenal have stopped being successful.
I've been trying to think of the manager that was run out of his job for off field problems.

My point is we were never splashed all over the tabloids, front and back pages, we weren't the subject of national phone in debate, and Gus' every move wasn't second guessed.
That will all change now.
The 'issues' that were dealt with in house here, would be impossible to keep a lid on, in 'the greatest league on the world'.
Rightly or wrongly (wrongly in this case) it would come back to Gus, the moment his team loses a game.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Really? Yeah he looks a little like he's enjoyed a rough night every time I see him play. But, where would you be without him? I assumed he was a fans favourite is this not the case?

Can't see Gus wanting to risk getting rid as long as he is doing the business on the pitch.

Yes, he is a fans favourite and you're absolutely right, where would we be without him? He's prone to injury which won't be helped by an inappropriate diet, but he is one player we can't afford to lose. Take his goals out of the side and there's no if about relegation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been trying to think of the manager that was run out of his job for off field problems.

My point is we were never splashed all over the tabloids, front and back pages, we weren't the subject of national phone in debate, and Gus' every move wasn't second guessed.
That will all change now.
The 'issues' that were dealt with in house here, would be impossible to keep a lid on, in 'the greatest league on the world'.
Rightly or wrongly (wrongly in this case) it would come back to Gus, the moment his team loses a game.

Wayne Bridge was in the tabloids with a cigarette in his hand.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I understand you are being literal but so what, his performances for us were exceptional last season. He's hardly been pulling up trees at Reading by all accounts. Coincidence?

And that's without mentioning that without Poyet's star factor, I doubt Bridge would have been here in the first place.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

Ultimately, it's down to results. If Sunderland are winning, the focus of the press coverage up there will be on that. It's only when Sunderland lose and players continue to let themselves down off the field that the press will then emphasise this. Clearly Sunderland have a historical problem with some of their players who appear to enjoy 'refuelling' regardless of results.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I understand you are being literal but so what, his performances for us were exceptional last season. He's hardly been pulling up trees at Reading by all accounts. Coincidence?

And that's without mentioning that without Poyet's star factor, I doubt Bridge would have been here in the first place.

Coincidence that Gus Poyets agent, is also Wayne Bridges ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In our first Championship season we got loads of reds and yellows - a lot of players with a lot to prove at that level. Last season things were much, much better with our discipline.

For Gus, he's never managed such highly-paid players before. He's got his work cut out to stay up; if he survives then probably three of Pulis, Bruce, Mackay, Hughton or Hughes will go down, so some good managers in that bunch.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought that, but someone corrected me.

Correct actually it appears.

Poyet agent is Athole Still (who only has Sven Goren Eriksson on their sport books) , Wayne Bridge looked after Stellar Football (probably the biggest agency in the world)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Get used to Gus talking about HIS career. He may end up as your saviour but he will mention his desire to manage at a higher level more than he will his desire to serve your club! Still he is ambitious! Big job (excuse the pun) Big club Sunderland.....he should ply his trade there for a long time but it will not stop him wishing for his beloved Chelsea!

I'm ambitious about Brighton, and have desire to play at a higher level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and I believe he has got a lady not related to him by marriage in the family way (if you know what I mean).

The club did well keeping a lid on that story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here