Dieppe border patrol

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I'm confused why this thread is entitled "Dieppe Border Patrol". Are the French supposed to stop people trying to get to England?

Jan 30, 2008
Ha. Brilliant. Sitting in your car getting on to the ferry, sounds like quite a nice thing to do but you decide to spend the time working yourself up about immigration. Is there a moment of the day you give it a rest?
what a pathetic answer, maybe because immigration doesn't affect you doesn't mean others aren't affected ,ever thought about that one :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
WE DON'T HAVE TO ACCEPT ANYTHING LIKE THAT AT ALL, what a thing to say :facepalm:
regards
DR

There's no point in getting all uptight about it either. It won't change anything. Learn to live with people and you'll be surprised how well you get along.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know that the Turks tend to favour Germany, although I am not entirely sure why, historically.

There was a labour shortage in the early 60s due to the economic boom and the wall going up. The country dealt with this by inviting guest workers to Germany and a large number of Turks responded.

Jan 30, 2008
There's no point in getting all uptight about it either. It won't change anything. Learn to live with people and you'll be surprised how well you get along.
sounds good on paper and i'm not getting uptight but in reality i don't think that sort of thing's happening in certain parts of the country is it???
regards
DR

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The problem with these people it is that they are trying to get to the UK in order to claim political asylum. This is illegal as because to make a legitimate claim, it should be made in the first "safe" country they arrive in.

By choosing to claim in the UK they must have travelled through at least one other safe country prior to arriving in France.

Urban myth.

There is nothing under International Law that requires asylum seekers to seek refuge in the first safe country they arrive in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
sounds good on paper and i'm not getting uptight but in reality i don't think that sort of thing's happening in certain parts of the country is it???
regards
DR

We can't change other people but we can change ourselves. I've lived in a predominantly Asian area in the north for a while, and got on well with my neighbours.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Urban myth.

There is nothing under International Law that requires asylum seekers to seek refuge in the first safe country they arrive in.

Paragraph 7.11 onwards of this report suggests that there is - http://icinspector.independent.gov....n-Inspection-of-Juxtaposed-Controls-Final.pdf - or at least, suggests that asylum claimants in the UK who were previously in France can be returned to France under the terms of the Dublin Regulation... whatever that is.

Edit - nice and informative Guardian article - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/sep/21/claim-asylum-uk-legal-position

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Paragraph 7.11 onwards of this report suggests that there is - http://icinspector.independent.gov....n-Inspection-of-Juxtaposed-Controls-Final.pdf - or at least, suggests that asylum claimants in the UK who were previously in France can be returned to France under the terms of the Dublin Regulation... whatever that is.

Edit - nice and informative Guardian article - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/sep/21/claim-asylum-uk-legal-position

From the Guardian article -

There is no obligation under the refugee convention or any other instrument of international law that requires refugees to seek asylum in any particular country.

The article goes on to say -

There has, however, been a longstanding "first country of asylum" principle in international law by which countries are expected to take refugees fleeing from persecution in a neighbouring state. This principle has developed so that, in practice, an asylum seeker who had the opportunity to claim asylum in another country is liable to be returned there in order for his or her claim to be determined.

. . . .

The immigration rules state, however, that the secretary of state will only remove an asylum seeker to a safe third country if there is clear evidence that the country concerned will admit the person. This will be so if the person has arrived in the UK via another safe country and had an opportunity at the border of or within that country to claim asylum. The mere fact that the person has passed through another country does not necessarily mean there was an opportunity to claim asylum; if an agent planned the journey and the person was hidden in a vehicle for the duration of it, for example, there is unlikely to have been any realistic opportunity for the person to approach the authorities

As I posted there is no legal requirement under International Law for refugees to claim asylum in the first safe country they pass through

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
From the Guardian article -

The article goes on to say -

As I posted there is no legal requirement under International Law for refugees to claim asylum in the first safe country they pass through

The report from the Chief Inspector is suggesting that if it could have been proved that an asylum seeker had been encountered in France on a previous attempt to enter the UK illegally, then they could be returned to France under the Dublin Regulation, i.e. they would have had an opportunity to claim asylum in France and therefore should be returned to France for the French to deal with.

No law that states this, as you rightly say, but a regulation that allows countries to return asylum seekers to another EU country if it is appropriate... all rendered rather pointless by UKBA not taking fingerprints when they first turf them out of lorries in Calais.

Jan 30, 2008
We can't change other people but we can change ourselves. I've lived in a predominantly Asian area in the north for a while, and got on well with my neighbours.
i'm sure you did but if find the we can change ourselves really concerning how much have we already conceded in this country
regards
DR

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The report from the Chief Inspector is suggesting that if it could have been proved that an asylum seeker had been encountered in France on a previous attempt to enter the UK illegally, then they could be returned to France under the Dublin Regulation, i.e. they would have had an opportunity to claim asylum in France and therefore should be returned to France for the French to deal with.

No law that states this, as you rightly say, but a regulation that allows countries to return asylum seekers to another EU country if it is appropriate... all rendered rather pointless by UKBA not taking fingerprints when they first turf them out of lorries in Calais.

From that report -

The Dublin Regulation EC No. 343/2003 was implemented on 1 September 2003 to determine which State should be responsible for examining an application for asylum made within EU territory. If an asylum applicant had previously been fingerprinted in another member
state, in relation to an asylum claim or illegal entry, the original state may be required to take responsibility for considering their asylum

claim.

If I'm reading that correctly then if an individual has already been involved in an asylum claim in another country or investigated as an illegal immigrant then they may be returned to that country - seems reasonable and is not the same as saying that an individual must claim asylum in the first safe country they enter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here