Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you think we were going to throw that lead away?

Did you think we were going to throw away the lead?

• Yes, I was sure we'd stuff it up again.

Votes: 92 80.0%
  • No, I was confident we'd hold out.

Votes: 23 20.0%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes I and all around thought it was going to happen but we held out for 3 lovely points. Did the ref think Fergie was the derby manager? Thought he was never going to blow the whistle.

The way Clough spent so much shouting at the 4th official i thought it was Fergie.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was nervous for a spell, but i didn't think we were going to "throw it all away". They had virtually no shots, and without Hughes didn't quite know what to do with themselves. We played well without being outstanding, but i didn't have awful thoughts of our players or consider them repetitive failures like that, no. We relaxed and so did i in general.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Closing out games is clearly one of our weak points that needs working on. Is it fitness, or is it just too hard for our present bunch of players to maintain the tempo and concentration to play the Gus way for the full 90 minutes?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that we would concede a 2nd goal as although I am 100% pro Gus I am not convinced by his substitutions and feel that he puts a lot of pressure on the defence with these.

Yesterday was an example of how we gave away the midfield and allowed Derby to come at us. Also thought the blanket offside at the end looked good but was a dangerous tactic at that time of the game especially with those officials.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I thought we were in danger of doing a "Bolton/Leeds" ... we were pretty much second best after the hour mark, and once theyd scored, we seemed to freeze.
How good was that "Offside trap" move for the freekick though!?! I dont think Ive ever seen 10 players offside at once before !

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,especially as we could have scored two or three in the second half.We then sat too deep,allowed their team to run around unchallenged,and seemed to be with the ref in favouring a score draw.What was he doing,btw ? A shambolic reffing performance from start to eventual finish.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We lost all shape and direction towards the end. It was desperate stuff really and we were lucky to get away with it. But we did. Onwards and upwards, take the three points and let us never speak of it again.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
It wasn't so much about us "stuffing it up" as the wanky linesman on the East side and the referee helping to do it for us !
Pair of tossers !!
Yes we let ourselves down in the 2nd half but you have to have belief don't you and keep on singing and shouting
or the team can catch on to the air of negativity !!

Well done lads !!! 3pts and Palarse lost great day !!!!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
In the first half Barnes did well in the striker role. Held the ball up well, got to the high balls, good distribution, well-taken goal. And we played well as a team.

In the second half Buckley seemed to be playing that role for long periods and did so very poorly. That coincided with the period when Derby came back into the game.

Why the switch?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In the first half Barnes did well in the striker role. Held the ball up well, got to the high balls, good distribution, well-taken goal. And we played well as a team.

In the second half Buckley seemed to be playing that role for long periods and did so very poorly. That coincided with the period when Derby came back into the game.

Why the switch?

Barnes was shattered and Buckley has better pace.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Wouldn't it be better if the fourth official didn't hold up a board stating the additional minutes to play but instead just held one up saying "until the opposition score" then we could all relax..

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Why the switch?

I would hazard a guess it was related to the (early) introduction of Jamie Ward. It was as soon as this sub was made that I noticed Barnes shifting to the wing- I assume to give better defensive cover than Buckers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the ref must have had a half time bet on 2-2. He seemed determined to make sure they scored a 2nd, luckily without success.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There seemed to be a degree of inevitability about the last 10 or 15 minutes.
Only because the ref was useless, it wasn't of our own doing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The 2 Johnnys doing the radio commentary certainly made it hear like it would go tits up at the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here