Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you get a Cup Final ticket in 1983?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I got 6 tickets. I was a STH but unsure how I got so many. Got another 6 for the replay but only used 5.
Incidentally, for those not that old, the replay was on the following Thursday. That was 5 days to organise and sell the tickets.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Got about six tickets as we had vouchers from the Stoke game. A mate managed to get a couple of tickets from the Shropshire FA unfortunately in the Man U end.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
F@ck knows how I Got a ticket but I was there with my dad right above the players tunnel with my Union Jack "seagulls" flag , check it out if you don't believe me!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No - I had better things to do that day.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My Dad had a Stoke City voucher. Usually we went to games together but I had to work and missed the Stoke match but he let me have the Cup Final ticket as he had been to many finals in the 50s and thought I should experience one. I think it was used for the semi final as well.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I got a ticket for the first match, I dont remember how, but I guiess I went to the stoke match, I went to almost every home game that season. Straight after the final I literally had to get a night coach to Glasgow so I could be at my grandmothers stone setting on the sunday, It stopped me getting a ticket for the replay.

SE23GULL

Jun 24, 2013
Forest Hill
I was one of the 1982 Christmas Voucher holders. Was handed one at the turnstile, I think at the New Year Watford match. Remember ironically commenting to my mates, that we're certainly going to need that - this was the week before the Newcastle 3rd round match. Ended up with two for the replay because we queued at Wembley and at the Goldstone. Such arrangements would never happen now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes I did...and someone said I also was at a replay, but I have expunged that from my memory so I a m not sure it actually happened.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Believe it or not, I got mine from the RN. FA who were allocated a certain amount of tickets for every final. They were then dished out to various ships, and my ship was one of the lucky ones, all the crew were entered in a lottery for them, and although I didn't win, , I bought the ticket from the bloke who did. It cost me a crate of McEwans Bitter.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Got a ticket for for both games but my brother who was a lottery agent at the time didn't get a ticket for the replay.
The lottery agent turned up at his workplace on the morning of the replay with his lottery tickets and he told him where to go, a quick phone call to the club and his replay ticket was sorted.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Another voucher holder here.

A QPR fan at work also went to that game with his mates. He sold me his vouchers so my mates who hadn't attended the game could go.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not sure how I qualified but saw every game, home & away including ALL the FA Cup games. Remember queuing for hours (must have been for replay) as tickets were sold from just a couple of windows.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Stoke voucher, so yes. Managed to get a criminal record on the day they were distributing tickets though! Came down from London and there was a massive queue at Highbury and Islington station. Worrying I would miss the train to Brighton and blow my chances of getting me ticket I tried to get down onto the platform without paying....and was promptly pinched. Fair cop though guv!

Funnily enough a few weeks beforehand me and a mate arranged a Spanish holiday and I insisted we went the week after the final 'just in case'. Flew out day before replay and stuck in the wilds beyond Zaragoza, didn't find out the replay result for days. Not sure what was worst, not knowing or eventually finding out!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was living in Canada at the time, utterly skint (student). The game was shown on one of the rubbish channels there, but wasn't broadcast live. A 'mate' who isn't really interested in football, with whom I watched the game, let it be known it was pre recorded (I didn't realise - time zones always baffled me back then). Foolishly I asked 'am I going to enjoy it?' and he did a noncommital shrug, so I realized Smith would not score as soon as the ball left his foot :facepalm:. I'm still in touch with my 'mate', who lives in Australia now. Saw him the other week. I still haven't got my revenge yet. He's a 60 year old geordie, university prof, and MBA. Revenge is a dish best served very very cold. Any suggestions? :angry:

I had been living up here nearly five years but secured a ticket with a pleading letter, enclosing all my Seagulls' Special charter train tickets which I had thoughtfully kept. :)
My brother, who was living in Watford, went down to Wembley and got us replay tickets.
Got one for the replay as well, although it cost me my job. But I was going to resign anyway.
Very similar to me. I managed to wangle that Thursday off from a very strict office at Mansfield Hosiery Mills who only allotted annual leave when the factories were closed (you could only usually have time off for a funeral or if you had a driving test). I think they let me have it because I said I would resign if declined but again, I disliked it there and left a couple of years later on my own accord.

Last edited:

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
1d839588b7e4ebf27c793661279b4f7e.jpg

I went to both games and have these as a momento [emoji2]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here