Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did Tony Bloom make a mistake ...

gumbo43

gumbo
Jun 9, 2011
hove
nope, right contract at the time - but like all things GP and BHA has clearly run its course and TB, after what he has done for the club and city, in my opinion is entirely free and beyond criticism to make any decision he wants, especially as so far every one has been in my opinion for the sole benefit of the club. If for whatever reason he wants Poyet out, and it could just be him having got fed up of the frequent sniping which whilst not stated to be aimed at him ultimately was as the owner, so be it. If it costs the club compensation I am sure they will pay it but I rather expect the club would prefer to use that money on either the squad or keeping job losses to a minimum. I've not a single doubt that whoever TB brings in will get 100% support and it will only be a matter of weeks, not months, before the vast majority consider GP an irrelevance to the here and now and just another small (but in him time successful) cog in the long history of the club.

Great shout, agree with every word..are you tb in disguise..

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
No. Imagine the furore if he'd been poached by Reading and we didn't have some protection? Just because it's all gone wrong since doesn't mean we weren't right to protect our interests.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Originally Posted by Poyetry In Motion View Post
Poyet not a mistake. Have to say I think the appointment of Barber might be. Very little has gone right since he's been on the scene, but then I'm guesing as I don't know all the facts

It wasn't Barber who told the media he had hit the ceiling with us.

Agree, nor did he send an angry email that leaked to the press, or say he may not be here next season, or say that contracts don't mean a thing, or say I've got to think about myself, or not dealing with the retained list etc etc

We had a good squad with good sensible signings last season , Kuszczak, Bridge, Upso, Bruno, Lopez, Orlandi, Crofts, Hammond, and not forgetting how hard the club worked to get Ulloa.

How much money was Gus short on promotion last season £1m, £3m, £5m? bearing in mind if we beat Hull away we would have got autos.

If he was after an open cheque book he could have left financial devastation behind him and still left for another job if one came up. Let’s face it, the more money you have to spend on players, the less coaching you have to do, so maybe Gus was lazy and working with a budget meant he had to work harder.

He was the right appointment at the time and he did a great job, but it’s time to move on with a fresh new manager with a wider draw of players.

If Gus had any sense he should have resigned when first suspended and applied for the Prem jobs that were available. Any potential future employers will look at the way he acted after Palace and the longer he draws this out the less he will appeal to other clubs.

Resign now Gus with some dignity, don't let us fire you!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Poyet not a mistake. Have to say I think the appointment of Barber might be. Very little has gone right since he's been on the scene, but then I'm guesing as I don't know all the facts

Really?????

Astounding viewpoint.

Since Paul Barber joined we have reduced a deficit that was running away ( very easy for the Barber haters to spend Tony's money ), signed the AMEX sponsorship, booted out AZURE who were grabbing far too much of the match spend, and reduced the club deficit on the transport costs.

Unbelievable ingratitude towards Tony and expectation that he funds it all.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I bet Bloom regrets the day he ever gave him the job in the first place now. Many could have done what Poyet has done, with far less to work with. Taylor, McGhee and Coppell spring to mind. Two of them very average managers, who still got us to the championship, on shirt buttons.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
You use the finance stick to beat Gus with yet how many fans were demanding we sign players in January, and then again demanding a loan signing before march and then turn round and say he spent too much money. You can't have it both ways

While this is true, there is a massive difference between fans doing this and managers doing this. How many fans can look at the situation and say we need to keep our finances in check? Gus says we need to spend more.

As a fan and taking into account what Barber says, I expect us to have a budget that matches last season. To me that means we have just over £2 million to spend on transfers and about £30,000 a week in wages to fill (with Wayne Bridge, Vicente, and Stephen Dobbie all gone) more if we don't re-sign Upson and El-Abd and Lopez. That to me means with the right man in charge we can have a very decent season. We are not poor, just need to control our money.

Gus once said that he wanted to manage the big name. We let him manage the big names and with it has come big wages, as I said we have a decent budget, We get the right manager then he is worth another few places, like Gus was, then we have a very good chance of making the play-offs again.

Aug 23, 2011
While this is true, there is a massive difference between fans doing this and managers doing this. How many fans can look at the situation and say we need to keep our finances in check? Gus says we need to spend more.

As a fan and taking into account what Barber says, I expect us to have a budget that matches last season. To me that means we have just over £2 million to spend on transfers and about £30,000 a week in wages to fill (with Wayne Bridge, Vicente, and Stephen Dobbie all gone) more if we don't re-sign Upson and El-Abd and Lopez. That to me means with the right man in charge we can have a very decent season. We are not poor, just need to control our money.

Gus once said that he wanted to manage the big name. We let him manage the big names and with it has come big wages, as I said we have a decent budget, We get the right manager then he is worth another few places, like Gus was, then we have a very good chance of making the play-offs again.

yes i agree. I still think some of the comments he made were him trying to use mind games a la Wenger, Mourinho etc and that he didn't necessarily mean what he said but hey its fairly irrelevant now.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
yes i agree. I still think some of the comments he made were him trying to use mind games a la Wenger, Mourinho etc and that he didn't necessarily mean what he said but hey its fairly irrelevant now.

I think you may have hit on Gus's problem JCL, he thinks he is another Mourinho or Wenger when clearly he is not, he only has an English Division 1 title on his CV.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I bet Bloom regrets the day he ever gave him the job in the first place now. Many could have done what Poyet has done, with far less to work with. Taylor, McGhee and Coppell spring to mind. Two of them very average managers, who still got us to the championship, on shirt buttons.

Amazing examples. Two of them got us relegated, one walked out immediately because the budget wasn't good enough. The highest position we got in the Championship with all of them was 15th.
Gus still stands as having achieved the highest number of points in a season, with the highest number of weeks at number 1 in the division. That's in the history books and your racist viewpoint will do nothing to take that away. How are you going to cope when Tony Bloom brings another foreigner in to manage us?
Many could have done that, my eye!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think tb is beyond criticism of this. His appt of poyet was a master stroke. The right man at the right time. He gave us a footballing identity, it was great to watch and if we are honest, possibly the best style we will ever see from our team. What the club has achieved ( promotion, cup ties, seat sales etc ) is in no small part down to that decision. We have benefited from his salarynmanyntimes over. Could someone cheaper have done better? We might never know ( or we may be about to find out ).

I am so proud that my son has grown up watching us play the way we have and has been grounded in the art of passing football.

That post does not fid the agenda of the Majority of posters on here.....for shame on you for being so sensible.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There's no guarantee of winning the playoffs. If we had won, the prize would have been worth it, which is why teams like Leicester, Cardiff, Forest, etc spend so much. It isn't right, but Sky & the Premiership/League have ruined football as it is now.

Aug 23, 2011
Amazing examples. Two of them got us relegated, one walked out immediately because the budget wasn't good enough. The highest position we got in the Championship with all of them was 15th.
Gus still stands as having achieved the highest number of points in a season, with the highest number of weeks at number 1 in the division. That's in the history books and your racist viewpoint will do nothing to take that away. How are you going to cope when Tony Bloom brings another foreigner in to manage us?
Many could have done that, my eye!

to be fair to Coppell he was in a pretty dire position when he took over and very nearly saved us but i understand what you're trying to say

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
No, I think that Gus has made the mistake, Tony put his faith and that of the club in Gus, which was a hell of a decision to make as he was relatively inexperienced.
Tony was probably convinced by the latter that he would do his best to improve and get results for the team.
Gus was growing with the club and all was green in the garden, but then Gus started to believe the hype and rhetoric, which could prove fatal to his employability and detrimental to the club.
Gus's reputation I think is now permanently tarnished and who would want take a risk with him now, whilst the club's is still intact.
The club will move on and survive, whether Gus does or not is another matter.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I don't think Bloom's done much wrong, with any appointment.

Poyet was perfect for us at the time and for some years, and the extended contract was just a reflection of that.

Barber was brought in to do a job, and has done some aspects of it remarkably well. Don't forget there was very swift and decisive action with Azure, and the additional income from sponsorship can only help the club. I don't have a problem with Barber like some seem to.

However, since he came in, the relationship between club and manager has completely broken down; I'm not blaming Barber (like most I just don't know), but it has happened on his watch, and within a relatively short space of time. I'm sure Bloom wouldn't want it to happen again, so I suspect he'll keep a keen eye on how Barber gets on with the new manager.

Aug 23, 2011
No, I think that Gus has made the mistake, Tony put his faith and that of the club in Gus, which was a hell of a decision to make as he was relatively inexperienced.
Tony was probably convinced by the latter that he would do his best to improve and get results for the team.
Gus was growing with the club and all was green in the garden, but then Gus started to believe the hype and rhetoric, which could prove fatal to his employability and detrimental to the club.
Gus's reputation I think is now permanently tarnished and who would want take a risk with him now, whilst the club's is still intact.
The club will move on and survive, whether Gus does or not is another matter.

but you don't know what Gus has allegedly done.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Fantastic decision to appoint Poyet. Shame people are now questioning his judgement by wanting Poyet out.

No.....people want him out because he has turned into a selfish prick, without a thought now for the future of the club, the players and more importantly the fans.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It's worth watching THAT interview again, I just did and he really didn't say a lot wrong - people seem to have been rewriting history in their heads - the implication was that he felt he had to sit down with the board and push them for a little bit more next season.
If you just watched it again, please do us all a favour and actually quote what he said, not what the implication was,...... it would help these flaming debates that's for sure.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Q: "It's been a long season Gus, what do you do now - Sit on a beach somewhere, relaxing?"

Gus: "Well I'll analyse everything, I'm going to analyse where we can go and analyse myself as well and see where I am at the club and the contract. Of course there are plenty of things I need to analyse about where we can go. I got to think about myself as well sometimes, it's not only about one side. Like I said, there are teams that have been in this situation that didn't make it - and they keep trying and they don't make it or they do things differently and sometimes it gets better or worse. I need to know that for sure, and clear, before I start planning next season"

Q: "Is that about sitting down with the chairman and deciding the way forward?"

Gus: "I think that is the key, you know. Every summer you sit down and you analyse where you can go, what you can get, or not - and depending on that you got a project or a way of keeping getting better. I say all the time I will be here until the time we stop getting better. The day we hit the roof I will need to think about myself as well."

That's a bit selective. You missed out the bit where he said he wanted to manage a bigger club, that we all smelled of wee and were gayers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here