Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did Tony Bloom make a mistake ...

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Fantastic decision to appoint Poyet. Shame people are now questioning his judgement by wanting Poyet out.

I don't think this is true. Poyet was most definatly the right person at that time, but he isn't now. In the three full seasons he has managed us, we have made an operating loss of £7 million, £8 million, and what is expected to be £8 million again. Thats a staggering £23 million in 3 seasons.

Yet every season Gus ignors this and moans about our budget and acts as if he has a god given right to demand what he wants.

On MOTD on sunday he was asked would you do anything different if you could. His reply was no, this is me, this is the way I am. Anybody that wants Gus to stay after that is asking for trouble, in financial terms.

Bloom seems to want Poyet out (most probably because of this, as it can't be because what Poyet achieved on the pitch as that isn't in dispute), Barber is the new Poyet (at least until we have our operating loss sorted), so maybe it is you questioning Blooms judgement.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
How fickle are we?

When Gus was offered the new contract I don't recall anyone warning us it will go wrong. Everyone was very positive as we had this fantastic manager who had got the team playing great football and we had managed to persuade him to commit to a long term contract.

What has happened recently is very sad but I would rather have had the last 3.5 years with Gus than have lost him after 2. The team is still there (Mostly) and the infrastructure is still there.Nobody is bigger than the club.

(Except maybe TB:))

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think a few suspected it would all end in tears, at the end.

Perhaps not in this way, or as badly as this though.

It has worked out well, it's just soured in the endgame.

Last edited:

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
nope, right contract at the time - but like all things GP and BHA has clearly run its course and TB, after what he has done for the club and city, in my opinion is entirely free and beyond criticism to make any decision he wants, especially as so far every one has been in my opinion for the sole benefit of the club. If for whatever reason he wants Poyet out, and it could just be him having got fed up of the frequent sniping which whilst not stated to be aimed at him ultimately was as the owner, so be it. If it costs the club compensation I am sure they will pay it but I rather expect the club would prefer to use that money on either the squad or keeping job losses to a minimum. I've not a single doubt that whoever TB brings in will get 100% support and it will only be a matter of weeks, not months, before the vast majority consider GP an irrelevance to the here and now and just another small (but in him time successful) cog in the long history of the club.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
How fickle are we?

When Gus was offered the new contract I don't recall anyone warning us it will go wrong. Everyone was very positive as we had this fantastic manager who had got the team playing great football and we had managed to persuade him to commit to a long term contract.

What has happened recently is very sad but I would rather have had the last 3.5 years with Gus than have lost him after 2. The team is still there (Mostly) and the infrastructure is still there.Nobody is bigger than the club.

(Except maybe TB:))

Its not a question of being fickle.
All fans enjoy and want success and give the manager a much easier time when things are going well. It doesn't stop you being analytical and objective, even in the good times. There are fans I know, who go to most games and have been calling Gus's tactics into question for two years. Too rigid, too cautious, no plan B, reactive, doesn't think outside the box etc are all comments that I have been hearing regularly for some time now.
No one is above criticism. I

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Perhaps giving Gus a chance was a mistake.
His ego has been bigger than his achievements, he wasn't successful at Spurs behind Ramos, and he has constantly dangled his services before other clubs.
With a newly resurgent club blessed with a spanking stadium and 20,000+ fans, he could count his blessings and cement a reputation together with 'his' BHA.

But......

I can't remember any manager precocious enough to talk of going home after one shortfall, or never shouldering blame when he lost.
Holloway made GP look tactically naieve in the playoff.

Last edited:

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Gus asked for a longer contract so that he could plan long-term, to which Tony agreed.

The basis of this was that if we wanted to get rid of Gus, we would have to pay the balance of his five year contract.

Similarly, Gus agreed that if he wanted out that he would have to pay up the balance of his contract as well. It would seem that Gus no longer wants to stick to this.

As far as I know there is no separate £2.5M "transfer fee".

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All fans enjoy and want success and give the manager a much easier time when things are going well. It doesn't stop you being analytical and objective, even in the good times. There are fans I know, who go to most games and have been calling Gus's tactics into question for two years. Too rigid, too cautious, no plan B, reactive, doesn't think outside the box etc are all comments that I have been hearing regularly for some time now.
No one is above criticism. I have heard Man Utd fans ripping into Fergie. Gus is like any other manager...you weigh up the good v the not so good.
Those of us that are happy he is going acknowledge the good job he has done and thank him for it. Personally, I don't think he can take us out of this division because of his limitations. That doesn't make him a bad manager, just not quite up to the mark. We all saw the difference between him and Holloway, when push came to shove. The sauve, charismatic and relaxed Poyet v the archetypal street fighter, prepared to gamble and put everything on the line. Whipping up his players and driving them on and on until they were fit to drop. Squeezing every last ounce of effort, which ultimately, made the difference. One man wanting it more than the other.
Its all about the heat of the battle and being able to change plans midstream. Anticipating what your opponent is going to do and fighting fire with fire. Sometimes football calls for ' seat of the pants ' management as opposed to long term strategy, carried out to the letter, game after game. The most successful managers balance out their strategy.
Gus is good. His reputation and charisma charms most players and fans. I just think he is lacking that little bit of spark and imagination and bravery to take us to the next level.
Fickle I am not...I just want the best we can get for our club.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
:shrug: If only TB had had the foresight to ask the people on NSC what he should include in the contract and negotiations to secure the services of probably the best Manager this Club has ever had, instead of simply relying on his own experience and that of his board. :facepalm:

:wozza:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
No one is above criticism. I have heard Man Utd fans ripping into Fergie. Gus is like any other manager...you weigh up the good v the not so good.
Those of us that are happy he is going acknowledge the good job he has done and thank him for it. Personally, I don't think he can take us out of this division because of his limitations. That doesn't make him a bad manager, just not quite up to the mark. We all saw the difference between him and Holloway, when push came to shove. The sauve, charismatic and relaxed Poyet v the archetypal street fighter, prepared to gamble and put everything on the line. Whipping up his players and driving them on and on until they were fit to drop. Squeezing every last ounce of effort, which ultimately, made the difference. One man wanting it more than the other.
Its all about the heat of the battle and being able to change plans midstream. Anticipating what your opponent is going to do and fighting fire with fire. Sometimes football calls for ' seat of the pants ' management as opposed to long term strategy, carried out to the letter, game after game. The most successful managers balance out their strategy.
Gus is good. His reputation and charisma charms most players and fans. I just think he is lacking that little bit of spark and imagination and bravery to take us to the next level.
Fickle I am not...I just want the best we can get for our club.

Well written, but there are those who have selective memories, Gus walking away during our home defeat to Burnley in the previous season, Gus saying he is getting bored with managing a team that can't score goals ( playing his stratgey), Gus telling the world he wants to manage Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds etc and his comments made after the defeat to Palace (any sports phsycholgist will tell you that you should not analyse a bad performance immediately after a bad result). Is this all lost in translation? If it is then how is he communicating with the players, if not then he understands exactly what he is saying. Gus will blame others for bad results and apparently the reason he was out thought by Ian Holloway was becasue he didn't have enough money to spend.
Gus was good for us and we were good for him, something not widely recognised, but he is wanting to move too quickly, unfortunately had Hammond put the great chance at Selhurst Park away and Barnes scored at home with his first touch we may well not have been having these traumas, but these are the finite margins in the game. Thank you Gus for all you have done for the club, but you have alienated those who keep you where you are, I wish you the best for the future and hope that you learn to think before you speak and act.

Aug 23, 2011
I don't think this is true. Poyet was most definatly the right person at that time, but he isn't now. In the three full seasons he has managed us, we have made an operating loss of £7 million, £8 million, and what is expected to be £8 million again. Thats a staggering £23 million in 3 seasons.

Yet every season Gus ignors this and moans about our budget and acts as if he has a god given right to demand what he wants.

You use the finance stick to beat Gus with yet how many fans were demanding we sign players in January, and then again demanding a loan signing before march and then turn round and say he spent too much money. You can't have it both ways

Aug 23, 2011
Well written, but there are those who have selective memories, Gus walking away during our home defeat to Burnley in the previous season, Gus saying he is getting bored with managing a team that can't score goals ( playing his stratgey), Gus telling the world he wants to manage Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds etc QUOTE]

I still reckon the Leeds comments were made to undermine the opposition and make them complacent just days before we played them but each to their own

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think we need to be fair to TB and GP here. IF, and it's a chuffin' big if now, we'd made a better stab at the play-offs and narrowly missed out in the final and someone came in a nabbed GP on the cheap we'd all be saying why didn't TB have him secured. Now we are trying to bin him equally he's criticised for having to possibly pay him off due to his contract. They have to work both ways that's the point of them

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Probably the right move given circumstances and goals at the time ???

I was going to say this - at the time Poyet was saying that he needed to plan for the future, including ensuring all the youth teams learn to play the same passing style as the first team. During his first contract, which was fairly short, Gus openly said that there was no incentive for him to look beyond the senior squad.

A long contract did seem a sensible move at the time.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well written, but there are those who have selective memories, Gus walking away during our home defeat to Burnley in the previous season, Gus saying he is getting bored with managing a team that can't score goals ( playing his stratgey), Gus telling the world he wants to manage Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds etc and his comments made after the defeat to Palace (any sports phsycholgist will tell you that you should not analyse a bad performance immediately after a bad result). Is this all lost in translation? If it is then how is he communicating with the players, if not then he understands exactly what he is saying. Gus will blame others for bad results and apparently the reason he was out thought by Ian Holloway was becasue he didn't have enough money to spend.
Gus was good for us and we were good for him, something not widely recognised, but he is wanting to move too quickly, unfortunately had Hammond put the great chance at Selhurst Park away and Barnes scored at home with his first touch we may well not have been having these traumas, but these are the finite margins in the game. Thank you Gus for all you have done for the club, but you have alienated those who keep you where you are, I wish you the best for the future and hope that you learn to think before you speak and act.

Agree that he seems to be a man in a hurry. Impatient, emotional and super-confident. Clearly rates his own ability very highly and sees no faults in himself. Think his over-sized ego will be his downfall. Not convinced that he thinks deeply enough about the game because he thinks he knows it all already.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Poyet not a mistake. Have to say I think the appointment of Barber might be. Very little has gone right since he's been on the scene, but then I'm guesing as I don't know all the facts

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Could someone cheaper have done better? We might never know ( or we may be about to find out )
Hard to say. It's not like there's anyone like Nigel Adkins or Paul Lambert to compare him with, with regards to how best to use the advantage of 'massive crowds' and a favourable transfer budget upon exiting League 1. How did those guys do?

By the way, may I say what an honour, privilege, and pleasure it is to be back.

Hard to say. It's not like there's anyone like Nigel Adkins or Paul Lambert to compare him with, with regards to how best to use the advantage of 'massive crowds' and a favourable transfer budget upon exiting League 1. How did those guys do?

By the way, may I say what an honour, privilege, and pleasure it is to be back.

Did not realise that you had been away.

Who are you anyway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here