Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone prefer it when we were in League 2?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Loved the withdean.

Parking a Cpl of mins from the ground
The closeness to the game on the running track
The rocket man who stopped once the rocket hit me (was either when we beat Watford 4-1 or Wolves 4-1) one may have been 4-0
The pitch invasions
Was real fans who went then

Im not a brighton fan but I loved the day.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
No

I may often think of the Goldstone, Priestfield, Withdean and some quaint away days, but its the AMEX all the way now. Good football, great atmosphere, decent facilities and a club on the up.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When the Albion were in the lower leagues, there were times when, quite frankly, games were boring. Week after week, we'd fetch up at Withdean and watch a wholly predictable easy victory. Nothing to worry about, except getting wet. Dull, dull, dull.

Adams out!

More commonly known as 'the Celtic FC experience'. Have you seen how many empty seats they have per match these days? When it's a toss up between staying at home in the warm with a deep fried Mars Bar and a bottle of Irn Bru, or going and watching your team turn over St Johnstone for the fourth time that season.....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I miss those days only because back then people didn't get unrealistic expectations, which the club are destined to fail to achieve. I don't miss the quality of the football or the stadiums though (Withdean and Gillingham).

I do miss the Goldstone though. :tantrum:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I don't miss Withdean at all, in fact towards the end I did stop going. I do miss The Sportsman before the game though, I did like it in there, I got to know the bar staff pretty well.

The Goldstone however is a completely different matter, I pretty much miss everything about that place.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Not so much League 2, far too close to the Conference, a forever haunting thought, but League 1 was good.

Away days were so much friendlier too.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
I do miss Withdean, but I wouldn't change things.
All I ever wanted was a nice ground like everyone else.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The only thing I'd say is you get more respect when you are supporting a club in league 2. But I could never get anyone to go unless they were die hard Albion. Watched Oxford recently in League 2, a reminder I certainly don't miss it one bit

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I do miss aspects of Withdean- The Sportsman in particular and the group of people we sat with. More than anything though I miss where we were in the ground which was just behind the dug outs. It was a perfect position for seeing what was going on, shouting at the opposing team and moaning at the fourth official. Cant do that now- WSU. Those League 1 and 2 matches were more aggressive too and many more red cards and punch ups from what I recall so enjoyable in that respect.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I agree, I remember watching opposing players warm up looking around at the place thinking what the hell is this!

I don't miss it though..

According to Adam Virgo the other night, opposition teams hated it because usually Cullip/Carpenter/Oatway had scared the c**p out of them before they got on the pitch!
Nice to have all the flair players now, but we really could do with a couple of enforcers to put the wind up opponent, we are a bit soft now!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Loved the walk to good old withers:blush:

Funnily enough that's all I miss about Withdean. Walking up the hill past the flats and under the railway bridge was somehow exciting. It all went downhill from there.

The uni car park walk is largely unremarkable, however, it's amazing after all we've been through, to walk over the bridge and see the Amex lit by the sun and with thousands of fans on their way into the stadium.

For that reason, I cannot be dissatisfied with where we are nor shed too many tears for old times. Playing in a fantastic stadium where my boys can actually see the action and at a very good standard of football. Love it.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Nope

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
The OP mentions league 2 and I assume he is referring to the 4th tier of English football, but the general tone of the thread is more about Withdean. Am I right in thinking we actually only spent 2 seasons in Tier 4 (Div 3 as it was then?) when playing at Withdean. We spent 3 time in the Championship.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know it sounds odd, but does anyone miss the cold winter nights at Withdean, with a tray of chips and curry sauce in one hand, whilst maybe waving a brown envelope at the Chesterfield bench?

It's all gone a bit corporate now, and I tend to enjoy the games less.

You must be ****ing joking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here