Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone prefer it when we were in League 2?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Winning the division in 2000-1 is still my favourite season following the Albion (of 48 since 1967!), because we could all start to really believe again. Also, I liked us being outsiders, rather than part of the football establishment which, however we look at it, we are. Nice new ground though and one or two above average footballers.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I know it sounds odd, but does anyone miss the cold winter nights at Withdean, with a tray of chips and curry sauce in one hand, whilst maybe waving a brown envelope at the Chesterfield bench?

It's all gone a bit corporate now, and I tend to enjoy the games less.

I think it is the lack of expectation that you are describing..when it felt like it was us against he Rest of the World, and there was little expectation about what we might achieve. Now there is the weight of expectation, and the complexities and pressures of what it takes to become a PL club. I know what you mean, but I don't want to go back to that..step back and enjoy the ride from your comfy seat, who knows it could be back before we know it!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I sometimes miss us taking 2000 to places like Lincoln,chesterfield,Grimsby,Shrewsbury etc but the withdean 'experience' is not one I miss on a regular basis!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I miss the away fans - they were proper fans. Who else would come down from Rochdale on a Tuesday night!

The rest - nope.

If I remember Withdean for one thing it will be laughing at the time delay between the away team scoring and their fans cheering.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
No, but I do miss the 'plucky underdogs' tag we had.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
F**K NO!!!

Traipsing up and down the country to tin pot football grounds watching lower league cloggers play hoofball in front of one man and his dog. I'll stick with what we've got now thanks :thumbsup:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I know it sounds odd, but does anyone miss the cold winter nights at Withdean, with a tray of chips and curry sauce in one hand, whilst maybe waving a brown envelope at the Chesterfield bench?

It's all gone a bit corporate now, and I tend to enjoy the games less.

I never used to have curry sauce.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I used to really hate Withdean.

Glad it is history for us.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It feels like a completely different club now - more generic, more corporate, more businesslike. I don't like any of this, but those Amex pies are really nice and the seats are so comfy. And the football is waaay better. No going back.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The thing I preferred about the Withdean was you knew that all the people around you were proper fans. I'm not having a go at the JCL's as they are giving money to the club, however I dislike the 'culture' these days of seemingly relentless moaning every time we don't win a game.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I dislike the 'culture' these days of seemingly relentless moaning every time we don't win a game.

This forum isn't for you then :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
:lolol: No

Besides, we've never been in League 2, it was Division 3.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No. And the main reason for this is because I'm a WIMP.

This weekend is the perfect example. By all accounts tomorrow's weather will be ROTTEN. Like DIRTY ROTTEN.

Normally, when at the Withdean, I would already be in a strop about it at this point. I LOVE watching The Albion but I HATE sitting there in the rain geting cold and miserable. I barely even used to watch the match, instead just SHIVERING continuously.

Now I don't even care. So what Mr Weatherman? You say it's gonna chuck it down? Well SCREW YOU because I've got my ROOF and dry PIE and I may even have a BOVRIL.

shangambling1

Sep 28, 2011
Brighton
For me personally the novelty of going to the Amex every other weekend still hasn't worn off and it won't for a long time.. Although prices of booze and food are forcing me to divert to The Swan before hand now a days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here