Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar: definitive (hopefullly!)opening times, rules re kids, plus Dark Star news

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
Seriously - what law says...

Kids are allowed in there on non-matchdays but not on matchdays themselves.
Kids are allowed in most/all other fan bars on matchdays - ones that I can recollect include Torquay's "Boots n Laces" and Walsall's "Saddlers Club" - but not ours.

This.

[MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] - many thanks for pursuing all of this

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Quality find!! The bastards.

I may even approve this post so that you can hit the five green squares with the rest of us plebs back on one!!!!!!!

Oh I can't, I have to spread the love some more first!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There must be a separate set of laws governing football grounds, otherwise they couldnt stop you taking drinks onto the terraces, whereas you can at Cricket, Rugby etc etc

Of course there are. This is something completely different however.

Quality find!! The bastards.

I may even approve this post so that you can hit the five green squares with the rest of us plebs back on one!!!!!!!

It wasn't a find - I emailed them to ask them.

(Most kind on the approve anyway)

I still think it is wrong, its all fine and well saying you can take your kids there on other days, but some of us do not have the time, others do not have the funds or ability to get there for a special trip, just so the kids can get in and see everything.

I think it is a bad move, and I am fed up hearing from people that do not have kids that they think they deserve a sanctury from them.

Its hard enough being a parent without outside sources sticking more roadblocks into your day!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Kids can drink their lemonade ANYWHERE in the ground. I can ONLY drink a pint of Amstel or Heineken in the supporters bar. Space is at a premium, therefore there simply isn't the room to have kids in the supporters bar.

It really is that simple.

And besides, not everybody wants kids around. Give those of us that don't ONE sanctuary away from your little darlings

Parents of kids may also want Amstel and as its first come first served then the space premium answer doesnt hold up.

And one suggestion if you want a kid free zone is perhaps to join spearmint rhino's?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The general rule is that if you don't want to go into a bar for the next 16 years then have a kid innit? People moaning about not being able to take a child into a bar need to realise that it's nobody's fault but their own.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not bothered about the no kids rule. If the bar IS going to be popular and can only hold 200 people, do they really want to chance of having potentially more than 25% of that being taken up by kids ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The law is that you can't drink in sight of the pitch at football grounds.

You can't see the pitch from Dick's Bar.

But only within 15 minutes before and 15 minutes afterwards

Alcohol in Football Stadiums
The possession and consumption of alcohol is controlled by current legislation in England and Wales (see Bibliography) at the following sporting events:

•any association football matches in which one or both of the participating teams represents a club which is for the time being a member (whether a full or associate member) of the Football League, the Premier League, the Football Conference National Division, the Scottish Football League or Welsh Premier League, or represents a country or territory; or
•any association football matches in the competition for the Football Association Cup (other than in a preliminary or qualifying round).
At these events it is an offence to:

•possess alcohol or to be drunk whilst entering, or trying to enter, the ground.
•be drunk inside the ground.
•in general spectator areas, to possess alcohol in any part of the ground that offers sight of the pitch during the period commencing two hours before the start of the match and finishing one hour after the end of the match.
•in hospitality boxes and other rooms which overlook the pitch, to possess alcohol during the period commencing 15 minutes before the start of the match and finishing 15 minutes after the end of the match.
•be in possession of bottles, cans or other portable containers which are for holding drink and which, when empty, are normally thrown away or returned to the supplier and which are capable of causing injury to a person struck by them. This applies to any spectator entering or trying to enter the ground, and any spectators in any area
of the ground from which the event may be directly viewed.
There is also legislation in Scotland which prohibits the provision and consumption of alcohol within spectator areas inside Scottish football grounds and allows, in limited circumstances, the provision and consumption in hospitality areas provided the view of the pitch is obscured.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OK so as suspected it isn't a licensing restriction after all and looks as if it's just club policy not to allow kids on match days. But who can blame them?

Kids can drink their lemonade ANYWHERE in the ground. I can ONLY drink a pint of Amstel or Heineken in the supporters bar. Space is at a premium, therefore there simply isn't the room to have kids in the supporters bar.

It really is that simple.

And besides, not everybody wants kids around. Give those of us that don't ONE sanctuary away from your little darlings

If it's club policy then so be it. I'll not be happy with that decision and I think it goes against the whole inclusive ethos of the club. I would also hope and expect the club to be completely transparent about their policy. I'd not expect to be fobbed off with it being a legal constraint if it wasn't.*

(* For clarity: I'm not stating the club are fobbing us off, but I am interested in further details as to the law which has led to a matchday only no kids restriction.)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The general rule is that if you don't want to go into a bar for the next 16 years then have a kid innit? People moaning about not being able to take a child into a bar need to realise that it's nobody's fault but their own.

I'm struggling to think of a single bar, that is open on a Saturday lunchtime, where people can't visit with children.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think people are arguing about the wrong point.

It's a bar , with limited capacity, why should kids be allowed to go in?

The whole of the stadium should be suitable for families with all the concourse to get food and drink for the children. If the concourse or family area isn't suitable for children, that's really another issue entirely

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

BAMMO!

This is exactly it.

I don't go down your child's school, or to the creche, or the playground in the park. Why do kids need to be in the ADULTS bar?

They should be able to look forward to the day that they can drink in there themselves. The bar and stadium aren't going anywhere. I still remember the first time my old man took me into a bar for a GROWN UP drink and it was a NICE moment. People should be looking forward to times like these instead of demanding to jump the gun just to suit their own needs.

You DO NOT need to take your kids into the bar. The club DOES NOT need their custom in the bar.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm struggling to think of a single bar, that is open on a Saturday lunchtime, where people can't visit with children.

Some bar's don't allow children, it's to do with the license

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think people are arguing about the wrong point.

It's a bar , with limited capacity, why should kids be allowed to go in?

You could argue the same (not trying to open up a whole new can of worms) for wheelchair users - ten of them would take up much more space than 10 kids

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
If the club have said no kids, lets respect that, as there is obviously a reason for it, and yes I do have kids of my own before anyone asks.
Kids have the family stand, leave the bar for the adults.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BAMMO!

This is exactly it.

I don't go down your child's school, or to the creche, or the playground in the park. Why do kids need to be in the ADULTS bar?

They should be able to look forward to the day that they can drink in there themselves. The bar and stadium aren't going anywhere. I still remember the first time my old man took me into a bar for a GROWN UP drink and it was a NICE moment. People should be looking forward to times like these instead of demanding to jump the gun just to suit their own needs.

You DO NOT need to take your kids into the bar. The club DOES NOT need their custom in the bar.

1. No-one has ever said it is an "ADULTS bar". Until now.
2. The club have stated there is a legal reason stopping children entering on matchdays. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask "which law is that?" when things don't just stack up, as per my first post on this thread.
3. You seem to be pretty sure it's club policy not law. Why have we been told it's a legal constraint then?

Look - I'm not too bothered either way. I'm curious to know the details though, having enjoyed other fan bars where kids have always been present.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here