Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar: definitive (hopefullly!)opening times, rules re kids, plus Dark Star news

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Question..

I assume the bar is open on Saturdays when we play away from home, will they be playing the live commentary at the bar/perhaps even more albion-away related stuff? I guess a live feed from the respective away stadium is out of the question?

Would be a good way to spend away-game days, I can't afford the travel costs of roaming the country :(

Absolutely superb idea, generating revenue for the club and enabling fans who can't make it to share an Albion afternoon together..will be forwarded

Rochdale/Ernest, I said on another thread - £500 goes behind the bar from me at 7pm after the Donny game, I presume you're going to kiss Dick Knight's ARS in the centre circle as you promised, maybe you can do it dressed as Lady Gaga, though you won't need much make up since you're the spitting image of her already :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolutely superb idea, generating revenue for the club and enabling fans who can't make it to share an Albion afternoon together..will be forwarded

Rochdale/Ernest, I said on another thread - £500 goes behind the bar from me at 7pm after the Donny game, I presume you're going to kiss Dick Knight's ARS in the centre circle as you promised, maybe you can do it dressed as Lady Gaga, though you won't need much make up since you're the spitting image of her already :)

What if you're person number 300 in the queue to get in John?

And a belated thanks for passing on the info here - it is very much appreciated. (The no kids thing just doesn't sound right to me.)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It's interesting you say that (about the money going behind the bar at 7pm).

On Tuesday, some members of staff were saying that the bars would be shut two hours after the end of the match. The might be the case in the concourses, but it would cause a riot if that was the case in Dick's Bar (or in the 1901 bit).

After having spoken to Ken Brown on Tuesday (he asked - with a straight face - whether he thought Dick's Bar would be busy on matchdays), I honestly think the club hasn't cottoned on to what a bunch of lushes there are going to be in the ground on matchday.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ignore me, misread your post.

Then this post makes no sense...

Two hours after is about 7pm. I left at about 6.30, and you'd hardly know a football match had taken place, and the place was pretty much empty by then. Above and beyond that, I've no idea what the thinking is.

Point is, in Dick's Bar at least, it appears that they will be staying open until the last people go. Or until 11.30pm - whichever is soonest.

Last edited:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
It's interesting you say that (about the money going behind the bar at 7pm).

On Tuesday, some members of staff were saying that the bars would be shut two hours after the end of the match. The might be the case in the concourses, but it would cause a riot if that was the case in Dick's Bar (or in the 1901 bit).

After having spoken to Ken Brown on Tuesday (he asked - with a straight face - whether he thought Dick's Bar would be busy on matchdays), I honestly think the club hasn't cottoned on to what a bunch of lushes there are going to be in the ground on matchday.

You're absolutely right, Alan :) As is inevitable, with a completely new ground, a lot of things are up in the air - the club still don't really know what is going to happen, although we do, don't we, and someone needs to tell them, which is what I'm doing! Reiterating here: Piranhas playing Dick's Bar 7pm after Donny game. Won't be much pulblicity, but lots of people already know. The bar will NOT be shutting two hours after the game, I don't think Ken is in the loop at all on this. Bozza - cheers, mate, I'm doing my best!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Was having a look to see if I could find the laws re kids in bars at football grounds and came across this new campaign

Terrace Equality - Relaxation of Alcohol Restrictions in Football : F.C. Business

Terrace Equality - Relaxation of Alcohol Restrictions in Football
Fri 15th Jul 2011 | Money & Finance

F.C. Business launches its campaign for the relaxation of alcohol licensing restrictions at football matches today.

In what is a first for the business magazine for the football industry, they will seek to lobby the support of 92 football league club chairman, chief executives, and stadium and safety managers in a move to push for a full risk analysis of the legislation before a concerted effort is made for a change in the law.

Current legislation prevents alcohol being consumed on football terraces and the visual selling of it in corporate areas which leads to concourse congestion and binge drinking amongst fans.

The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol) Act 1985, amended by the Licensing Act 2003, the Public Order Act 1986 and through secondary legislation covers all “designated sports grounds”, but is not applied to any other games or events, including both rugby codes, cricket or music concerts, even when they take place in football stadia.

F.C. Business Editor Ryan McKnight explained why he believes the time is right for the campaign “On one hand we are saying football clubs must be solvent and profitable and on the other hand there is discriminative legislation preventing further revenue growth in this area.

“The law needs to be reviewed. With the advent of Financial Fair Play entering the Premier League and the Football League it is imperative that we, as the business publication for the industry, do everything possible to help open up and expand revenue streams.”

The majority of clubs believe the Act should be reviewed or even scrapped and some have explored the possibility of entering dialogue with Ministers on the issue. Despite this, many clubs have not been prepared to debate the subject in public.

“We believe the issue should be discussed in public in an open and honest manner,” added McKnight.

“Football fans are being discriminated against. The dynamics of today’s football crowd has changed remarkably since this legislation was first introduced. We are constantly reminded that today’s football supporter is of a different demographic to that of 20 years ago.”

“Football clubs now, more than ever, need to be able to generate extra revenue. Allowing fans the opportunity to take their drinks back to their seats will ease concourse congestion allowing more fans to purchase drinks and food helping to increase revenue as well as promoting a more sensible approach to drinking.

F.C. Business learnt that the FA’s Sanctions and Registrations Committee recently came close to approving minutes proposing a total ban of alcohol in all stadia - by accident.

The wording of the minutes proposed the ban, instead of proposing that amateur football be subject to the same rules as the top end of the game.

Over the coming months, F.C. Business will be promoting the campaign which will take in the views of the clubs, the police and stadium safety officers, football fans, and the drinks industry.

Campaign Objectives

• Open up the debate on alcohol consumption on terraces

• Push for a full risk analysis of alcohol consumption at football matches

• Bring legislation into line with other sports

Reasons for Campaign

• Increase football clubs’ revenue generation potential

• End discrimination against football fans

• Reduce concourse congestion

• Reduce incidence of binge drinking

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Two hours after is about 7pm. I left at about 6.30, and you'd hardly know a football match had taken place, and the place was pretty much empty by then. Above and beyond that, I've no idea what the thinking is.

Point is, in Dick's Bar at least, it appears that they will be staying open until the last people go. Or until 11.30pm - whichever is soonest.

Yeah, sorry read your original post to say they were closing the bars on the concourse.

Myself and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] stayed for one more pint after the game and it was pretty much empty then.

Don't think many people will hang about after games if I'm being honest, regardless of how nice the stadium is it's still exactly that. Feels a bit like drinking in a posh multi story car park. Plus the beer/cider is shocking!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yeah, sorry read your original post to say they were closing the bars on the concourse.

Myself and @Bozza stayed for one more pint after the game and it was pretty much empty then.

Don't think many people will hang about after games if I'm being honest, regardless of how nice the stadium is it's still exactly that. Feels a bit like drinking in a posh multi story car park. Plus the beer/cider is shocking!

I think the same and Bozza tells me there's nowhere to sit and what with no chips - I'm not going to rush to get there early or want to hang around afterwards.

I feel partly to blame for the no kids rule in Dick's bar. It's obviously a hangover from the altercation I had a few years back with some fuckwitted stewards at the Sportsman and their petty rules about children having to take their hats off in the pub.

We'd even sorted a new hat out just for the first game:

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 418

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I'm very disappointed about the ruling on kids but i suppose if it's the law there is nothing that can be done.

That effectively rules me out of using this facility on a matchday. I was looking forward to a post match drink and a bite to eat discussing the game and perhaps taking in a bit of Sky Sports watching the results in comfort.

The concourses, for all the superb effort that the club have put in are pretty soulless (as they at practically all stadia) and the idea of standing there for any period of time afterwards does not make any appeal. In the ramp up game, there was hardly anybody who stayed in these areas so I can't imagine it will be any different with nowhere to sit or put your drink.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From the good people at Brighton & Hove City Council...

Dear Darren

We issued the Premises Licence for regulated entertainment and alcohol in May this year. There are no conditions on the licence preventing children from being in the bar on match days. The law allows for children to be on licensed premises providing they are accompanied by an adult (over 18). If what you’ve been told is the case then it’s not because it’s a requirement of the Premises Licence or the Licence Act 2003. I can only presume it’s the clubs own policy or possibly part of the Safety Certificate.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That effectively rules me out of using this facility on a matchday. I was looking forward to a post match drink and a bite to eat discussing the game and perhaps taking in a bit of Sky Sports watching the results in comfort.

Same here I'm afraid. I'm sure the club will be providing tables and shelves in the east stand at some point but it was impossible to eat a curry and hold a pint at the same time. This makes arriving early less appealing and staying late even less so. The club have opened the Brasserie in the east stand, not sure how family friendly this is (I believe when they applied for planning permission it was going to be a family restaurant) but perhaps they are hoping that is where families will go pre and post match?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Cheers Attila. My tech knowledge of how they do the filming is limited RE live stream, but the whole match is filmed, one would presume that basic streaming facilities are certainly available at top end club grounds.

It would be interesting to see what the demand for it would be, I think it'd be great to have a good ol' chinwag about how the game is going though and there should be no issues with at least streaming the audio live. Perhaps create an away day package..

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Myself and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Don't think many people will hang about after games if I'm being honest, regardless of how nice the stadium is it's still exactly that. Feels a bit like drinking in a posh multi story car park. Plus the beer/cider is shocking!

This. The concept of drinking after the game in stadiums is so completely alien I just don't think it will catch on. I won't even be doing it in the 1901. Most people want to get home or get down the pub, you're never going to compete with the pull of these just by sticking a bit of artwork on a few concrete walls and charging heavily for beer and pies!!!!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
OK so as suspected it isn't a licensing restriction after all and looks as if it's just club policy not to allow kids on match days. But who can blame them?

Kids can drink their lemonade ANYWHERE in the ground. I can ONLY drink a pint of Amstel or Heineken in the supporters bar. Space is at a premium, therefore there simply isn't the room to have kids in the supporters bar.

It really is that simple.

And besides, not everybody wants kids around. Give those of us that don't ONE sanctuary away from your little darlings

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
From the good people at Brighton & Hove City Council...

Quality find!! The bastards.

I may even approve this post so that you can hit the five green squares with the rest of us plebs back on one!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here