Dick's Bar: definitive (hopefullly!)opening times, rules re kids, plus Dark Star news

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well on this I agree. We SHOULD have more areas for people to sit down with tables and/or shelves. But at the moment this isn't the case, and this tiny bar was never going to be the answer to that particular problem.

It strikes me that a lot of people seem to think it is a RIGHT rather than a PRIVILEGE that they be allowed to take their children into a licensed bar.

Because it IS your right to take children into a licensed bar if the premises gives approval.

What is being queried querying is why that approval isn't being given for Dick's Bar.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm interested that you know so much about what this bar was, and more importantly wasn't, going to be. Perhaps you can enlighten us mere mortals?

All I am saying is that on match days it is A BAR. Not a cafe, not a restaurant, just a bar. I don't pretend to know exactly what the club's plans and ambitions for it were but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to suggest it was planned with families in mind. Why should it have been?

A child can guzzle down his fizzy pop in his seat. I can't swig on my beer at my seat, so it is nice I'll have somewhere I can potentially sit down with it

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Talking about making mountain out of a molehill, this is classic NSC moaning. The fact that Dicks is not going to cater for children is not really a big deal considering how many people the place can fit in the place, and it is not as if there are no alternative options for pre-match activities for those who are accompanying children. It's discussions like this that make me appreciate why Martin Perry's blood starts to boil.

I disagree. I think this is one the issues that defines a family or community club - i.e. not having areas where certain people - children - are not welcome.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Because it IS your right to take children into a licensed bar if the premises gives approval.

What is being queried querying is why that approval isn't being given for Dick's Bar.

Haven't you just backed up my point there? The premises needs to have given its approval to allow children in. But there is absolutely no need for it to do so in this instance.

You either appease the fans who want kids in, at the risk of upsetting those who don't, or you just make the fairly straightforward decision to not allow kids in on match days. With demand high and space at a premium, why would you want to encourage MORE people to use the place than you need to?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
All I am saying is that on match days it is A BAR. Not a cafe, not a restaurant, just a bar. I don't pretend to know exactly what the club's plans and ambitions for it were but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to suggest it was planned with families in mind. Why should it have been?

A child can guzzle down his fizzy pop in his seat. I can't swig on my beer at my seat, so it is nice I'll have somewhere I can potentially sit down with it

Good for you. What about the rest of us who do have kids? Not all are whingeing out-of-control brats. At least at Withdean we had the Sportsman that welcomed all including families and I never saw any issues with having kids in there. Now, it would appear we don't have any options. And don't even insult parents by saying the concourse bars, as Bozza said "posh car park", certainly not a good place for a post match beer and chat about the game.

Perhaps one day if you have kids, you might offer up a bit more understanding.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
BAMMO!

This is exactly it.

I don't go down your child's school, or to the creche, or the playground in the park. Why do kids need to be in the ADULTS bar?

They should be able to look forward to the day that they can drink in there themselves. The bar and stadium aren't going anywhere. I still remember the first time my old man took me into a bar for a GROWN UP drink and it was a NICE moment. People should be looking forward to times like these instead of demanding to jump the gun just to suit their own needs.

You DO NOT need to take your kids into the bar. The club DOES NOT need their custom in the bar.

Gotta agree with Mr Squid here, though I think it's largely people who have kids say yay and people without say nay. The lack of kids is going to be one of the few differences between the bars and the concourses anyway. Afterall, it's not going to be THAT easy to get a seat in there or anything. Do you really want to have your children standing up in a crowded bar all that time?

On a selfish note, with no kids, and no ability for smokers to go out and come back in again (or is there?), there might actually be a chance of the rest of us getting in there on a match day!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Haven't you just backed up my point there? The premises needs to have given its approval to allow children in. But there is absolutely no need for it to do so in this instance.

You either appease the fans who want kids in, at the risk of upsetting those who don't, or you just make the fairly straightforward decision to not allow kids in on match days. With demand high and space at a premium, why would you want to encourage MORE people to use the place than you need to?

Then read the second part of my post. There is not a clear reason WHY the premises is not giving approval.

Frankly, it's pitiable if some people get upset drinking beer when under 18s are about.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

One could equally argue, that there is no reason for them NOT to give that approval.

That is the point that you are deliberately ignoring.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I disagree. I think this is one the issues that defines a family or community club - i.e. not having areas where certain people - children - are not welcome.
Do you not think that the family and community club status was only adopted to win friends, influence people and get on board future supporters? Behind the charitable facade I bet there is a commercial decision behind it all.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do you not think that the family and community club status was only adopted to win friends, influence people and get on board future supporters? Behind the charitable facade I bet there is a commercial decision behind it all.

If there is a commercial decision behind it (which I could partially understand), why hide behind 'it's not a club decision - it's the law'?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Frankly, it's pitiable if some people get upset drinking beer when under 18s are about.

In all fairness I do not believe its the fact that its 18's in there, its the fact that supporters may not gain access due to under 18's taking up space that they could have, if, for example, they arrive after the maximum limit of people was reached.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

That sounds all well and good in principle, but I do not think Dicks being adults only is the travesty it is being made to be on this thread.

OK, once again it is an issue that you could argue has been yet gain been handled clumsily by the club, but the bald fact s that with a capacity of 250 there will be plenty of adults who cannot get in let alone children. It seems to me that there is an appetite to seek offence at practically everything the club does these days and I am finding it extremely tiresome.

One thing is clear, Bloom better have a big ad in Monday's Guardian looking for a new PR or communications director as everything they do turns to shit at the moment.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Then read the second part of my post. There is not a clear reason WHY the premises is not giving approval.

Why does it NEED to give a reason?

The supporters bar is an added luxury. The club didn't have to give it to us. We should just be grateful it exists at all.

If a pub opened up on your street and the landlord told you politely that they didn't allow kids, would you kick off that it wasn't fair and it was your right to take kids drinking with you? I very much doubt you would.

I'm genuinely surprised by the level of outrage on this thread.

It goes back to my original point that people seem to feel it is a RIGHT and not a PRIVILEGE to be able to take children into a public bar. It has never been a right, and nor should it be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
£3.50 for a coke and a cake, bought for a child is just as valid as the same figure as a pint of dark Star bought for an adult.

I'd suggest the profit on a soft drink is at least the same as a pint.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Very good point. I've got the solution then: Mums and Dads (and Uncle Alan), send the kids round to their seats with their cans of coke or whatever that they're allowed to drink in sight of the pitch. You go in the bar and drink the beer that you're NOT allowed to drink in sight of the pitch. Then after a couple of pints go and check on them to make sure they're all right, thus freeing up a bit more space in the bar for incoming parents (and blokes who just want to drink and swear).

There. Compromise reached, problem solved, end of thread. Next issue please.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
If there is a commercial decision behind it (which I could partially understand), why hide behind 'it's not a club decision - it's the law'?
Because I suspect it's easier to hide behind that instead of telling it like it is. Unfortunately for them Bozza exposed it for the BS it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports