Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby were poor

southstandSam

May 5, 2014
I was at the Amex last night supporting Derby and i have to say i thought we were very fortunate to have won the game.

The above said it is quite clear why Brighton do not score many goals and probably why you are not ready for promotion.

Being perfectly honest i am not sure we are ready either and i often wonder if we finished third because we are a decent side or because this league is not very good ??

Last night we did not perform well at all and played far too deep often passing backwards and sideways instead of forwards where we have been at our most devastating this season, they say it is a sign of a good side when you play poor and win but i feel we had bags of luck last night but hey you need that throughout a season !!

It is all to play for and this contest is far from over.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was at the Amex last night supporting Derby and i have to say i thought we were very fortunate to have won the game.

The above said it is quite clear why Brighton do not score many goals and probably why you are not ready for promotion.

Being perfectly honest i am not sure we are ready either and i often wonder if we finished third because we are a decent side or because this league is not very good ??

Last night we did not perform well at all and played far too deep often passing backwards and sideways instead of forwards where we have been at our most devastating this season, they say it is a sign of a good side when you play poor and win but i feel we had bags of luck last night but hey you need that throughout a season !!

It is all to play for and this contest is far from over.

This post worries me massively for Sunday.....If that was Derby playing bad......#gulp

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
A group of Derby fans on the train last night admitted they'd come away from the Amex feeling a tad lucky and felt we probably should have had a draw. Interesting to hear their comments about how much possession we enjoyed in their half but we didn't create many chances, only making their keeper make two decent saves. Fair comment.

I recall in the league game at their place Derby took all three points with a well taken goal by Bamford. However we did not exactly roll over despite having a much depleted team. I was amazed how they so readily parked the bus (despite being at home) and resorted to time wasting. Very strange. I believe they can be rattled if we play like we did at Leicester and put them under pressure from the start, shut the crowd up and ruin what I suspect many Rams will hope is just a formality.

I'm quietly optimistic about the 2nd leg. If we can get something out of the game having been 2-1 down then it will be a very decent achievement, and a great springboard for the final. I do think Oscar might have to change the starting XI. Maybe Ince for JFC (pity that Crofts and Stephens aren't available. Perhaps March or even CMS for Orlandi, just to make us less predictable and give us a bit more pace.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Very confident about sunday Derby will not get away with playing the way they did last night in front of there own fans, they will have to come at us which will suite us much better and we can pick them of.
they only had one player that frightened me and that was Ward the rest were very ordinary but play well as a team.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Very confident about sunday Derby will not get away with playing the way they did last night in front of there own fans, they will have to come at us which will suite us much better and we can pick them of.
they only had one player that frightened me and that was Ward the rest were very ordinary but play well as a team.

Personally, I'd have said Russell was head and shoulders better than (Jamie) Ward last night and is the one to keep quiet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You are drunk mate. They came to hit us quickly on the break and managed exactly that....mission accomplished

They were nothing special and were BLOODY lucky. ONE shot on target and got two goals. That's very lucky. They won't be able to play like that in the home leg and we were better any time they weren't on the counter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This post worries me massively for Sunday.....If that was Derby playing bad......#gulp

They had ONE shot on target all game. When they weren't on the counter we were by far the better side, very unfortunate to end 2-1 to them, we had 14 shots. Also our worst crossing display of the entire season, a more regular crossing display would've seen 2/3 more goals. Their goalie getting MoM tells you all you need to know. Will he have such a world class game on Sunday?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They had ONE shot on target all game. When they weren't on the counter we were by far the better side, very unfortunate to end 2-1 to them, we had 14 shots. Also our worst crossing display of the entire season, a more regular crossing display would've seen 2/3 more goals.

We've had the lack of shot stats thrown at us most of the season, when often it doesn't tell the story of the game (which you yourself have argued in defence of our own performance when criticised for lack of shots). From the 25th to the 47th min, they pretty much tore us a new ********. An experienced player like Upson doesn't make a challenge like that unless his brain is scrambled. They swarmed us with pace, movement, numbers and precision, from my view we were at times petrified and all at sea. The number of crosses they flashed across the box, last ditch tackles we made doesn't tell a story in the 'shots' stats.

They were then 2-1 up, while I felt we played well second half, I also felt they were happy to sit back, keep a good shape, and defend their lead. Where were we unfortunate really? The keeper made some saves? We had some dubious pens waved away? Did we really take a risk and put them under serious pressure, or did we rely on some magic from Kaz? (who did in turn send panic through their defence).

We completely lacked a presence in the middle of the park, at times could could have put one of those massive MotD virtual circles and there wasn't a single Albion player in there. Andrews and JFC were often treading on the toes of our centre halves (who weren't pushing up enough), either Orlandi or later Lingard then didn't drop that little bit to pick up the space. 2nd half especially our back 4 should have been brave enough to squeeze up but were still terrified of the pace. It meant Andrews and JFC rarely contributed offensively.

If Derby play anything like 25th to 47th minute, we are seriously in for a tough time. If we start like we did 5th to 25th, then perhaps the only thing I'll be gulping is champagne!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
We got through the away game and you lost you're chance to have an advantage. But did anyone associated with Brighton actually believe you could come to the iPro to see the game out? Surely not?

I was v impressed with Derby. The one shot/2 goals chat conveniently forgets the numerous and menacing crosses they whizzed across our 6 yard box. No, they didn't set up camp in our half and the pressure was sporadic but when Derby had the ball they looked dangerous each and every time.
But the fact is we have 90 minutes to score a minimum of 1 goal. We are not going to have to sit back and nervously defend all game, the onus will be on us to go and get that goal. And that suits us perfectly.
I'm often a little cynical when fans make excuses for the players and blame the manager when things don't go quite right. Sunday is different. For me, the outcome is TOTALLY reliant on who Oscar picks to start this game.......and it must not contain two midfielders with remits to patrol in front of the back 4.
Mcclaren wont change much, we know that. He started with his A team last night and he'll stick with it at home. It's Oscar alone who can change the outcome of Sunday. Let's see if he gets it right.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought they were very quick on the break and well organised but for a 1st class display from their keeper, MOM, we woukd be in front so I am very optimistic about Sunday. Whoever scores the first goal will prove to be crucial.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
We've had the lack of shot stats thrown at us most of the season, when often it doesn't tell the story of the game (which you yourself have argued in defence of our own performance when criticised for lack of shots). From the 25th to the 47th min, they pretty much tore us a new ********. An experienced player like Upson doesn't make a challenge like that unless his brain is scrambled. They swarmed us with pace, movement, numbers and precision, from my view we were at times petrified and all at sea. The number of crosses they flashed across the box, last ditch tackles we made doesn't tell a story in the 'shots' stats.

They were then 2-1 up, while I felt we played well second half, I also felt they were happy to sit back, keep a good shape, and defend their lead. Where were we unfortunate really? The keeper made some saves? We had some dubious pens waved away? Did we really take a risk and put them under serious pressure, or did we rely on some magic from Kaz? (who did in turn send panic through their defence).

We completely lacked a presence in the middle of the park, at times could could have put one of those massive MotD virtual circles and there wasn't a single Albion player in there. Andrews and JFC were often treading on the toes of our centre halves (who weren't pushing up enough), either Orlandi or later Lingard then didn't drop that little bit to pick up the space. 2nd half especially our back 4 should have been brave enough to squeeze up but were still terrified of the pace. It meant Andrews and JFC rarely contributed offensively.

If Derby play anything like 25th to 47th minute, we are seriously in for a tough time. If we start like we did 5th to 25th, then perhaps the only thing I'll be gulping is champagne!

FFS, couldn't you have warned me you were going to post that. Everything I was trying to put but infinitely better!

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
If Derby were poor what did that make us, exactly?
Overrated, Judging by the tinted rose specs comments on here chap..

I missed the first 35 min's, So all i saw was a team who were clearly struggling..
Maybe the Expectations are still quite low from experiencing decades of lower league football. I'm not sure.

But what I saw at times, Was some pretty poor moments from some well paid individuals, Who frankly should be ashamed.
Even that clumsy tackle and conceding a penalty, from an experienced ex premiere league man was frustrating.

There were times when even a simple pass when not under any pressure went to the opposition.
The last 10 mins really taxed my annoyance when cross after cross was hit and hope.

One of the crossed balls into the box from the left flank, didn't even make it into the box, because he never lifted his head to see where he was
before he even crossed it..This ended up 10 yards over the goal.. FFS.

These guy's are getting paid good money, but committing silly schoolboy errors, And it's unnecessary.

I hope for a much more committed and polished effort for the trip to derby..

COMMITTED i hear you shout shout, YES, COMMITTED.
Which means NOT walking with the ball at your feet with just 10 min left to play and still LOSING..

Chase EVERYTHING, RUN for 90mins.. take the game by it's neck and not let the apposition take control this time..

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Overrated, Judging by the tinted rose specs comments on here chap..

I missed the first 35 min's, So all i saw was a team who were clearly struggling..
Maybe the Expectations are still quite low from experiencing decades of lower league football. I'm not sure.

But what I saw at times, Was some pretty poor moments from some well paid individuals, Who frankly should be ashamed.
Even that clumsy tackle and conceding a penalty, from an experienced ex premiere league man was frustrating.

There were times when even a simple pass when not under any pressure went to the opposition.
The last 10 mins really taxed my annoyance when cross after cross was hit and hope.

One of the crossed balls into the box from the left flank, didn't even make it into the box, because he never lifted his head to see where he was
before he even crossed it..This ended up 10 yards over the goal.. FFS.

These guy's are getting paid good money, but committing silly schoolboy errors, And it's unnecessary.

I hope for a much more committed and polished effort for the trip to derby..

COMMITTED i hear you shout shout, YES, COMMITTED.
Which means NOT walking with the ball at your feet with just 10 min left to play and still LOSING..

Chase EVERYTHING, RUN for 90mins.. take the game by it's neck and not let the apposition take control this time..

Chasing, working, scruff of the neck stuff hasn't been a feature of our football all season so I don't imagine that'd change come Sunday - but we'll see.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Personally, I'd have said Russell was head and shoulders better than (Jamie) Ward last night and is the one to keep quiet.

A bit useful. But cannot we learn from this and play Lualua in the same role? We do have to score so it is not about keeping the opposition quiet.

Although I can see why by putting Lulua on one wing and March on the other we can stretch their defence, this can be done by an overlapping full back (if chasing the game). Put Lualua closer to their penalty area!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

You did not get value for money. Watch the first 20 minutes and Derby were shell shocked and there was only one team that was gonna win and that was the Albion.

Then Derby played their way back into the game (helped by Upson). This has happened before at least twice before vs Derby. They were very resilient even under Clough.

At the beginning of the season (under Clough) Derby were winning away and unexpectedly losing at home. Not sure why as the team hasn't changed much. McClaren?

It could happen again, but only if we score early. Unlikely away from home.

East Stand

May 4, 2014
I was v impressed with Derby. The one shot/2 goals chat conveniently forgets the numerous and menacing crosses they whizzed across our 6 yard box. No, they didn't set up camp in our half and the pressure was sporadic but when Derby had the ball they looked dangerous each and every time.
But the fact is we have 90 minutes to score a minimum of 1 goal. We are not going to have to sit back and nervously defend all game, the onus will be on us to go and get that goal. And that suits us perfectly.
I'm often a little cynical when fans make excuses for the players and blame the manager when things don't go quite right. Sunday is different. For me, the outcome is TOTALLY reliant on who Oscar picks to start this game.......and it must not contain two midfielders with remits to patrol in front of the back 4.
Mcclaren wont change much, we know that. He started with his A team last night and he'll stick with it at home. It's Oscar alone who can change the outcome of Sunday. Let's see if he gets it right.

'' McClaren won't change much, we know that. He started with his A team last night and he'll stick with it at home''

I think McClaren will have two choices to make on Sunday.

Firstly, does he bring back Will Hughes for Jeff Hendrick.

Hughes is good in possession and has a better range of passing and can unlock defences.

Hendrick gives us more power and pace running with the ball and is more likely to score.

And, does he bring back Dawkins, instead of Russell.

Dawkins is quick, skillful and rarely loses the ball. His ability to beat his man in tight situations and score or create chances others is important if the game is compressed.

Russell gives us pace going forward and covers a lot of ground for the team when defending.

Other than that the team will be the same.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I watched the game back in Sky plus last night as Wigan v QPR was shocking and I thought they were nothing special at all. And if you listen to McClaren he basically says the same really. They had a good ten minutes or so but we have nothing to fear if we play like that up there and also have a better Ref as they were 2 pens denied to us as well

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
We need to get more players in the box on sunday. great possession in the second have but anything which got put into the box saw Ulloa with about 4 players to battle against. I'm certainly not his biggest fan but it was a night for Crofty.

Is it the personnel or is it the way we set up. Probably abit of both: We need the central midfielders in the box more: Orlandi has it in him to get into dangerous areas but Andrews and JFC's game isnt really about that. Regarding the way we set up, having the back four always looking to get the ball off the goalie and starting attacks so deep means that the midfield are also further away from the other teams goal leaving no one within 10 yards of Ulloa. By the time we eventually move up as a unit the opposition (especially Derby in the second half) have time to get everybody back into position and it's why we struggle against teams who set up to defend against us. It's why we do well against the better teams and why we are decent away.

What's the answer: Over to you Oscar....

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Agree Derby were poor. We need to take every chance tomorrow. You can bet Derby will score at least one so we need to set out to score 3 or 4. We did it against Leicester and could have scored 3 in the opening 20 mins on Thursday.

Need to start with the most positive team

Ulloa
Macca
Lualua
Ince
March
Andrews
Upson (or Dunk)
Calderon
Ward
Greer
Kuszczak