Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby were poor

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Derby weren't poor , they did counter attack really well first half , got the lead , then consolidated in the second . I felt you started well but you seem to lose momentum quite easily when put under pressure . In the second half you had a lot of the ball but lacked urgency in getting forward with ulloa isolated with no support . I feel if derby countered more they could have finished the tie tonight .
You are not out of it , score first up there and it's game on . But derby look a good side to me and look too strong for you . Honest view not a piss take .

Get a life off of the internet you utterly sad ****.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We will make it hard for them. It's not over yet.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What attacks did they have? One shot on target - penalty, and an own goal from hitting the bar. They were lucky.

Exactly; surely we're due a massive slice of luck and a penalty decision to go our way in our 4th game this season against Derby? Even the goal they beat us with at the Ipro the other month was a deflected long shot!

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I said before last night that a draw would not be a bad result for us.A 2.1 defeat is not a good result but we are still in it.
As long as we can keep it tight at the back & not conceed we have every chance of nicking a goal.

Feb 3, 2013
Derby were unbelievably lucky to score, let alone win. They had about 4 chances and scored 2, all they play is counter attacking football and looked weak at the back, which doesn't surprise me as that Buxton guy is a ****ing wrestler in a football kit. To top it all off, the ref hardly did us a favour and gave us nothing in terms of free kicks or pens but was very quick to penalise us.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Derby were unbelievably lucky to score, let alone win. They had about 4 chances and scored 2, all they play is counter attacking football and looked weak at the back, which doesn't surprise me as that Buxton guy is a ****ing wrestler in a football kit. To top it all off, the ref hardly did us a favour and gave us nothing in terms of free kicks or pens but was very quick to penalise us.

all we do is pass side ways do you not understand that the team that scores the most goals wins , oscar certainly does not get rid now

ramraider

May 7, 2014
We weren't brilliant tonight and think that's as much how well you played and stopped us controlling a game as much as we normally do. Yes, we break with pace and are dangerous when we do but it's normally combimed with having the ability to dominate possession and mix up a slow build up with the quick attacks. How you got on the ball and about us in the first twenty minutes stopped us doing that. Second half we in my opinion foolishly played for what we had and it could come back to bite us on the arse.

So the original poster I think was incorrect saying we were poor....but correct that we weren't as good as normal. Still all to play for on Sunday.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Derby were not as good as I thought they might be. Same old Derby to me. I think they were better last season when we beat them 2-1. We were better then as well.

What they are is resilient. They go behind and then play there way back into the game. We've got another 90 minutes to score a second goal.

in_the_sand

Banned
Mar 7, 2010
Unfortunately how teams perform often doesn't reflect the final result - Derby's goal has to be one of the unluckiest ever conceded. That being said, the original post is bollox, Derby were very good.

FriendlyRam

May 4, 2014
We weren't great that's for sure.

I think we were wary of the buzz you had coming into the play offs in the style you did so we perhaps played nervously.

What we're about is patience at the back and then minimal touch football when we begin to hit Martin and our wingers. Our LB flies forward and he's almost like a warning to let you know that we want to move the ball quickly.

You pressed us much more than we were comfortable with. Most teams don't press us like that. You actually forced our counter attacking game. We couldn't settle and so had no choice but to move from defence to attack quickly. Usually we'd enjoy some easy possession in our own half. Inviting gradual pressure from teams that show us too much respect.

We weren't poor exactly. You forced that performance out of us. We struggled with the occasion and the pressing game. But we did enough and nearly caught you out a few times in that first half.

This is a great tie. We'll be better on Sunday. And I'm sure you will be less patient on the ball and will be more direct? Which makes me think the next leg will be a better game with us showing our hand a bit more

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

I think we were wary of the buzz you had coming into the play offs in the style you did so we perhaps played nervously.

What we're about is patience at the back and then minimal touch football when we begin to hit Martin and our wingers. Our LB flies forward and he's almost like a warning to let you know that we want to move the ball quickly.

You pressed us much more than we were comfortable with. Most teams don't press us like that. You actually forced our counter attacking game. We couldn't settle and so had no choice but to move from defence to attack quickly. Usually we'd enjoy some easy possession in our own half. Inviting gradual pressure from teams that show us too much respect.

We weren't poor exactly. You forced that performance out of us. We struggled with the occasion and the pressing game. But we did enough and nearly caught you out a few times in that first half.

This is a great tie. We'll be better on Sunday. And I'm sure you will be less patient on the ball and will be more direct? Which makes me think the next leg will be a better game with us showing our hand a bit more

Good assessment that I think. It was a good game. Just gutting to be on the losing side.

FriendlyRam

May 4, 2014
Good assessment that I think. It was a good game. Just gutting to be on the losing side.

It was close though. The tie is very much alive. Nothing was settled last night and in a way it just feels like we survived that game. The 2-1 is irrelevant because this tie was all about getting it back to the iPro with the tie alive. We've done that.

The noise from our manager and players is that we will try to beat you at the iPro. Having a goal advantage won't change it imo. I genuinely believe we will play you exactly how we were always going to play you in the 2nd leg.

We got through the away game and you lost you're chance to have an advantage. But did anyone associated with Brighton actually believe you could come to the iPro to see the game out? Surely not?

Basically imo, because we are a confident attacking force at home there was always going to be a need for you to come here and score. Nothing has changed.

I don't think we've really been put that far off our game by anyone like last night Even when Leicester mauled us 4-1 it was more about us being poor in everything we did rather than being forced into anything.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I saw it a bit differently. I thought that other than looking fragile in the first 25 mins, you got your tactics mostly spot on.

No doubt you were rocking on your heels after the first goal, we really needed to have got a second in that brief period, but when you started counter attacking with pace and numbers with some of the best quick one touch passing I've seen this season, the penalty was almost an inevitable result of the sheer panic through our defence.

Were we unlucky for the 2nd, or would you have been unlucky had it not gone in? It was a brilliantly worked opportunity, down off the crossbar, no complaints from me, it was a good strike.

Tactically second half I thought you contained us, showed no inclination to break in numbers like you did at the end of the first half, and kept us mostly at arms length. In the end, I left feeling that other than the first 25mins, you were comfortable for the rest of the game and happy to go away with the 2-1. We defended so deep from about 80mins that a late equaliser never looked likely.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear you could blow us away in the first 30mins on Sunday.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Derby weren't poor. Albion weren't poor. Very even game. Apart from the ref the only difference I could really see is their pace on the counter attack a-la-Watford last season.

I am confident that the team (exc Andrews, JFC and Orlandi - replace with Ince, Match and CMS) will give it a go.

There is one final twist to this tie...to be continued...

Whirlwind_Ram

May 6, 2014
Were we unlucky for the 2nd, or would you have been unlucky had it not gone in? It was a brilliantly worked opportunity, down off the crossbar, no complaints from me, it was a good strike.

You're right Bold Seagull, your keeper was very unfortunate with our 2nd goal no doubt about that but had it not gone in, we would certainly have been saying Martin was unlucky not to score

Grant made some excellent saves which just goes to show how the score could well have been different

I envisage a fast paced end to end 2nd leg at the iPro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here