Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby were poor

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Derby were clearly much better than us all over the pitch. We started brilliantly but took our foot off the pedal as soon as the clock hit 20 minutes.

If we can play like we did for the first 20 mins all game at Derby on Sunday then I'll have optimism. March needs to start

Agree with this to be honest

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
some of our crosses piss poor thats what cost us imo.

but were still in it , it aint over yet...

just half time

No one to cross too with a Bargain basement lone striker up front , should have gone for it today 4-3-3 we had nothing to lose

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was inline with the penalty, thought it was a dive, looked like the derby player played the defender, we had 2 better penalty calls not given, poor ref with no bottle. Derby I have to admit move the ball faster and more clinical passers. Jake Forster-Caskey was total shite, don't know how he starts instead of March.

It was a penalty, Upson missed the ball, and sandwiched Forsyth between his legs.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Brighton let them back in when for reasons best known to the player he decided to dive in and clean out a Derby player running into traffic in the box. It doesnt help when a ref misses not one but two or maybe even three penalties for us. But it was that crap challenge that changed the game.

Us sitting back after our goal and waiting for them to score changed the game, very poor tactics from Garcia he needs to take up the game of chess

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
They were REALLY quick on the break and that killed us, even if both goals were a bit streaky. 2nd half they had enough confidence not to be so aggressive on the counter and we didn't have enough guile to break them down. How much of that was due to Buckley being injured (again!! Time for the glue factory IMHO) and Lua Lua playing - to my eyes - a bit deeper than I thought he should; god knows! But thought we gave a good account of ourselves and it's been a good seson. And who knows, maybe not over yet! What was it Micky Adams used to say??

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Derby are better than us, but we are not out of it. Next goal absolutely pivotal.

Exactly this for me.

We score first up there and it's well and truly game on. Go a goal behind, I can't see us coming back from that.

Feb 14, 2010
It was a penalty, Upson missed the ball, and sandwiched Forsyth between his legs.

He pretty much assaulted him, dived in and as so late he could have been a British Rail train. Fooking useless challenge, it was so bad that the ref who missed our 2/3 penalties couldnt possibly miss that. Professional footballer? Wasnt even Sunday League

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Derby moved the ball around much quicker than us and with far more purpose. We just TROTTED forward for much of the time. Many of the balls that came in to the lone Albion striker were either over-hit or didn't clear the first man. If Derby were poor then we were poorer. Nevermind, Sunday's another day, maybe it'll all click for us on the day. wouldn't be the first time.

This with bells on, corners too long, crosses met by a wall of defenders, too slow in the build up and no plan 'B'
Having said that, I'm not at all down hearted, it's great to be in the play-offs and I'm really looking forward to Sundays game now. Also, Derby were very good and if they go to Wembley then I hope they win because I think they will be good to watch in the Prem. Lighten up brothers and sisters, to fight and fail at this end of the table is far better than the other end.

They were very dangerous running at us pace, makes any defender worry. We dived in recklessly too many times, and they picked us off easily. Whilst Greer was immense against Martyn, can't help feeling Dunk with his better pace and excellent distribution would serve us better than Upson in the 2nd leg. Although the chances of Garcia doing this are zero.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Going to preface this by saying I don't think Derby are poor at all - but a very good side, who totally deserve to be third and therefore are rightful favourites to go up.

So that makes it all the more frustrating what happened tonight. Two words - opportunity missed. They weren't good tonight. We started well, got the goal, and they were rattled. There were a few passes going uncharacteristically astray, and rushed clearances. They were arguing with each other after the goal.

But we let them off the hook. We just had to stay ahead for longer than that, to let the pressure build a bit more, but it didn't happen. Matthew Upson certainly didn't win the player of the season award for tackles like that, it was a shocker and a game-changer for the penalty. Key player lets you down at a key moment. Then obviously the other one was unlucky but it could easily have gone straight in anyway.

I just thought we were guilty of a few things tonight. Letting the tempo drop; a lot of poor corners; conceding possession far too easily both from misplaced passes and giving away daft fouls and free-kicks.

We are certainly not out of it even though it's going to be very difficult, but it could have been a lot better. Derby have got away with an off night big time.

We deserved our goal and it was well taken. Derby were lucky with each of their goals.

I make that a reason not to be pessimistic about Sunday.

It was certainly the best Albion performance in a play-off game for DECADES.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
V good team. Didn't need their massive good fortune tho. So annoying!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was like watching a product in progress (us) and one near completion (them). Two good teams on show tonight. Shame about our injuries in the middle of the park though as that wasnt strong enough...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here