Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby County vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Derby seem to be a bit of an unknown team with lots of younger players which may come good. This is partly Gus's own words in his interview.

I do not know what to expect. On the face of it I would think of them as poor relations in the middle of country compared to relatively near neighbours Leicester, Forest, Leeds, Birmingham, Wolves. Lots of derbies will increase their crowds somewhat.

It would be better place to visit near the end of the season.

Derby seem to be a bit of an unknown team with lots of younger players which may come good. This is partly Gus's own words in his interview.

I do not know what to expect. On the face of it I would think of them as poor relations in the middle of country compared to relatively near neighbours Leicester, Forest, Leeds, Birmingham, Wolves. Lots of derbies will increase their crowds somewhat.

........... Seems what most think on the Score Predictor. Scores are very random.

Derby v BHA - Score Predictor

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Derby County 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2
(Dobbie 2)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hopefully for those listening in to the radio commentary this afternoon you will hear how Brighton supporters are supposed to sound like - NOISY :clap::clap::clap::clap:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Peter Ward to score in the first few seconds and Albion to hold on against the erstwhile Champions. Whoops! I am in a time warp ......

I don't think I will be too disappointed if we hold on for a 1-1 draw, but if we want automatic promotion (or any team wanting automatic promotion except Forest who won at Pride Park last year) we would be expected to win by a clear goal.

Of course, we should have won the home match, visiting the Baseball Ground was the kiss of death in the League Cup before a big crowd (not as big as the 33,000+ at the Goldstone though). Not so big crowds in the League Cup nowadays at Derby, a paltry crowd against Scunthorpe.

Is Gus Poyet hinting that Liam Bridcutt could be rested? Bruno and Buckley both to play if fit. Not quite sure because of the travelling day. First choices Vicente, Mackail-Smith, Crofts all out. So we are definitely three first choice players missing and it could be as many as six of the current squad.

As far as I can work out we have not got a forward or midfield player or forward that is really capable of heading the ball in the penalty area except Barnes. And then not really the directed angled header. And Dicker is in the side to take corners.

So my forecasted team is a surprising:

Kuszczak
Bruno El-Abd Greer Bridge
Dicker Calderón Hammond Dobbie
Buckley Barnes​

Subs:
Ankergen, Dunk, Lualua, Bridcutt, Lopez, Orlandi, Agdestein.

That team looks strong enough in defence (against Derby), but not very good in attack and only average in midfield.

Last edited:

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Peter Ward to score in the first few seconds and Albion to hold on against the erstwhile Champions. Whoops! I am in a time warp ......

I don't think I will be too disappointed if we hold on for a 1-1 draw, but if we want automatic promotion (or any team wanting automatic promotion except Forest who won at Pride Park last year) we would be expected to win by a clear goal.

Of course, we should have won the home match, visiting the Baseball Ground was the kiss of death in the League Cup before a big crowd (not as big as the 33,000+ at the Goldstone though). Not so big crowds in the League Cup nowadays at Derby, a paltry crowd against Scunthorpe.

Is Gus Poyet hinting that Liam Bridcutt could be rested? Bruno and Buckley both to play if fit. Not quite sure because of the travelling day. First choices Vicente, Mackail-Smith, Crofts all out. So we are definitely three first choice players and it could be as many as six of the current squad.

As far as I can work out we have not got a forward or midfield player or forward that is really capable of heading the ball in the penalty area except Barnes. And then not really the directed angled header. And Dicker is in the side to take corners.

So my forecasted team is a surprising:

Kuszczak
Bruno El-Abd Greer Bridge
Dicker Calderón Hammond Dobbie
Buckley Barnes​

Subs:
Ankergen, Dunk, Lualua, Bridcutt, Lopez, Orlandi, Agdestein.

How quickly people forget Hammond scoring a few times with his head when he was first here...

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"We need to win the next match"

How quickly people forget Hammond scoring a few times with his head when he was first here...

Yep, completely forgotten.

I was looking for the glancing header (Dobbie's one attempt went well wide) or like the near post header Suarez scored against us. Macca is the best the header in the danger area - the goal against Sunderland comes to mind. Becchio (Leeds) is the best striker header of the ball in the Championship - he heads the ball when every other player would have used his feet. I wonder what Hoskins is like at heading ???

Anyrate, we might play the ball on the deck a lot and try and thread the ball through their defence instead of going around the outside and crossing. Hammond's heading ability is valuable in midfield against hoofing teams. Derby are not like that.

Last edited:

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Player to watch for Derby is Hughes. 17 year old who i've seen play anywhere in midfield. A bit lightweight but very comfortable on the ball. Looks a bit wierd as well.

However, on paper our team is better. This is a game im hopeful we shall win. I'm even making the short trip across from Nottingham for.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Player to watch for Derby is Hughes. 17 year old who i've seen play anywhere in midfield. A bit lightweight but very comfortable on the ball. Looks a bit wierd as well.

However, on paper our team is better. This is a game im hopeful we shall win. I'm even making the short trip across from Nottingham for.

17 yo !

Maybe we could put George Barker on the bench ! Maybe a return for Dunk ???

I few Derby player names ring a bell, notably Nathan Tyson and Theo Robinson up front. I think I might remember thinking that John Brayford was a useful defender and an automatic choice for Derby if fit.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
........... Seems what most think on the Score Predictor. Scores are very random.

Derby v BHA - Score Predictor

Seems about right. I hope so. Over half have gone for either 1-2, 1-1 or 0-1. But a fair number have gone for an unpredictable score for some reason ?

Some briliiant goals in the Championship in the week shown on TV.

Just seen the Dean Cox goal. I have never seen an Albion goal scored from a shot in our own half, and I doubt if I ever will.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
OMG seagulls player already on ???????

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Radio: BBC scr 95.3 am (Sussex only)
Not available online.

If I lived outside of Sussex Seagulls Player has got to be good value. Commentaries a plus the match highlights (very brief). Interviews with Gus and Taricco are good as well. I listen on my transistor radio though.

PS: Bob McNicol scored a goal from 35 yards against Burnley in 1961 (before my time) which they were still talking about years afterwards. I heard about it by word of mouth on the east terrace. That was before transistor radios were invented.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Eddie Spearitt (s) scored a goal at Shrewsbury from the left wing guessing the distance would be about 40 yards (probably a cross) against a young John Phillips.
and Gerry Fell scored one from way out but no details at the Goldstone

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
1-0 Albion (Dobbie) 69th minute

Hope Lopez plays and scores a free-kick but don't think he will hense above prediction.

Will be listening with a couple of ales and my cat :thumbsup: #feelingold

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember Gary Hart and Paul McShane scoring from our own own half in consecutive home matches toward the end of 2005/2006 season.

Of course, they were own goals scored from a couple of yards out after Henderson parried the ball against them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here