Derby County vs Brighton and Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Fact is, we have no creativity

Say what you like about our injuries, but to start two unfit players in both games smacks of incompetance. How on earth can Orlandi and Buckley start in front of other players who are fully fit. Not once have we tried to get on the front foot. Going a goal down we should have immediately tried to go at them. It took 60 minutes to get more than three players in their half. Derby have made us look average and we are. We need a clear out and hope that Oscar has learnt something from these to games. If he plays the same next year then he will have learnt nothing. I want it to work out for him, but he cant blame injuries ahead of his tactics. If we were to lose I would have liked to have gone down trying to win the game. Disappointing

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
first 3 seasons back in the Championship have seen us in 2 play-offs. Not bad for a progressing team.

Trust me,before we go forward again,next season after the team is broken up coupled with an uncertain managerial situation,we will go backwards.....i'd take 15th place for next year right now.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Feels better than last season in a perverse kind of way, we are getting properly knocked out of something we didn't expect to be in.

Love hearing the Albion fans, liking Oscar, looking forward to next season. Oh...and sod off the moaners.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We should have taken the initiative from the start but that would never have happened.

This big time! With the team we have yes we may have overachieved and should be grateful to sneaked into the playoffs. However, let's take the game to the opposition rather than just sit and wait and see what happens with Leo plodding a lone furrow up front. We know that Derby can counter attack with pace but surely you change their whole mindset if you push for an early goal.

High on the agenda for next season has to be a creative midfielder but crucially players who can make intelligent runs off the ball. The lack of these elements now and our over cautious attitude just lead to mediocrity.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Outplayed by a superior team with a superior squad. We did well to get 6th. Rebuild with OG.

And face another season of boring, defensive football with one forward?

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Derby are better in every department but we've made it easy for them.
Derby are set up better, know what each and every players role is and understand it led by a manager that is respected by the whole squad. Ditto Leicester & especially Burnley.
We are the polar opposite.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Give our travelling fans credit though. Still making a decent noise.

Must admit I'm with Brian Fantana. Will be cheering 'Arry's lot on if they get past Wigan. Never thought I'd say that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Agree. No shame being beat by the better team over 2 legs, especially when we have lost both center backs today. Nowhere near as bad as being beat by 6th place Palace last year. Finishing 6th is a great achievement that shouldn't be overlooked by today's performance. Disappointing, yes, but overall pleased with a season in which I expected mid table mediocrity.

if you expect it then normally thats what you get

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
In all honesty we have been outplayed by a team full of confidence that has everyone fit and playing well. Beaten by a better side. Pity about the performance but there is a lot of young players there who will hopefully learn from this

Not sure losing play off semi finals is a good lesson to learn. All they can have learned tonight is that they are not good enough.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
How sweet. Just the sort of loosers mentality very prevalent in our fan base and why despite having the biggest support in the division there is no anger, desire or will to win that brings success

Felt that this time last year, including against scheming / always look after no.1 Poyet.
But this time it was incredible we even got to the playoffs, so the money was a bonus, because our team and squad contains so much mediocrity - some old slow players, Ulloa who everyone but me seems to adore (to me a heavy slow-coach, loses every battle against centre halves and gets ref against him), some young players who might/might not make it but are clearly a class or 2 below their equivalent at Derby for example, and some players who are relentlessly injured like Orlandi and Buckley.

It really is D-Day for the Board to decide their strategy re the squad. Pace, power, proven players in their mid-20's .... are required a.s.a.p. in bucketloads. And please end expensive sentiment - why on earth are well paid Ankergren and Brezovan BOTH on our books, slow Greer, even slower Andrews?

Over to TB to exhibit the same brilliant overview he showed with Falmer, Lancing and no doubt his other business interests.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
So finishing 6th is a failure?

No, failing once more in the playoffs is........can I remind you that there are no prizes for finishing 6th......its failure not to get through the tie....again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports