[Albion] Derby - Away Support

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hey, the good people of North Stand Chat. Sorry for the long intro post.

I first visited you lovely ground and forum for the playoff game. Some on here are understandably surprised at the thought of there being many thousands of DCFC flags out for this encounter. That comes from the (Zamora) playoff final. We all know QPR has rubbish fans, but the club gave every one who could be bothered to go to Wembley on the day a free flag and it actually looked damn impressive.

We’re both forward-thinking clubs and ours is always listening to fans and looking for ways to improve atmosphere. Unfortunately for you that means away fans are no longer behind the goal in the South Stand, but instead relegated to the adjacent corner. The South Stand is now a designated singing stand. And this year some supporters formed the 1884 Group to try to improve atmosphere before and during games. One of their initiatives was to raise money to buy a lot of flags, inspired by the playoff final. This worked well and our lovely new wealthy local owner liked what they achieved so much that he’s agreed to take on the funding of the Group. Those of you coming will be impressed by the results.

Meanwhile, it should be a brilliant game. Like you I laugh at the strange comments that “you’ve not played anyone decent yet”. It’s halfway through the campaign FFS! Unbeaten is incredible at this stage and four points clear of (us in) third place you deserve to be favourites for promotion. If this wasn’t such a weird year then our records would mean we were both miles clear at the top, but we all know there are five teams in the mix and it will be heartbreak for three.

Our confidence stems from having a dreadful start to the campaign (no win in the first five games) yet we have been able to catch the group. However, we actually caught the group a few games ago and now find ourselves four points adrift. Any of you who came to that playoff second leg and what was an exhilarating win for us (though I acknowledge it could have been different had Hendrick been sent off for a clumsy challenge), will see a very different Derby at the weekend.

Free-flowing attacking verve has been replaced by professional pragmatism. We still keep the ball and play attractively, but the bottom line is controlling the overall game and not conceding goals. We’ve got better and better at this as the season has progressed, so now have the best defensive record in the league. We’ve only conceded one goal in the last six games and, like most goals we’ve conceded this season, that was a deflected shot from outside the box.

We were poor on Sunday and are very unlikely to be poor again for a second game in a row. Your boys should be on a high after such an epic comeback. There’s no better game to watch that going two down early on, but coming back to win 3-2 at the death. For this game, I suspect whoever scores first will claim the points.

Nice post. In my opinion the playoff semi final was the most raucous home atmosphere I have encountered anywhere, and if we can actually get your lot to shut up I'll be delighted. It's all set to be a cracking game played in a cracking atmosphere, cannot wait.

SpaceRam

Dec 8, 2015
Welcome [MENTION=33721]SpaceRam[/MENTION]

Would you take a 0-0 draw?

Thanks. No I wouldn't, purely because we're 4 points behind and at home. There is no evidence that you're going to fall away, so if we're truly going for automatics then this is a game where we have to go for the win.

I'm not suggesting for a moment it will be easy, but at least we've won the last five at home and will have a big crowd roaring us on, so there's a level of confidence, tempered by your amazing unbeaten record.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Hey, the good people of North Stand Chat. Sorry for the long intro post.

I first visited you lovely ground and forum for the playoff game. Some on here are understandably surprised at the thought of there being many thousands of DCFC flags out for this encounter. That comes from the (Zamora) playoff final. We all know QPR has rubbish fans, but the club gave every one who could be bothered to go to Wembley on the day a free flag and it actually looked damn impressive.

We’re both forward-thinking clubs and ours is always listening to fans and looking for ways to improve atmosphere. Unfortunately for you that means away fans are no longer behind the goal in the South Stand, but instead relegated to the adjacent corner. The South Stand is now a designated singing stand. And this year some supporters formed the 1884 Group to try to improve atmosphere before and during games. One of their initiatives was to raise money to buy a lot of flags, inspired by the playoff final. This worked well and our lovely new wealthy local owner liked what they achieved so much that he’s agreed to take on the funding of the Group. Those of you coming will be impressed by the results.

Meanwhile, it should be a brilliant game. Like you I laugh at the strange comments that “you’ve not played anyone decent yet”. It’s halfway through the campaign FFS! Unbeaten is incredible at this stage and four points clear of (us in) third place you deserve to be favourites for promotion. If this wasn’t such a weird year then our records would mean we were both miles clear at the top, but we all know there are five teams in the mix and it will be heartbreak for three.

Our confidence stems from having a dreadful start to the campaign (no win in the first five games) yet we have been able to catch the group. However, we actually caught the group a few games ago and now find ourselves four points adrift. Any of you who came to that playoff second leg and what was an exhilarating win for us (though I acknowledge it could have been different had Hendrick been sent off for a clumsy challenge), will see a very different Derby at the weekend.

Free-flowing attacking verve has been replaced by professional pragmatism. We still keep the ball and play attractively, but the bottom line is controlling the overall game and not conceding goals. We’ve got better and better at this as the season has progressed, so now have the best defensive record in the league. We’ve only conceded one goal in the last six games and, like most goals we’ve conceded this season, that was a deflected shot from outside the box.

We were poor on Sunday and are very unlikely to be poor again for a second game in a row. Your boys should be on a high after such an epic comeback. There’s no better game to watch that going two down early on, but coming back to win 3-2 at the death. For this game, I suspect whoever scores first will claim the points.

Very similar to us then.

Good post, btw.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Thanks. No I wouldn't, purely because we're 4 points behind and at home. There is no evidence that you're going to fall away, so if we're truly going for automatics then this is a game where we have to go for the win.

I'm not suggesting for a moment it will be easy, but at least we've won the last five at home and will have a big crowd roaring us on, so there's a level of confidence, tempered by your amazing unbeaten record.

Quite right. We have only failed to score 3 times this year.

It should be an intriguing game. Both sides have had key injuries so it's not like either has been fortunate on that score. Derby have come through that due to your strong squad. We are battling through it (Bong, Lualua, Baldock, Rosenior, Crofts all currently out) through a remarkable team spirit. We have Derby, QPR and Middlesbrough in a week so will really know if the dream is on by a week Saturday.

Was a good spirit between the fans at the playoff games, sure that will continue Saturday.

PG

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Could the price of rent etc. in Brighton be a factor?

Say four years ago it was about £700/month for a one bed flat in Brighton. Now you're looking at £850+. That difference is roughly what I would've spent on away games.

I should add that it doesn't apply directly to me as my main excuse for not going to NEARLY as many away games as I used to is having other priorities (family).,

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
It's too early in the season to be called a 'big' game....it's not a 6 pointer as it would be if the game and current league positions were moved to mid March or early April...if it was we would sell any amount of tickets provided by Derby...12-1400 this weekend in my view.
So when Arsenal play Man City in December it's not a big game? Nice logic

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Not sure about that, sounds very palacey to me! Also don't think sticking away fans in the corner and shutting them up helps atmosphere, quite the opposite in fact.

Thanks for the post though, sounds like we're in for a 0-0 draw on Saturday.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Not sure about that, sounds very palacey to me! Also don't think sticking away fans in the corner and shutting them up helps atmosphere, quite the opposite in fact.

Thanks for the post though, sounds like we're in for a 0-0 draw on Saturday.

I'm sure we were in the corner 2 years ago at the playoffs? Easier to get everyone singing IMHO because you can see everyone.

PG

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For this game, I suspect whoever scores first will claim the points.
I have to agree with this. Or more specifically, if we are going to win the game, I think we'll need to score early. I strongly suspect we will close ranks and take whatever we can get from around the 70 minute mark. That seemed to be what happened at Burnley.

I do also think that Derby will be surprised by how we take the game to them in the opening half an hour. We might not run the game because Derby will be too good for that, but this side isn't the sort to park the bus from the outset. We rarely find ourselves behind in the closing stages (Charlton was an exception) but do occasionally find ourselves being pegged back late on from winning positions.

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
Well, well, I look forward to listening all you Derby fans cheering Bobby Zamora then if that's the case, especially if he scores a very late winner on Saturday afternoon. I'd like to say that we Brighton fans will do the same for Chris Martin Lol
WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH

Clearly, our fans aren't going to cheer any goals you score, but I won't be at all surprised if they cheer Zamora rather than boo him, simply as 'banter'. And I'll say it again - Derby fans don't 'absolutely hate' him.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
away fans are no longer behind the goal in the South Stand, but instead relegated to the adjacent corner.

Welcome!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that play-off season we in the right hand corner for the play-off game but in the left hand corner for the league game. Now, I was (un)reasonably smashed on both occasions so it is entirely possible I've imagined the old switcheroo.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Lots of sensible, well written posts from Derby fans on this thread. The Palace GIMPS who post on here could learn a thing or two from them.

Although probably not as Derby County is a proper football club and Crystal Palace is a winky wanky chav suburb court jester dump of a modern football franchise with zero class.

#GIMPS

Jan 30, 2008
The weather outlook for Saturday looks potentially wet, and cool. For us soft southerners, it'll probably feel cold at about 8C. There's an outside chance of it being colder than this, as there will be a steep temp gradient from Scotland to S England, and it depends on where the divide sits (the cold air is currently forecast to be over Scotland and Northern England, where they may get snow).
what a shandy drinker :nono:
regards
DR

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Lots of sensible, well written posts from Derby fans on this thread. The Palace GIMPS who post on here could learn a thing or two from them.

Although probably not as Derby County is a proper football club and Crystal Palace is a winky wanky chav suburb court jester dump of a modern football franchise with zero class.

#GIMPS

Agreed, without sounding too sickly Derby are a proper football club with great passionate support. Nice ground too. Nothing to dislike about them really, our tonking in the play offs maybe, but they should be in the top league, one request, can we go up with them please. Will be a bench mark to see how far we have improved since that one sided play off. Should be fun.

theboybilly

Welcome!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that play-off season we in the right hand corner for the play-off game but in the left hand corner for the league game. Now, I was (un)reasonably smashed on both occasions so it is entirely possible I've imagined the old switcheroo.

No you haven't imagined it. We were indeed on the other side of the South Stand for out 1-0 defeat. It was a poor game and Albion had only 2 real efforts on goal...both from Keith Andrews.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
should be taking at least 1500! think we took roughly 1300 2 seasons ago when we were floating around the play off's.

And the rest, excellent excuse to escape the xmas shopping! Anything under 2000 is poor we expect the team to raise their game for the big matches we should do the same.

Feb 14, 2010
And the rest, excellent excuse to escape the xmas shopping! Anything under 2000 is poor we expect the team to raise their game for the big matches we should do the same.

Took 3500 plus to Chesterfield the last time Zamora played for us. Thats why I love the Albion, Chesterfield away is much more interesting than the like of Derby or Forest. Brighton have week in week out far bigger journeys than anyone else. Away support is quality when that is factored in but most dont have the brains to think of it because the press dont. How often do we hear "Some northern club have taken 2500 to some midlands club. Its taken them all about 45 minutes / 1 hour on the motorway. About the same journey time that our fans from Hastings take to get to home games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports