Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Derby - Away Support

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Completely wrong about uni students. Current trend is for undergraduates to study closer to home than ever before and to be more likely than ever before to return home, or close to, upon graduation./QUOTE]

In the short term (last 5 years) that is true. But in the long-term (which is what affects where people live across the whole population, in this regard) the dominant factor is the huge increase in student numbers. In 1990 there were 77,000 first degree graduates: by 2011 it was 351,000.

PG
The point logically holds true for the whole period during which the main increase in student numbers has happened. These "new" students study closer to home and are less likely to put down roots hundreds of miles away.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The point logically holds true for the whole period during which the main increase in student numbers has happened. These "new" students study closer to home and are less likely to put down roots hundreds of miles away.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the volume effect (rather than the proportionate effect) will dominate in terms of the growth in the absolute number of people who live in cities but didn't grow up there.

Brighton may not be typical, but there has been huge growth in the numbers living here who didn't grow up here compared with a generation ago. My professional experience of cities like Leeds is similar. I agree it may not hold for Middlesbrough!

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here