Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Derby - Away Support

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I know nothing about what the younger age groups get up to in Derby these days, but if you like a pub crawl, good ale and a 1st class curry at the end of the evening, you can have a very good night in Derby. The pubs I'd advise you not to miss include The Exeter, The Brewery Tap, The Silk Mill, The Dolphin, The Furnace and The Flower Pots (who usually have live music on) which are all located within a quarter mile radius of the Cathedral. Further afield there's also The Peacock, The Bell & Castle, The Old Spa, The Last Post & Chester Green Ale House micropubs, Mr Grundy's microbrewery, The Greyhound, The Golden Eagle, the Falstaff and of course The Brunswick and Alexander near the station.

Being over 50 I no nothing about the younger ones now either but and very big but - curry house suggestions ?

theboybilly

Being over 50 I no nothing about the younger ones now either but and very big but - curry house suggestions ?

I've tried the two on Midland Road (turn left after crossing the bus stands outside Derby station. In my opinion the first one you reach, the Viceroy, is the better of the two but a shade more expensive. In future I will always pick that one over the Shalimar. You of course may think differently as I'm not all that adventurous with Indian cuisine - I know what I like.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not convinced. Apart from local games and cup/play offs I can't remember us taking more than 2000 anywhere, which when you think we're getting 20000+ at home is disappointing. Especially now we're top of the league.

Our away support when we were at Withdean was class, relatively big numbers given the amount of supporters back then, lots of songs and lots of noise even if we're losing.

Now it's just a quiet block made up of drunks, supporters club, northerners, kids and a few people who like driving the M1 more than most. That's not a criticism of those groups, but it's a crying shame when you compare to most teams knocking around the top of the Championship.

What an odd post. So, you're moaning about not enough supporters going to away games and then you're slagging off the ones that do by putting them in to those weird groups.

I'm proud to be in one of the weird groups and I will be there on Saturday.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It's not a long way, though, is it? Not on a Saturday, anyway. I admit it's about the limit for a midweek game for me (done Forest, Derby, Chesterfield all in that vicinity for midweek).

It is.

It's just over a week before Christmas, a 400 mile round trip, £30+ a ticket, and lot's of people have other commitments, or a little less money at this time of the year.

Other clubs may well take 4000, but then again i'd rather sit with 1400 Brighton fans, than be lumped with 4000 halfwits in Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday shirts.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I know it's big headed to think I am in any way responsible but, every year, I put on a Twenty quid bet that Albion will go up as champions....except this year. This year we will go up because I have been working most weekends so can't get to the match and didn't place my customary bet.

We will, therefore, beat Derby home and away and be promoted automatically with a ten point advantage over Derby in second.

You can count on victory without me putting the kiss of death on us.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I'm proud to be in one of the weird groups and I will be there on Saturday.

I didn't use the word 'weird', I just generalised our away support.

I stand by what I said, a club with our fanbase and current league position should be selling out this huge game, but we'll only take about 1200 probably.

Appreciate I'll have egg on my face if it turns out we've sold more than 3000!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
With reference to Roger Harris's and Tim Carder's book Seagulls: The Story of Brighton and Hove Albion, just reminding myself of the League Cup tie against Derby in 76/77.

There was so much interest in the original home game that the Albion sold tickets on the turnstiles of a reserve game v Charlton, the crowd for which was 17,554. The game was a 33,500 sellout and I remember Derby fans arriving just before ko on the chicken run (this was pre-segregation) to find it absolutely rammed (sic) and wandering the aisles trying to glimpse a view. The huge roar told them Peter Ward had scored after 37 seconds, following a 1 on 1 save by Grummitt from Charlie George.

The away support for the Monday night replay (just 2 days after beating Swindon 4-0 at the Goldstone) is not recorded but "3 charter trains, a plane and numerous coaches" are cited. As the trains alone held 700 each, I suspect there was a minimum 3,000 Albion in the 25,880 at the Baseball ground. A good number had travelled to Reading on the Wednesday previous to see us win 3-2 and to Northampton the Saturday before that to see a 2-0 win. Busy and expensive times for fans of a rampaging Mullery team that went on to finish 2nd in Div 3 (2 points above another promoted club, Cr****l P****e). Peter Ward won Div 3 Player of the Season for his 36 goals, 32 in the League.

PG
I was on the first special train from Brighton and the away terraces were heaving. I seem to recall that the 3rd train did not make it to Derby after breaking down, or was that another game? Edit - just read it could have been 4 trains

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I was on the first special train from Brighton and the away terraces were heaving. I seem to recall that the 3rd train did not make it to Derby after breaking down, or was that another game?

That was the Forest game 2 years later- 2 trains didn't make it.

PG

Jan 30, 2008
So we managed over 3000 back then on a Monday night with worse road and rail infrastructure but will struggle to take 2000 on a saturday afternoon. It's not as if we've been overrun with away games either, in the five weeks we've had Shef Wed and Burnley which we probably took less than a thousand to in total.
the structure of our support changed years ago , remember the introduction of the AMS, its a fair assumption that our support consists of beer monsters ,costa luv bus crew and the nerd alerts ................oh well
regards
DR

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
They are worried. Derby fans absolutely hate Bobby Zamora after what he did to them at Wembley in the last minute of the Play Off final a few years ago after they'd totally dominated the game with QPR.
How much I would love him to do the same again at the end of the game on Saturday. A Derby fan I know says their desperate to beat us. I don't think they like the fact that we are top & have been virtually all the time this season having spent very little in comparison to the £20 million they've spent.
For all their expensive players having watch them a lot this season their certainly not the overall team unit that we've been this season. It's a massive game in the context of the league really, as will our home game be with Boro in a few weeks time.

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013

If you're down in the Station area (Midland Road) I'd say the Viceroy or Anokhi. If you're in the city centre, I'd say the Spice Lounge or the Moghul.

On a quality v price comparison basis, I opt for the Moghul every time (Green Lane).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you're down in the Station area (Midland Road) I'd say the Viceroy or Anokhi. If you're in the city centre, I'd say the Spice Lounge or the Moghul.

On a quality v price comparison basis, I opt for the Moghul every time (Green Lane).

More than likely station area so thanks for advice

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

If Saturday's game was at the AMEX how many do you think you'd bring ???

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
They are worried. Derby fans absolutely hate Bobby Zamora after what he did to them at Wembley in the last minute of the Play Off final a few years ago after they'd totally dominated the game with QPR.
How much I would love him to do the same again at the end of the game on Saturday. A Derby fan I know says their desperate to beat us. I don't think they like the fact that we are top & have been virtually all the time this season having spent very little in comparison to the £20 million they've spent.
For all their expensive players having watch them a lot this season their certainly not the overall team unit that we've been this season. It's a massive game in the context of the league really, as will our home game be with Boro in a few weeks time.
What a load of nonsense. Our fans regularly chant Bobby Zamora to counter the inevitable tedious shite that everyone from Forest to MK Dons throw at us. I guarantee that the biggest cheer he'll get on Saturday will be from our supporters. This is a big game of course, but no Derby fans hate Brighton, I can assure you of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here