Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
There's a phone-in about Leeds fans on Talk Sport right now. Sheffield United fans have been told "How Lucky" they were to stay up :laugh:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Actually the biggest clubs do tolerate opposing fans, Liverpool and Man U both have websites which do, and some of the smaller clubs in lower divisions are fairly welcoming, but you are right it is a rarity. I find it depressing frankly.

Football is a wonderful game, and we all love it, but the dislike and contempt expressed towards opposing fans online is a sad manifestation of a toxic part of its culture. (It is even worse at the games themselves of course). There is good natured banter, but football websites go beyond that anc cross a line.

Or maybe it is the internet and the fact we aren't face to face but behind keyboards? It is not as though supporters of one's own club are always civilised to each other!

But I do find the fact that supporters of both clubs get SO aerated about Ben White (in this instance) beyond absurd. And websites such as this (no offence to you intended, you are better than many) are therefore not pleasurable places to spend time in. But then I feel the same about WACCOE and Squareball.

Not sure we are getting aerated about Ben White. We are able to comprehend that Ben White is a BHAFC player, with a contract with BHAFC and if BHAFC should decide to sell him then who he is sold to, and for how much, is for our owner to decide.

We also understand the purpose and reason for loaning out young players to enable them to develop their game.

We aren't aerated at all because we don't have time. We are too busy pointing and laughing at the ignorance and sheer stupidity of your fellow LUFC supporters.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why didn't you blood him last season, then? Will he even get regular starts this season?

Because he's been behind Lewis Dunk (who is ****ing brilliant, but you probably know that) and Adam Webster (stunning potential, starting to show it second half of the season).

Nothing more sinister than that. White might go on to be as good as them, or even one day surpass them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There's a phone-in about Leeds fans on Talk Sport right now. Sheffield United fans have been told "How Lucky" they were to stay up :laugh:

It seems to be a daily occurrence on one station or another!

Frank Dux

Jul 24, 2003
Reigate
Also, pretty sure i read on "The Athletic" : Leeds are obligated to buy some player for around £20m but trying to get out of it. Also, I could be wrong here, but I imagine the Prem League standards for grounds (floodlights, press rooms etc) may cost a few bob. Think we had to pay £5m for floodlights etc for 4k TV and we were only a few years in from Amex being built.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, I can see that.

This is a pretty good website by the (admittedly) low standards of football fan forums, and it has some interesting posters who know the game very well and are insightful.

But like all of them it isn't a place that can accept forcefully expressed disagreement from the fans of rival clubs, so I will leave you to argue amongst yourselves.

We can accept it - we have pretty thick skins here. But if people see a view that they feel is unsubstantiated bollocks, they should be able to debate it. As should you. Shame if you flounce off, hope you stick around.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Also, pretty sure i read on "The Athletic" : Leeds are obligated to buy some player for around £20m but trying to get out of it. Also, I could be wrong here, but I imagine the Prem League standards for grounds (floodlights, press rooms etc) may cost a few bob. Think we had to pay £5m for floodlights etc for 4k TV and we were only a few years in from Amex being built.

Jean-Kevin Augustin

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Why didn't you blood him last season, then? Will he even get regular starts this season?

If he is good enough he is old enough.

That is the problem with all you big shot Premier League Clubs, with your limitless money and huge squads. You hog all the talent and would rather have a player wasting away on the bench than joining a rival.

It is anti competitive and the reason the Premiership is such a boring League to watch! :D

Ben White SHOULD have been blooded in 2018-19, but our then manager Chris Hughton (who overall did a fantastic job for the club) unfortunately didn't trust playing Albion's academy products. Having said that, he would have started in the Carabao Cup second round tie at home to Southampton at the end of August 2018 but he picked up an inopportune injury the week before, playing for the U-23s, so Ben Barclay started instead. White then joined Peterborough on loan at the start of January 2019.

Thankfully our current manager Graham Potter DOES have faith in our youngsters and fully recognised Ben White's potential (prior to this latest campaign - he wanted to sign him when he was Swansea manager).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m getting rather bored now of winding Leeds fans up, however, just a couple of observations.
They do appear to be a big club- - - - in Leeds.
Like a lot of one club towns and cities, the majority of the football supporting public do support them, but, that’s the same in Newcastle, Sunderland, Portsmouth, and even small places, Burnley, Ipswich, Norwich. This then appears to their local support that they are far more popular country wide than they really are. I know a couple of Leeds fans down here, one is a ‘heritage’ fan, his Dads from Leeds, the other, who actually goes a few times a season, did it to upset his brother who is an armchair Manchester Unitied fan. I know far more supporters, mainly , but not exclusively, armchair fans of the traditional ( now) big 6. Albion, hopefully, will achieve the local support that the other one team cities have, although our rather unique recent history may have had a effect on this.

I also feel Leeds history has led to their fans feeling a bit paranoid, and have circled the wagons, figuratively speaking . Being from the industrial North, there is a lot of football clubs within a very small area, nearly every medium size town , and bigger has a football league club. This has led to each club having a far larger amount of local rivalries, again different from our own experience where our nearest rivals are our only serious opposition.

I , personally, would put Leeds in the bottom end of the second division of the ‘ Big Club ‘ League alongside clubs likes Sunderland, above Portsmouth , but below Newcastle and Forest. Us, I think ,are probably top 3 of the third division with Norwich, and Charlton, but, if things continue the way they are, we might scrape into the second division soon.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Actually the biggest clubs do tolerate opposing fans, Liverpool and Man U both have websites which do, and some of the smaller clubs in lower divisions are fairly welcoming, but you are right it is a rarity. I find it depressing frankly.

Football is a wonderful game, and we all love it, but the dislike and contempt expressed towards opposing fans online is a sad manifestation of a toxic part of its culture. (It is even worse at the games themselves of course). There is good natured banter, but football websites go beyond that anc cross a line.

Or maybe it is the internet and the fact we aren't face to face but behind keyboards? It is not as though supporters of one's own club are always civilised to each other!

But I do find the fact that supporters of both clubs get SO aerated about Ben White (in this instance) beyond absurd. And websites such as this (no offence to you intended, you are better than many) are therefore not pleasurable places to spend time in. But then I feel the same about WACCOE and Squareball.

It's nice having you join the debate from the other side. But you keep letting yourself down by suggesting any Brighton fans are aerated, irritated, upset, angry etc. by the behaviour of Leeds fans and others online. As I and many others have said, we really aren't. We are laughing at them, the threads about them, the news items about them and everything else Leeds/Ben White related. You may get it, but they actually don't. It's fun. Don't keep trying to make any more of that aspect of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's nice having you join the debate from the other side. But you keep letting yourself down by suggesting any Brighton fans are aerated, irritated, upset, angry etc. by the behaviour of Leeds fans and others online. As I and many others have said, we really aren't. We are laughing at them, the threads about them, the news items about them and everything else Leeds/Ben White related. You may get it, but they actually don't. It's fun. Don't keep trying to make any more of that aspect of it.

Absolutely this - couldn't be less aerated (good word) if I tried.

Lightly amused is probably the best term for it, it's genuinely enjoyable watching Leeds fans heads' explode at the thought of being little ol' Brighton's feeder club.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
To be honest, I think things will be fine up until that manager bloke of theirs (?) pitches up here as GPot's number 2.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I don't disagree with much of that, although saying he would have done equally well at Derby is counter factual.

What we do know is that he has developed to his full potential under Bielsa, and of course that was always the intention. It was interesting that Potter said that he trusted Bielsa to play him out of position, it indicates both that he was being closely monitored whilst under loan, but also the high regard in which your manager hold ours.

Bielsa makes average players good and good players great through world class coaching. It is what he has done for clubs and two national sides throughout a long career. and I don't really get why this should be even under discussion.

But then this is a fans forum for talking bo11ocks I suppose...

**** me, for someone who glides across the keyboard like a latter-day Wittgenstein, you are a bit of a ninny. Hypothesising that he might have done equally well at Derby isn't "counter-factual", but rather, in your own words: “It is a hypothetical question. Which, as I am sure you know are used in many academic disciplines, the science, ethics, philosophy, to further knowledge and understanding. I just wonder why, rather than saying … you instead attack the validity of the question?”

“We", as you put it, can only raise a quizzical eyebrow at the flaccid assertion that "[White] has developed to his full potential under Bielsa". If Bielsa has already developed him to his full potential then we really are wasting our time on this subject. However, as we see it, his time at Leeds is just one chapter in a story that started long ago and will continue to be written for a long time to come. Just one chapter, that's all. We simply hope that many successful chapters will be written down here on the South Coast where it all began.

Others on here and elsewhere have a rich vein of source material to mine for examples of Leeds' warped perspective, lack of insight and (probably) inflated idea of their prospects next season. The most frequent misconceptions which are making you a laughing stock on here revolve around the WACCOE weltanschauung. This discourse would have it that BHA operates a form of modern-day slavery, that only the genius of Bielsa could unlock White's God-given talent, that only Leeds, axiomatically a member of the Top Six (or should that be Seven?) could provide the stage for him to realise his potential. Taking each of these in turn:
1. You will not find a more nurturing club or one with more moral fibre than BHA
2. We will have to disagree on Bielsa’s messianic qualities. It would appear from the outside that his brilliance amounts to little more than being a stroppy PE instructor. I'll concede that makes him different but that’s all, just different.
3. Claiming Leeds as a Top 6 equivalent without any sense of irony betrays a stupefying lack of self-awareness. Or, as we here call it, arrogance.
4. The thing you need to cotton on to very quickly is the fact that BHA has recruited a significant coaching team of the very highest quality. Our edifice won’t crumble if one or two leave. LUFC on the other hand is looking very much like it has gone all-in on Bielsa. Perhaps he won’t leave this year or next but sooner or later he will. As Dorothy Parker once put it, all your eggs are in one ba5tard… if Bielsa goes, what next?​

We'd have to sit in a couple of wing chairs sipping scotch by the fireside discussing gegenpressing, libero, false 9s, catenaccio, enganche and all that other gumf to sort some of this out, particualrly the Bielsa cult. Most importantly though I'd love to bore the arse off you about confirmation bias and, with a bit of luck, you might just be able to cast the beam out of your own eye before seeking to pull the mote from NSC’s.

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
**** me, for someone who glides across the keyboard like a latter-day Wittgenstein, you are a bit of a ninny. Hypothesising that he might have done equally well at Derby isn't "counter-factual", but rather, in your own words: “It is a hypothetical question. Which, as I am sure you know are used in many academic disciplines, the science, ethics, philosophy, to further knowledge and understanding. I just wonder why, rather than saying … you instead attack the validity of the question?”

“We", as you put it, can only raise a quizzical eyebrow at the flaccid assertion that "[White] has developed to his full potential under Bielsa". If Bielsa has already developed him to his full potential then we really are wasting our time on this subject. However, as we see it, his time at Leeds is just one chapter in a story that started long ago and will continue to be written for a long time to come. Just one chapter, that's all. We simply hope that many successful chapters will be written down here on the South Coast where it all began.

Others on here and elsewhere have a rich vein of source material to mine for examples of Leeds' warped perspective, lack of insight and (probably) inflated idea of their prospects next season. The most frequent misconceptions which are making you a laughing stock on here revolve around the WACCOE weltanschauung. This discourse would have it that BHA operates a form of modern-day slavery, that only the genius of Bielsa could unlock White's God-given talent, that only Leeds, axiomatically a member of the Top Six (or should that be Seven?) could provide the stage for him to realise his potential. Taking each of these in turn:
1. You will not find a more nurturing club or one with more moral fibre than BHA
2. We will have to disagree on Bielsa’s messianic qualities. It would appear from the outside that his brilliance amounts to little more than being a stroppy PE instructor. I'll concede that makes him different but that’s all, just different.
3. Claiming Leeds as a Top 6 equivalent without any sense of irony betrays a stupefying lack of self-awareness. Or, as we here call it, arrogance.
4. The thing you need to cotton on to very quickly is the fact that BHA has recruited a significant coaching team of the very highest quality. Our edifice won’t crumble if one or two leave. LUFC on the other hand is looking very much like it has gone all-in on Bielsa. Perhaps he won’t leave this year or next but sooner or later he will. As Dorothy Parker once put it, all your eggs are in one ba5tard… if Bielsa goes, what next?​

We'd have to sit in a couple of wing chairs sipping scotch by the fireside discussing gegenpressing, libero, false 9s, catenaccio, enganche and all that other gumf to sort some of this out, particualrly the Bielsa cult. Most importantly though I'd love to bore the arse off you about confirmation bias and, with a bit of luck, you might just be able to cast the beam out of your own eye before seeking to pull the mote from NSC’s.

Brilliant.

Love this thread, hate Leeds.

Hope Bielsa goes and reality bites hard.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Top, top post :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

[/INDENT]

I may be a ninny, and I am certainly no Wittgenstein but I have to pick you up on one point...

In writing: "I have no doubt however that he'd be getting similar rave reviews if his and Clarke's loan deals had been reversed and he had gone to Derby instead" the poster I quoted was making a counter factual assertion not asking a hypothetical question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here