Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dele Alli

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Poor bloke got booed off the pitch yesterday when Besiktas subbed him in the cup against some third division team in Turkey. Besiktas were down 0-2 but won 4-2 in the end.

Bloke had a fantastic career up to the point where he was the victim of a knife robbery. Wonder what that did to him.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Poor bloke got booed off the pitch yesterday when Besiktas subbed him in the cup against some third division team in Turkey. Besiktas were down 0-2 but won 4-2 in the end.

Bloke had a fantastic career up to the point where he was the victim of a knife robbery. Wonder what that did to him.
His decline started before that horrific incident of 2020, but agree that certainly won’t help matters. Staggering to think he’s still only 26!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can’t say I have ever warmed to him. Things like flying his own hair dresser to the WC and making a documentary about it, or driving a blinged up Rolls Royce to your Everton debut turn me off players.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Can’t say I have ever warmed to him. Things like flying his own hair dresser to the WC and making a documentary about it, or driving a blinged up Rolls Royce to your Everton debut turn me off players.
He is part of a group of players including Lingard and Barkley (with Grealish soon to join) who have profoundly underachieved based on huge promise in their early 20’s. We’ve got a similar player in Connolly.

Once they’ve tasted the bling, football is their second favourite thing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Saved me posting, agree with all of the above.

Even when he was doing ‘well’, never seemed a team player or as good as the publicity suggested.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saved me posting, agree with all of the above.

Even when he was doing ‘well’, never seemed a team player or as good as the publicity suggested.
I remember reading some of the fall-out over the Rolls incident. The Toffee fans felt it wasn’t the most sensible thing given he was trying to resurrect his failing career but above all they said discretion is key in a city like Liverpool; driving around in a blinged up Rolls won’t warm you to anyone.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
His decline started before that horrific incident of 2020, but agree that certainly won’t help matters. Staggering to think he’s still only 26!
He was a " Must Have " 5 or 6 years back in Fantasy Football...every time he moved club I would pop him back in my squad In the hope he would bounce back to that form...sadly, its never happened.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Agree, but worth pointing out the hairdresser wasn't just for him but Trippier, Walker and others too. I remember at the time the bloke saying Walker had sorted his trip - stuck in my mind for some reason.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfortunately his upbringing might be a huge factor into how things have worked out.

Reading between the lines he clearly has some serious emotional issues from childhood, and unfortunately football once again has plucked someone from a deprived background, thrown millions at them and totally turned their life upside down, yet everyone expects the player in question to behave like Nigel Havers.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Agree, but worth pointing out the hairdresser wasn't just for him but Trippier, Walker and others too. I remember at the time the bloke saying Walker had sorted his trip - stuck in my mind for some reason.
Didn't this squad fly someone over from Brighton (City not BHA) to Qatar to cut their hair?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I understand we were reasonably close to signing him from MK before Spuds came in, would a couple of seasons in the Championship and then the PL been a better option for him? Who knows.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
……….yet everyone expects the player in question to behave like Nigel Havers.

What? Shagging around?

No need to bring Havers into this, he’s done enough damage.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I remember reading some of the fall-out over the Rolls incident. The Toffee fans felt it wasn’t the most sensible thing given he was trying to resurrect his failing career but above all they said discretion is key in a city like Liverpool; driving around in a blinged up Rolls won’t warm you to anyone.
Why is driving a rolls Royce worse than driving any of the other over priced, environment destroying cars that other footballers drive?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I understand we were reasonably close to signing him from MK before Spuds came in, would a couple of seasons in the Championship and then the PL been a better option for him? Who knows.

He got double figures in his first Premier League season and then followed that up with 18 next year.

So I’d hazard a guess at the fact that no, a couple of seasons in the Championship wouldn’t have been better for him.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He got double figures in his first Premier League season and then followed that up with 18 next year.

So I’d hazard a guess at the fact that no, a couple of seasons in the Championship wouldn’t have been better for him.
And now he’s burnt out or fell out of love with the game, I was thinking more long term than short term gains tbh.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
He is part of a group of players including Lingard and Barkley (with Grealish soon to join) who have profoundly underachieved based on huge promise in their early 20’s. We’ve got a similar player in Connolly.

Once they’ve tasted the bling, football is their second favourite thing.
Not sure Grealish will end up in that category, he's made a good start for City this season and looked good in the WC. Agree with the rest however, would also say Jack Wileshire was also another who had too much, too soon, too young. Unless something drastic happens Dele Ali is finished at 26, what an earth do you do with the rest of your life.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not sure Grealish will end up in that category, he's made a good start for City this season and looked good in the WC. Agree with the rest however, would also say Jack Wileshire was also another who had too much, too soon, too young. Unless something drastic happens Dele Ali is finished at 26, what an earth do you do with the rest of your life.
Train to be a plumber, and do something useful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here