Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dele Alli

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I sympathise with Dele's personal issues, however, there is a theme with young English players who are overhyped at a young age and never go on to fulfill their promise. Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright Phillips, Ross Barkley, Ali. I think we build them up too much at too young an age. Players used to be considered young even at 24, but these days they are thrown in the team as teenagers when they have the ability but are still developing

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I sympathise with Dele's personal issues, however, there is a theme with young English players who are overhyped at a young age and never go on to fulfill their promise. Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright Phillips, Ross Barkley, Ali. I think we build them up too much at too young an age. Players used to be considered young even at 24, but these days they are thrown in the team as teenagers when they have the ability but are still developing
This has been happening for a pretty long time. Michael Owen, Robbie Folwer, Class of 92 etc

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't think you can count Owen and Fowler as under-achievers! Shorter careers than they would have liked through injury maybe, but both reached stellar heights as goal-scorers.
True, I more meant that they were hyped at a young age.

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I don't think you can count Owen and Fowler as under-achievers! Shorter careers than they would have liked through injury maybe, but both reached stellar heights as goal-scorers.
Fowler 163 prem goals in 379 appearances. Mo Salah 153 goals 251 appearances. Hmm

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think Badfish was alluring to the fact that kids have always been thrown in if they are good enough and most are ok with early success. Cripes…. We do it enough but let’s hope they’re monitored by people who care though for their welfare.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fowler 163 prem goals in 379 appearances. Mo Salah 153 goals 251 appearances. Hmm
163 in 379 is pretty stellar. Just because somebody has an even better scoring record doesn't diminish the achievement. Dixie Dean had a higher scoring rate, so did Pele and Jock McGrory..............so what.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Agree. Robbie Fowler was one of the greatest English strikers of all time. Sadly we didn’t get to see it.

IMG_4482.png

Guess when he did his ACL…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here