[Football] Dear Chelsea...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
A sad mind, loves to hate. He messed up.
I would think the overload of players, egos were probably overspilling out of the dressing room door, it must have been difficult to deal with, he would have learned tons from this.
Lets hope people can let go now, at the end of the day he never went to Palace.
No yet

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Can't say I have any vitriol over Potter, Chelsea on the other hand can do one.

Putting RDZ to the side for a moment.

Chelsea have spent ONLY £20M to rip the core out of a well-run, progressive football club, only to bin it off 7 months later. There was every chance Brighton could have plummeted down the table, swiped off the board of play by an opposition rival (for this season) for £20M.

If it had worked, it would have been good business.

£20M to sabotage a rival club's position in the Premier League. When considering the amount of money involved in the PL, that sounds cheap.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
So I say
Thank you for the moolah you spunked on Potter,
Back room staff we've since forgotten,
Bruno, Cucurella - I ask in all honesty
Where would we be
Without your Tony Bloom jealousy?
So I say
Thank you for the upgrade -
Roberto De Zerbi!

Yours laughing like drains,
Brighton
x
I have a sneaking suspicion Chelsea and Spurs waiting to see if we get Europe before coming for RDZ hence both waiting for summer ... I hope this not to be the case but I'm sure Bloom has it covered

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Be careful what you wish for. Potter is a brilliant coach and given time, given his own squad, will be successful again playing lovely football. I would hate that to be at Palace.
I don't believe that he is a brilliant coach.......

What has he done in football, honestly?

Ostersunds was funded by a dodgy geezer - Potter was given shed loads of money in a crap league.

Swansea - failed to make the pay offs

Albion - built on Chris Hughton keeping us up for two years and also kept us up for two years. Played sometimes great, and sometimes frustrating football. Improved the team to make the top ten, once, with a far better squad than Hughton had.

Failed miserably at Chelsea, miserably, despite having probably the most expensive squad ever assembled.

He doesn't have a great record of winning things, which is what a brilliant coach needs on his CV

Only my opinion, like.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I have a sneaking suspicion Chelsea and Spurs waiting to see if we get Europe before coming for RDZ hence both waiting for summer ... I hope this not to be the case but I'm sure Bloom has it covered
In Bloom we trust.

No doubt he's already had a conversation with RDZ about what the club's approach and expectations would be should this happen, and succession planning is in place.

It would just be nice if it didn't.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
No hate from me.

It must be terrible for him personally, he has absolutely failed, in a job he believed he would flourish in.
That's going to be devastating for him.

I feel for him, but equally I find it very funny too.
Odd emotions for sure, but that's how it is.
To be fair I don't think the OP was really having a pop at Potter. I have always thought he was made an offer that no sane man could possibly turn down. I genuinely never thought it would work. Chelsea are a poisonous shitty club and I support anyone who posts negativity towards them. Think it would be funny if they took on the guy who was sacked by Bayern, who then upgraded to........ Tuchel 😀

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Can't say I have any vitriol over Potter, Chelsea on the other hand can do one.

Putting RDZ to the side for a moment.

Chelsea have spent ONLY £20M to rip the core out of a well-run, progressive football club, only to bin it off 7 months later. There was every chance Brighton could have plummeted down the table, swiped off the board of play by an opposition rival (for this season) for £20M.

If it had worked, it would have been good business.

£20M to sabotage a rival club's position in the Premier League. When considering the amount of money involved in the PL, that sounds cheap.
I think that's why there is still some bad feeling flying around. We're rightly proud that our club is run properly (now) and has grown in the right way, exactly the opposite of what we see in Chelsea. And to us, the way they acted did feel like sabotage, an attack on the club, at least at the time.

It didn't work because a) Brighton, Bloom, patience, planning, resilience etc and b) Boehly, Chelsea, impatience, entitlement, toxic fanbase etc.

The fact it failed just means we* are having a laugh about it, rather than a cry, before we then move on, as we always do.

(*mostly)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I don't believe that he is a brilliant coach.......

What has he done in football, honestly?

Ostersunds was funded by a dodgy geezer - Potter was given shed loads of money in a crap league.

Swansea - failed to make the pay offs

Albion - built on Chris Hughton keeping us up for two years and also kept us up for two years. Played sometimes great, and sometimes frustrating football. Improved the team to make the top ten, once, with a far better squad than Hughton had.

Failed miserably at Chelsea, miserably, despite having probably the most expensive squad ever assembled.

He doesn't have a great record of winning things, which is what a brilliant coach needs on his CV

Only my opinion, like.
Fair enough Nobby. I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. I see it that he took part-time Ostersunds into Europe; played some of the most attractive football in the league at Swansea after the team was gutted, had no money and was left with a team largely comprised of kids; transformed the way we played and led Brighton to their highest ever finish and was 4th when he left. Yes it didn't work at Chelsea but how many of those signings were his? Not many would be my guess and in time we'll know what really happened behind the scenes. We do know that Potter likes a small number of players to work with - the exact opposite of Chelsea.
Suspect he'll do very well at another club.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Young man"? Really?
😂

I'm no fan of Newcastle and their dirty money either, they just haven't used it to try and poach our people mid-season by doing things the wrong way (yet). When they do, and it backfires, and I find it funny, maybe I'll post a silly song about them too. You know, just for *laughs*

(shee)
Well quite. I appreciated the work that you put in. It scans and rhymes.

And to his credit, he's provided you with the first line of your next effort.

There's no need to feel down. ;)

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Fair enough Nobby. I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. I see it that he took part-time Ostersunds into Europe; played some of the most attractive football in the league at Swansea after the team was gutted, had no money and was left with a team largely comprised of kids; transformed the way we played and led Brighton to their highest ever finish and was 4th when he left. Yes it didn't work at Chelsea but how many of those signings were his? Not many would be my guess and in time we'll know what really happened behind the scenes. We do know that Potter likes a small number of players to work with - the exact opposite of Chelsea.
Football is all about opinions isn't it - I just never really took to the guy.

I honestly believe that anyone could have taken Ostersunds into Europe with the money they had. They were the Chelsea of Sweden.
And Swansea, had them playing great but didn't make the playoffs.

Time will tell how his career goes from here - he will be under less pressure in most other jobs he takes, that's for sure.
Maybe he will fancy Europe?

Whatever, he won't care what you and me think 😃

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well that's the whole shebang over and done with.
We came out of it far better than the snakes did.

Think we should give Bruno a few minutes of his chant on April 15th, to give him the send off he never got.

Bad idea?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
How many sensible Chelsea fans are asking questions about their clueless owner. One of the journos summed it up perfectly

"Why, really why, would anyone appoint Graham Potter and then make such vigorous attempts to give him the least Graham Potter-like working environment imaginable?"

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
How many sensible Chelsea fans are asking questions about their clueless owner. One of the journos summed it up perfectly

"Why, really why, would anyone appoint Graham Potter and then make such vigorous attempts to give him the least Graham Potter-like working environment imaginable?"
Exactly this.

Potter was sold a lie

All the narrative on joining was about the long term project, doing things differently, essentially offering Potter a white label Chelsea to build something with the added benefit of life changing money, a budget and time.

Unfortunately for him the fat oaf hasn’t delivered on anything other than the salary. He’s clearly bought players without any consultation with potter on occasion.

How was this ever going to work? Drilling the existing squad (which takes time itself) to new ideas and formations and dare I say an identity yet very five minutes a new mega star with an ego arrives only because another club showed an interest in buying them.

The oaf knows nothing about football and I’m certain a basic level of DD on the takeovers commitment to fund x amount into the squad Would have shown this to be the end game despite talk of the project from the outset.

Potter will take the heat and as he coach has to take a lion share of the blame however I find it hilarious none of their fanbase has joined the dots to identify the significant issue at the club

Potters been let down but then making snide comments about us as club, our fanbase and cringeworthy attempts to reasonate with the “f***ing champions league” fantastic fanbase leave me with little sympathy for the man.

We’ve been very lucky with RDZ but let’s not forget we were gutted as a club and the worse possible time and we could have a very different season as a result

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

He needs a genuinely patient owner.

Leicester, Brentford, how many others?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports