Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dead Man falls from sky in Clapham...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saw this on Twitter yesterday. Somebody in the Daily Mail office felt a key element of the headline was the inclusion of the house price where the poor bloke landed. As if somebody living in a £200k, help-to-buy new build in Reigate would find the sight of a frozen corpse plummeting into the flowerbeds any less distressing than a millionaire in Clapham :rolleyes:

D-a-PRuXYAAu62y.jpg:large

House prices, immigrant, Princess of Hearts - oh for a story on the weather.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
House prices, immigrant, Princess of Hearts - oh for a story on the weather.

"Magical pullout inside".

Imagine people collecting that sort of thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Much sympathy for the man who must have been desperate, as others on here have rightly pointed out - but what is wrong with using the word 'stowaway'? That, by definition, is exactly what he was.

Context. It belittles the magnitude of the event.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't know, it just sounds wrong on their short reports. Just coming across a tad flippant.

I really can't see why. What word or words would you suggest they use instead of stowaway to describe somebody who has... err .... stowed away?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I dunno, when I even think about anyone in landing gears of planes my mind instantly jumps to the Arnie film Commando.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I really can't see why. What word or words would you suggest they use instead of stowaway to describe somebody who has... err .... stowed away?

I don't know, but then I don't write reports and maybe it's my issue!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Raises questions about security, or lack of it, at Nairobi Airport.

I used to live in Nairobi. I once did not have my yellow fever certificate to go to S.Africa, another time my passport was out of date. Both times I got through with ahem a little monetary persuasion.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I dunno, when I even think about anyone in landing gears of planes my mind instantly jumps to the Arnie film Commando.

I don’t remember Arnie freezing to a block of ice and hurtling like a dirty-bomb meteor into a Clapham yard.

It would have been a lot better if he did.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely standard. Against their house rules, to mention a property in ANY context at all, without referencing its value.

Good grief - it would be like referring to a WOMAN, without alerting us to her HAIR COLOUR :nono:

"The society brunette, 32, ran her hand through her luxurious tresses and made her way to the bottom of the beautifully landscaped, substantial garden in her £2.3 million detached Edwardian property in the sought-after south west London enclave of Clapham, popular with monied overseas investors and royalty alike. Flaunting her enviable curves in a figure-hugging £899 caramel coloured strappy dress from Stella McCartney, teamed with matching fawn coloured 3" heels (£1299, Jimmy Choo) and a rare Thierry LaCroix handbag in cappucino with rose gold detail, the Benenden-educated beauty put on an eye-popping display as she pointed out the damaged slates.

'It's just terribly hard to believe this kind of thing could happen round here, rather than in, say, Brentford", she reflected. "Those slates were only laid down six weeks ago, and we had them hand made by an artisan stone-mason in mid Wales. The artificial turf will have to be relaid too now, as there seems to be some sort of crease in it. It's just so very sad- we're desperately hoping they still have the same colour stone in stock'.

The stowaway is thought to have originated from Kenya."

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

"The society brunette, 32, ran her hand through her luxurious tresses and made her way to the bottom of the beautifully landscaped, substantial garden in her £2.3 million detached Edwardian property in the sought-after south west London enclave of Clapham, popular with monied overseas investors and royalty alike. Flaunting her enviable curves in a figure-hugging £899 caramel coloured strappy dress from Stella McCartney, teamed with matching fawn coloured 3" heels (£1299, Jimmy Choo) and a rare Thierry LaCroix handbag in cappucino with rose gold detail, the Benenden-educated beauty put on an eye-popping display as she pointed out the damaged slates.

'It's just terribly hard to believe this kind of thing could happen round here, rather than in, say, Brentford", she reflected. "Those slates were only laid down six weeks ago, and we had them hand made by an artisan stone-mason in mid Wales. The artificial turf will have to be relaid too now, as there seems to be some sort of crease in it. It's just so very sad- we're desperately hoping they still have the same colour stone in stock'.

Fake news, the age of the male/female stone mason has been left out like a sore thumb.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

You’re wasted writing reports about such mundanities as crime.

You should get a job at the Daily Mail.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Obviously what happened to the stowaway is horrific but having a frozen corpse fall from the sky abd land a metre away from you and then splat all over you, your garden, your walls, and your fence has got to be so beyond traumatic it is ridiculous. How many hours of therapy will that take to get over??

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yet people who refuse to turn right when boarding a plane will happily sit in their ivory towers and pour scorn on those seriously less fortunate and their desperate attempts to come to the UK.

Elton John might contradict your pointless attempt to hijack the thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here