[Albion] De Zerbi quote

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We were never losing to Watford....they were terrible.
Think you're getting your seasons mixed up. 18/19 was when we scraped survival over Cardiff and had to rely on them not getting points at Palace. Huddersfield were terrible and finished bottom, but we only beat them 2-1 both times with Andone getting latish winners in both.

He did score against Watford on the opening day of the following season when it turns out that they were crap.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Yesterday did highlight the injury situation, not calling it a crisis yet.

For me Rdz got the team selection wrong, he gave us too few options to change the game by starting Julio. It wasn't the game to give him his first start despite the injuries.

We're going to need Undav in the run-in but it's clear to all now his ability is limited.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

For me Rdz got the team selection wrong, he gave us too few options to change the game by starting Julio. It wasn't the game to give him his first start despite the injuries.

We're going to need Undav in the run-in but it's clear to all now his ability is limited.
alternatively he looked to put the game to bed early, which we would have done had we had our shooting boots on.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

I’m not sure he had any option. Assuming Veltman wasn’t fit enough to start, then Gross had to play RB and from there the side pretty much picks itself. Who would have started ahead of Enciso from the bench?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I don't agree, I thought it was the best team we could have started with the options available and Enciso did well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My opinion's never really changed on this. If we get into Europe we will need a deeper squad and a better one. I'm pretty sure Bloom knows this only too well, as do Weir, PB and the recruitment guys. RDZ should too.
When we were in the Championshi, Barber stated we always had two budgets for each season….one for the Championship and another should we be promoted. I imagine it will be the same for the EPL and Europe.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Yep. Looking at the bench yesterday, there wasn't a single player who I thought could have come on to change the game if we needed more attacking options. When one of Ferguson or Welbeck is injured, Undav is not good enough for this level. It showed that we only made 2 subs.

I know we're a bit unlucky with a number of injuries currently - Sarmiento, Lamptey, Ferguson, Lallana would all have been great options. But if we want to be competing in Europe, we need more strength in depth.
And imagine how those unused players feel today? Just two subs made because they're not good enough, essentially.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not much point comparing us with Utd …their spending power is on a different planet….and look what difference it made in the end …one missed penalty.
However, maybe the perceived lack of (experienced?) squad depth will be the issue as we try closing out this season.
Next season and possible European football is another matter

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'll add my weight to those saying we're short of of attacking options. We don't have the squad to cope with the loss of Ferguson, Welbeck, Lallana and Sarmiento.

Having said that I look at a player like Van Hecke, and as a 4th choice centre back must have hoped to have broken through, but has barely had a kick as Dunky has largely managed to stay fit. It's hard to work out the right number of players you'll need. On the other hand, up front, at least 2 of the players I mentioned should be looked at as "so injury prone anything you get out of them should be considered a bonus"

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
And imagine how those unused players feel today? Just two subs made because they're not good enough, essentially.
In usual match circumstances yes but for yesterday he had to keep the penalty takers on & not sub on people who weren’t confident in taking one.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well, you're right. Though at least 3 of them are so inexperienced, they must know deep down they aren't ready for that occasion.

But I look at a player like Gilmour and think, he must surely know RDZ doesn't rate him and he'll have to look elsewhere for his chance

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Our squad is the strongest it's been in the Prem but there are still glaring deficiencies. Undav's first touch for a professional footballer at this level is totally unacceptable and it's clear he's not going to make it. Couple that with Welbeck who has always been injury prone and Ferguson (amazing potential but still very young) we are still desperately lacking in attacking options. Hopefully Welbeck and Ferguson's injuries aren't too long term but if they are, given our fixture schedule, I fear it could be a glum end to a season which had so much promise.
We have fought inside the top 8 for most of the season. At times our football has been incredible to watch.

I do hope that even if this season does fall away a bit, we pinch ourselves and realise it will still have been one of the most impressive in the club's history. There will be little reason to be glum when you take a step back and consider the season as a whole.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He is but I don't think Uncle Tone is going to break his recruitment model is he?

Just don't see us buying established stars.

Great experience virtual freebies like Welbz, Lallana & Veltman with young rough diamonds from left field.

Maybe TB will do something to keep RDZ on side, but then again, establish a precedent and it becomes the accepted norm....... I think the model stays the same, but we will need bigger squad depth if in Europe.
I don't think Bloom needs to break his recruitment model to keep RDZ happy, and it's not what he says in the press conference either. We just need to bring in some depth whether like you say it's free/cheap senior players like Lallana, Welbeck or Veltman, or if he spends a bit more but still within our budget like Cucurella/Estupinian, Mwepu etc.

I think we'll buy/sign several first team ready players this summer as well as the for the future players and I think that will keep RDZ perfectly happy.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I keep saying this and people keep forgetting it. We signed Lallana, Welbeck, Veltman, Gross and then the like of Mwepu (for a decent amount). You could chuck Trossard and Webster in there too. We do sign experienced players and I'm certain we will continue to do so. I don't think what RDZ is saying is particularly controversial. Had we had another Lallana or Welbeck to bring on yesterday that would've made a difference but I don't think he's asking for a complete change in transfer approach.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not good enough YET. For an FA Cup semi-final. Unless they're extraordinarily arrogant, they'll surely understand the manager's reasoning. It's a nice Roy of the Rovers story to think one would come on do something sensational but there was no logical reason to believe anyone on the bench could have more influence than the team that was already playing well.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Yep, as said above, we all know he’s right and Barber/Bloom/Weir will too. You only had to look at the two benches to see that.

They brought on 5 subs, all international players and 2 of which cost £125m combined. Half their outfield team had fresh legs in extra time and no drop in quality. We just brought on Veltman and Undav in the whole 120 minutes.
Thought he may have tries Ayari? Big gamble I suppose but so is penalties. Caicedo in particular was out on his feet at the end of normal time.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
De zerbi is just stating the obvious.

He owes us at least one more season. He knew the set up before he joined so can't say hes suprised.

But I can see it from his perspective. If we lose Mac and caciedo, even if we bring in 5/6 new players next season we will probably be below what we have this season. So his stock will fall.

This summer he could have his pick of some of the best managerial jobs in the world. Who knows when that chance will come for him again.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Maybe I reading in to it wrongly, but I think it's a bloke just inquiring about possible transfers during a summer transfer window. Maybe he wants a look at the loanees as well. If he does the italian thing and buggers off, then I trust Tony and Paul have the next messiah lined up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports