Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi quote

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It is apparent that if we make a European Place the squad needs extra quality or we will suffer like other smaller teams with the extra games.

All RDZ is stating is the obvious. We have been lucky this year with injuries to the core players has been limited. Big games though highlight the issue. We can't rely on the small crop of top players to keep getting us results, other need to be in the wings that can be game changers.

This summer will be a game changer for not so much in who goes but the advancement of the whole squad.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Yesterday, for perhaps the first time, it felt that we missed Trossard. Was Mitoma carrying a knock ,or did United find a way of containing him by not getting too close to him? We seemed very reluctant to try and play the ball over the top for him to chase.
I thought the United full backs dedfinitely held back, on both sides - and very effective it was. We did the same when Gross was right back - he rarely tried to engage with the winger. But there were lots of moments when the final pass just wasn't quite right (over or under hit)....just a few slightly better final balls, and we would have been in.

Oh well!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yesterday, for perhaps the first time, it felt that we missed Trossard. Was Mitoma carrying a knock ,or did United find a way of containing him by not getting too close to him? We seemed very reluctant to try and play the ball over the top for him to chase.
I disagree, the difference yesterday was we stopped even attempting to play him in. For instance I believe this is where Steele is preferred because he can ping a ball in a progressive way, Sanchez hit the ball towards a player but often at hip or head height that needs full control before moving it on. Colwell offers this as well whereas Webster doesn't have the vision or ability.

I, like many appreciate the reason of drawing in the press by standing on the ball at the back, the transition then needs to be precise and quick, it is very noticeable it's not the same with Sanchez and Webster in the team and we are more reliant on Dunk to do it. We mix it up far more with Steele and Colwell.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The substitution that needed to happen in extra time was to replace Undav, he cost us the game, or to be fairer not having an EPL quality striker on the pitch cost us the game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yep, as said above, we all know he’s right and Barber/Bloom/Weir will too. You only had to look at the two benches to see that.

They brought on 5 subs, all international players and 2 of which cost £125m combined. Half their outfield team had fresh legs in extra time and no drop in quality. We just brought on Veltman and Undav in the whole 120 minutes.

I think this is just the reality of the level we've reached. No matter what we spend, we're never going to compete with any of the 7 clubs above us in the table for resources, nor Chelsea below us. The system (bloated squads, European riches for the select few, stadia size) is massively weighted against us. We could spend an awful lot of cash trying to prove otherwise and, at best, be no better than we are now. The rational approach, I think, is to accept that the stated target of becoming an established top 10 club remains a massive achievement in itself which may bring the sporadic season in Europe. De Zerbi no doubt has bigger ambitions and we can all see why. That said, a top 10 Premier League club with an owner who's loyal, knowledgeable and consistent is a very rare thing. Hopefully he'll see the value in that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have only seen this from RDZ in one place, The Times, but it strikes a slightly concerning note. Nothing that isn’t obvious in some ways as we’d all love to see us build on what we’ve got, but a tiny hint of Gus and his glass ceiling too… I don’t think it was meant in such a self-serving way in this instance but have to hope that meeting goes well in June:

“Next year, when we finish this season, we have to speak with the club and I want to know their plan to understand if we can improve the squad or not because [we] arrived without a lot of important players,” he said. “We have to be stronger to fight to compete another year at this standard, this level of football, these performances and results.””
Doesn’t concern me…..he’s (as usual) just being honest. Bloom, Barber and Weir will already know this. Basically it’s a statement of the bleeding obvious.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I thought AWB had a very good game yesterday, he’s no slouch
This. Mitoma came up against a quick and good full-back, who was rarely left alone to face him. Interesting to see James Maddison tweet that AWB is the best bar none when one-on-one with a winger. I'll take that as a lot more insightful than the endless analysis we'll undoubtedly get from the self-appointed tactical experts that now abound in the media, who've never played or managed a single professional game. Hopefully, some wealthy clubs will take it as a sign that Mitoma could do with another year developing at the Albion before he's worth their not-so-hard-earned millions.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Its a lot better than their managers I heard on radio

"Ya Ya we were determined to win and I think we deserved the win......"

No you didn't you bald p*ick, you only did so as one of our players missed a penalty.

You're Man U, and yet you played most of the game in a defensive 2 banks of 4. You were out possessed and out passed and you didn't deserve the win even though you got it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You're Man U, and yet you played most of the game in a defensive 2 banks of 4. You were out possessed and out passed and you didn't deserve the win even though you got it.
really ? From 55mins to 70 we barely touched the ball. We were outplayed in chunks of the game. Stats around shots were pretty much equal etc

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think this is just the reality of the level we've reached. No matter what we spend, we're never going to compete with any of the 7 clubs above us in the table for resources, nor Chelsea below us. The system (bloated squads, European riches for the select few, stadia size) is massively weighted against us. We could spend an awful lot of cash trying to prove otherwise and, at best, be no better than we are now. The rational approach, I think, is to accept that the stated target of becoming an established top 10 club remains a massive achievement in itself which may bring the sporadic season in Europe. De Zerbi no doubt has bigger ambitions and we can all see why. That said, a top 10 Premier League club with an owner who's loyal, knowledgeable and consistent is a very rare thing. Hopefully he'll see the value in that.
I agree with what you’re saying and never want us to behave and spend like the ‘big 6’ but if we want to continue our progression, the next stage is to relatively strengthen our squad. I’m not expecting a bench of 9 overpaid internationals at all, but it would have been good to have a couple more experienced players to call on.

Even if Moder and Lallana were fit, not to mention the youngsters Ferguson and Sarmiento, we still lack a bit of depth to try and compete where we want and deserve to now.

It’s no criticism, we’re obviously run brilliantly but just think it’s our next step.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
TB didn’t get where he is by sticking his head in the sand, him and RDZ will have regular, honest open dialogue. Rule one of BHA club - consume less BHA online or print content, the less you read about us (interviews, debates, NSC etc.) the less neurotic you’ll be, it ain’t worth it, especially after something like yesterday. Whatever will be will be, regardless of whether you waste time fretting on it or not.
Absolutely spot on bud 👍🏻

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
RDZ should really save this type of comment to his one on ones with Barber but I don’t think RDZ is one to hold back, which may be his downfall. We have a model which has progressed us this far and I don’t see us running before we can walk. I have a lot of faith in TB and Barber from a progress perspective.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Yep. Looking at the bench yesterday, there wasn't a single player who I thought could have come on to change the game if we needed more attacking options. When one of Ferguson or Welbeck is injured, Undav is not good enough for this level. It showed that we only made 2 subs.

I know we're a bit unlucky with a number of injuries currently - Sarmiento, Lamptey, Ferguson, Lallana would all have been great options. But if we want to be competing in Europe, we need more strength in depth.
Even if we 'only' want to be regular top 10 we need more strength in depth

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
This. Mitoma came up against a quick and good full-back, who was rarely left alone to face him. Interesting to see James Maddison tweet that AWB is the best bar none when one-on-one with a winger. I'll take that as a lot more insightful than the endless analysis we'll undoubtedly get from the self-appointed tactical experts that now abound in the media, who've never played or managed a single professional game. Hopefully, some wealthy clubs will take it as a sign that Mitoma could do with another year developing at the Albion before he's worth their not-so-hard-earned millions.
I remember when AWB broke into the Palace side and Roy said something like, we were short of numbers so called him into first team training. Wilf couldn’t get past him so he had to come into the first team. If he could keep Wilf quiet as a kid then it is no surprise he gave Mitoma a hard time. Solly was equally subdued and Fernandez was on a mission to disrupt Caicedo. They worked their socks off to subdue us and I take that as a compliment.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Think he is more worried about losing Moises and Mac and not replacing them as that is a very strong engine room.
Maybe to keep him the purse strings might need to be loosened

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Taken from his post match press conference. The part in question is from about 3:09 in to the video:

He is of course correct. We all know it so lets see what the summer brings.

He is but I don't think Uncle Tone is going to break his recruitment model is he?

Just don't see us buying established stars.

Great experience virtual freebies like Welbz, Lallana & Veltman with young rough diamonds from left field.

Maybe TB will do something to keep RDZ on side, but then again, establish a precedent and it becomes the accepted norm....... I think the model stays the same, but we will need bigger squad depth if in Europe.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Well he’s right. There’s a few positions that certainly need investment. The striker situation certainly needs looking at. Unless very lucky you can’t expect to compete at the top & have 3 strikers you’ve payed a combined £7m for.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Its a lot better than their managers I heard on radio

"Ya Ya we were determined to win and I think we deserved the win......"

No you didn't you bald p*ick, you only did so as one of our players missed a penalty.

Amazing that the narrative post-match seemed to be how well United had bounced back from their Europa League defeat. With a goalless draw against Brighton and a goalkeeper so scared of playing the ball they had to resort to Dyche-era Burnley tactics. Yeh, brilliant Erik. What a genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here