Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi quote

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, it's basically exactly the same as what Gus said, and meant in pretty much the same way.

And there's quite a high chance that RDZ'S time with us will end in similar acrimony, but hopefully not for some time.
RDZ hasn't yet had the ability to let go a striker go he didn't think was good enough for the Championship, then endorse the signing of a then club record signing for a striker that wasn't as good, then complain about a ceiling when a lack of clinical finishing cost us a playoff final spot with a much better side. At this point RDZ hasn't had any influence on transfer policy, Gus probably had more say than any manager since.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
i agree with this quote 100% , we just don't have depth in the goal scoring department ,Undav showed yesterday he's a long way off, Danny is 35..?? so its down to Evan ....we need a big boy up front , you will laugh but it's the piece in the jigsaw and will keep others here ...we need a decent striker a propper , decent striker.
You have added 3 years to Danny's age. He is 32 born 26/11/90

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
RDZ alone has cured me of imposter syndrome :wink:. I go to almost any PL game, for the first time, with huge optimism.
It's only Man City I truly worry about playing....but then I imagine virtually all teams do. Otherwise it's game on!

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Absolutely bang on, the fact that we started with enciso meant that we had no potential game changing players on the bench. I thought Mitoma looked like he was having a bad game to me (maybe carrying a slight injury?) but there was nobody on the bench to replace him.
I don't think Mitoma was having a bad game, Wan Bissaka had a great game.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I remember when AWB broke into the Palace side and Roy said something like, we were short of numbers so called him into first team training. Wilf couldn’t get past him so he had to come into the first team. If he could keep Wilf quiet as a kid then it is no surprise he gave Mitoma a hard time. Solly was equally subdued and Fernandez was on a mission to disrupt Caicedo. They worked their socks off to subdue us and I take that as a compliment.
yep, seemed to me Man Utd, containing Casermiro who cost 10mill more than our entire team, were set up to frustrate and spoil. I also think folks may need to get a bit of a reality check, TB & B are not going to discard the model that's worked so well for us and has us as the current media darlings and envy of many other clubs and fans.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This summer will be big if Mac leaves and/or Caicedo. Roberto won't hang around if we don't bring in replacements or fail to back him! Hope he gets a few in he wants otherwise,being ambitious, he'll be off.
I've always felt that he is passing through. I hope to be wrong, but an opportunity will present itself.

But Tony remains. And the reason why the club has established itself upstairs is because of how it operates. I would not change the operation to please a manager, whoever they are. One day they will be gone, but the club will still be here.

So I see our position as a blessing. We are traditionally a third division team. I don't want to see the club change anything that it knows keeps us at the top end of what is realistic- unless it doesn't put us in a position that could cause us problems down the road.

A lot could be spent on a striker who fails. And then that striker is on the books and costing money. The framework offers a safeguard against it.

I've seen a few comments in Twitter etc from folk who don't get that this is someone else's money they want their egos to be stoked with. I'm just delighted we are where we are. And if Tony says 'Sorry, no can do' then I'm fine. It's him who got us here. If a manager leaves as a result, then fine. Tony is the reason we are here.

There will be mistakes, but our league status suggests there haven't been many of them.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
This summer will be big if Mac leaves and/or Caicedo. Roberto won't hang around if we don't bring in replacements or fail to back him! Hope he gets a few in he wants otherwise,being ambitious, he'll be off.
Potter was ambitious. I hope that RDZ doesn’t think the grass is going to be greener elsewhere. He, like Potter, hasn‘t won anything yet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All of the above.

TB won't go an unprecedented spending spree partly to keep a manager, when that manager could walk out 6 months or a year later.

Players will still be bought according to the tried n tested plan, able to fit in with any future coach's tactics and methods.

Leaving $$$$ basket-case clubs to carry on the chaos of shipping hordes of players in and out with each fad.

It's only Man City I truly worry about playing....but then I imagine virtually all teams do. Otherwise it's game on!
Spot on. Newcastle hammering spurs yesterday makes top 4 out of reach but 5th 6th certainly doable. We're capable of getting points from all our remaining fixtures including City but, City the most unlikely.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
i agree with this quote 100% , we just don't have depth in the goal scoring department ,Undav showed yesterday he's a long way off, Danny is 35..?? so its down to Evan ....we need a big boy up front , you will laugh but it's the piece in the jigsaw and will keep others here ...we need a decent striker a propper , decent striker.
Danny Welbeck is 32.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
All of the above.

TB won't go an unprecedented spending spree partly to keep a manager, when that manager could walk out 6 months or a year later.

Players will still be bought according to the tried n tested plan, able to fit in with any future coach's tactics and methods.

Leaving $$$$ basket-case clubs to carry on the chaos of shipping hordes of players in and out with each fad.
This with bells and ribbons.

The fans and, in our case, owner remain. No-one else. However much commitment they show why they are here, they are passing through.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe I reading in to it wrongly, but I think it's a bloke just inquiring about possible transfers during a summer transfer window. Maybe he wants a look at the loanees as well. If he does the italian thing and buggers off, then I trust Tony and Paul have the next messiah lined up!
I think it's a little bit more than that. It's easy to bat away that type of question. Straightforward enough to give a non-committal 'let's sort that out in the summer - we've just lost a semi-final so it's not on my mind right now'. If his first language was English, saying 'we have to speak with the club to understand if we can improve the squad' would be an unusual answer as it's sending a message to the board which doesn't need to be made in public. Obviously though Roberto is a) very honest and b) not a native English speaker, so it may not have been (probably wasn't) his intention.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don't agree, I thought it was the best team we could have started with the options available and Enciso did well.
Enciso did do well 👍, and he's impressed in his recent appearances, growing in maturity.. If only his left foot shot hadn't been saved by De Gea 🤦‍♂️...ifs and buts... I was actually surprised De Zerbi subbed him as I thought he looked most likely to unlock Utd's defence (yeah, he gave away silly foul on edge of box, ok...) . If that late Undav chance had fallen to Enciso, I reckon his superior ball control could have tucked it away.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Can we assume that Gilmour needs to be moved on? He’d probably have got more game time if he’d stayed at Chelsea. RDZ obviously doesn’t rate him.
Can we be sure about that? Our Caicedo/ AliMac combo has got us to where we are this season, they are massive together. If one is injured I think he'll bring in Gilmour - we may see in a few games as our midfield gets a battering from behind the way we play.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can we be sure about that? Our Caicedo/ AliMac combo has got us to where we are this season, they are massive together. If one is injured I think he'll bring in Gilmour - we may see in a few games as our midfield gets a battering from behind the way we play.
The fact Baounette & Ayari have had minutes more recently than wee Billy says a lot

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think the importance of squad depth depends to some extent, assuming we finish at seventh or above (I know, big assumption), on which European competition we end up in. The Europa Conference League seems like a useful entry primer for clubs new to Europe and if West Ham's experience is anything to go by, allows for a more or less seamless transition with the existing squad with maybe one or two additions. The next level (ie finishing in 5th or 6th) would put us in the Europa League and would pitch us against more formidable European competition (eg Sevilla, Roma, Juventus!) and would clearly require a stronger squad whereas finishing in 1-4 puts us into the European Championship (i.e. your Real Madrids, Barcelonas, Bayern Munich et al) and is arguably a competition too far for us at this point in time given our size and resources. So if we approach it incrementally the Conference League looks the best fit given where we are at the moment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can we assume that Gilmour needs to be moved on? He’d probably have got more game time if he’d stayed at Chelsea. RDZ obviously doesn’t rate him.
He's competing for a place in the side ahead of Caicedo, Mac Alister and Gross. Not sure it's obvious RDZ doesn't rate him, just obvious he doesn't rate him higher than those 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here