Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi quote

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Didn't Gilmour come here specifically because he wanted to work with Potter? And then Potter upped sticks and went to the club he'd just left.

I've not been massively impressed with him in his few appearances but there could be a good player in there, perhaps just a bit disillusioned with his lot.

Though, to argue with myself, if he wants to forge a career as a professional footballer stuff like that is something he's going to need to get on with.
He'll certainly be a professional football, he's already got several international caps for (stop sniggering) Scotland. The question for him is where can he best get his stalling career back on track. I find it hard to believe it's here, i'll be delighted if he gets his chance and takes it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
RDZ is a fantastic manager, but he will go the same way as Gus. Two strong headed managers, not afraid to speak their mind and that will rub against Bloom and Barber
I can't see RDZ being told to drive back when half way to be interviewed for another job, though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didn't Gilmour come here specifically because he wanted to work with Potter? And then Potter upped sticks and went to the club he'd just left.

I've not been massively impressed with him in his few appearances but there could be a good player in there, perhaps just a bit disillusioned with his lot.

Though, to argue with myself, if he wants to forge a career as a professional footballer stuff like that is something he's going to need to get on with.
He’s stuck behind Groß, Ale Mac and Moises for a midfield berth - all of whom rarely get subbed. Don’t really see him in the 10 role.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
The thing with succession planning is that it doesn't have to mean that Billy G is not an RDZ player . Given the performances, the results and the fact that we are geunely competing for things will mean less risks being taken - opportunities for rotation are more limited in many of the squads in similar positions. The opportunities for Gilmour may be just around the corner - through injuries, exhaustion or simply if we fade in terms of our challenge for Europe in the next couple of matches. No doubting the preferred players for RDZ right now, and he will play them until he can't or there is less jeopardy on the result. I genuinely think that Gilmour will be a much more utilised player for us next year having been close to the squad this season. Don't think he will go anywhere.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK, so the squad is about 4 “ready to play” players short we all know that and surely so do the club. (Sunday gave a good demonstration of who RDZ considers “ready to play”.)

Add to this, we’ll likely lose 3 or 4 in the summer, (not necessarily 3 or 4 big transfer fee players, maybe Veltman, maybe Lamptey etc).

So we will probably need 8 more (ready to play) players for next season.

Now, if there is any tension, (and a very good chance there isn’t) within the club, it’s about where those 8 players are coming from

For example the club may be thinking that at least 6 will be players already on the books. For example, players already in the squad, but not yet quite there for PL starts such as Moran, Ayari and Buenanotte plus players returning from loan, for example Adringa, Alzate, Turns, Rushworth. Fair enough if they do anticipate this, that’s the model that has got them this far.

However will RDZ be as compliant as CH or GP? He may well be anticipating (as most managers would) that out of these 8 players, 6 will be bought in … his own picks. 6 players ready to play at this standard is quite an outlay and even if we do get £80m for a player, we’ll be losing money on transfers again.

4 (existing) and 4 (new) seems to me to be a more probable compromise between the two.

All of the above assumes no European football. In which case we’ll likely need a squad with 10 more “ready to play” players.
Sorry Nobby, but I disagree with your maths here of 8 to stand still and 10 for Europe. I think that if we make Europe and keep what we have, we will be looking at maybe 3 'first team ready' in addition to what we have coming through the normal development process.

Karbownik, Alzate, Adingra, Sima + Other loanees I've probably forgotten about

Peupion, Offiah, McGill on edge of 1st team squad

Buonanote, Ayari, Enciso, Van Hecke, Moran currently breaking into 1st team

Moder back

Caicedo, Ferguson, Sarmiento, Gilmour, Lamptey who will all benefit hugely at their age from a year's more experience

Whilst we only have Lallana going the other way at 34. (Welbeck 32, Dunk, Gross, Veltman all 31)

I do think if we added 3 of either Lallana, Welbeck, Veltman very experienced type or Estupinan, Mitoma, Cucurella, Trossard type players at their peak, then that would be enough, (obviously in addition to replacing anyone who went).

The key being 'keep what we've got', oh and sign a few more wonderkids for 2/3 years time :wink:

Last edited:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Sorry Nobby, but I disagree with your maths here of 8 to stand still and 10 for Europe. I think that if we make Europe and keep what we have, we will be looking at maybe 3 'first team ready' in addition to what we have coming through the normal development process.

Karbownik, Alzate, Adingra, Sima + Other loanees I've probably forgotten about

Peupion, Offiah, McGill on edge of 1st team squad

Buonanote, Ayari, Enciso, Van Hecke, Moran currently breaking into 1st team

Moder back

Caicedo, Ferguson, Sarmiento, Gilmour, Lamptey who will all benefit hugely at their age from a year's more experience

Whilst we only have Lallana going the other way at 34. (Welbeck 32, Dunk, Gross, Veltman all 31)

I do think if we added 3 of either Lallana, Welbeck, Veltman very experienced type or Estupinan, Mitoma, Cucurella, Trossard type players at their peak, then that would be enough, (obviously in addition to replacing anyone who went).

The key being 'keep what we've got', oh and sign a few more wonderkids for 2/3 years time :wink:
The crop of current loanees who might be ready to be first team backups are realistically:

Steven Alzate, wasn't fancied by Potter but has played PL and his close control might be a real asset under RdZ as a squad option
Kacper Kozlowski, youngest ever player at a Euros, but still reportedly very inconsistent in Eredivisie
Simon Adingra, probable understudy to Mitoma but hasnt yet shown quite as much at USG as Kaoru did
Carl Rushworth, could be a backup goalee for us if Sanchez goes or benefit more from a Championship loan spell. Reportedly an excellent shot stopper but not the best with his feet (issue under RdZ)

The likes of Sima, Scherpen, Karbownik, Zeqiri, Richards, Connolly and Khadra I suspect may be moved on if possible as not quite up to scratch at this point in time.

Those who have had positive loans but still a way off PL level will probably get another year out on loan higher up the ladder - Turns, Weir, Beadle and Leonard.

Stars of our current U21s are more likely to go out on loan than become immediate first team players (Moran, Offiah, Peupion, Barrington, Samuels spring to mind). Moran seems to be the highest rated and maybe the exception, but there is a lot of competition for attacking midfield for him to overcome even if Mac Allister leaves.

One interesting one is Haydon Roberts - left footed CB/left back/defensive midfielder. This is a clear gap in our squad, he might get the chance to prove himself in the summer, but whilst he's played quite regularly for Derby he hasnt yet shown he can do it at a higher level.

Lamptey and Moder can't be assumed that they will come back to their best levels after long injuries. At least one of Mac Allister and Caicedo will probably leave and its unlikely that we can get Colwill permanently.

Do we presume that Buonanotte, Ayari, Enciso and Sarmiento will stick around and gradually be more integrated into first team regulars? What about van Hecke and Gilmour - will they leave to play regular football?

So I think ideally we need about 5 competitive first teamers - a defensive midfielder, another striker, a left footed CB and fullbacks on both sides. Then the usual two or three up and comer signings for the future.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He’s a great coach, he deserves a bigger stage at some stage. If he leaves soon, so be it.

TB has a financial strategy that’s working just now, I’d rather we didn’t get ahead of ourselves in spending. Spending Caicedo and Mac Allister money way, way ahead of actually potentially banking it, would be reckless.
True but what about the Cucurella & Potter money .... agreed we have spent a chunk of it on Purvis and a couple of others but should have been a bit left over.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The crop of current loanees who might be ready to be first team backups are realistically:

Steven Alzate, wasn't fancied by Potter but has played PL and his close control might be a real asset under RdZ as a squad option
Kacper Kozlowski, youngest ever player at a Euros, but still reportedly very inconsistent in Eredivisie
Simon Adingra, probable understudy to Mitoma but hasnt yet shown quite as much at USG as Kaoru did
Carl Rushworth, could be a backup goalee for us if Sanchez goes or benefit more from a Championship loan spell. Reportedly an excellent shot stopper but not the best with his feet (issue under RdZ)

The likes of Sima, Scherpen, Karbownik, Zeqiri, Richards, Connolly and Khadra I suspect may be moved on if possible as not quite up to scratch at this point in time.

Those who have had positive loans but still a way off PL level will probably get another year out on loan higher up the ladder - Turns, Weir, Beadle and Leonard.

Stars of our current U21s are more likely to go out on loan than become immediate first team players (Moran, Offiah, Peupion, Barrington, Samuels spring to mind). Moran seems to be the highest rated and maybe the exception, but there is a lot of competition for attacking midfield for him to overcome even if Mac Allister leaves.

One interesting one is Haydon Roberts - left footed CB/left back/defensive midfielder. This is a clear gap in our squad, he might get the chance to prove himself in the summer, but whilst he's played quite regularly for Derby he hasnt yet shown he can do it at a higher level.

Lamptey and Moder can't be assumed that they will come back to their best levels after long injuries. At least one of Mac Allister and Caicedo will probably leave and its unlikely that we can get Colwill permanently.

Do we presume that Buonanotte, Ayari, Enciso and Sarmiento will stick around and gradually be more integrated into first team regulars? What about van Hecke and Gilmour - will they leave to play regular football?

So I think ideally we need about 5 competitive first teamers - a defensive midfielder, another striker, a left footed CB and fullbacks on both sides. Then the usual two or three up and comer signings for the future.
Would think we need 5 players just to stand still i.e. top 10 place but would need more if we get in Europa and/or we loose either Caicedo, Mac and Colwill.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True but what about the Cucurella & Potter money .... agreed we have spent a chunk of it on Purvis and a couple of others but should have been a bit left over.

Obviously I want RDZ to stay and pray that he does for a long time.

But we can't offer the transfer budgets of clubs with CL and huge commercial income, so I've mentally prepared myself for the day he takes that route.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You're asking about the Cucu and Potter money. I'm asking: what about the Cucu, Biss, Maups and Ostigard money from last summer, what about the Potter and his merry gang money from September, what about the Tross money from Jan?
Our accounts are going to look pretty good for the 22/23 season. As already indicated, I think we'll spend a fair whack this window.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Obviously I want RDZ to stay and pray that he does for a long time.

But we can't offer the transfer budgets of clubs with CL and huge commercial income, so I've mentally prepared myself for the day he takes that route.
The thing is, does RDZ want to be at a mega-club? His football relies on a unique mix of factors which seem to mostly be present at BHA - technically excellent players, decent footballing brains, cohesive dressing room, players with "balls", a Board that's happy to let him do his thing, etc, etc. I struggle to see where else he would find that combination in England (possibly Man City and Arsenal, and that's it....and I can't see them changing manager in the near future. Potentially Liverpool, too). Of course, he will move on at some stage, but there won't be loads of opportunities that are right for him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The thing is, does RDZ want to be at a mega-club? His football relies on a unique mix of factors which seem to mostly be present at BHA - technically excellent players, decent footballing brains, cohesive dressing room, players with "balls", a Board that's happy to let him do his thing, etc, etc. I struggle to see where else he would find that combination in England (possibly Man City and Arsenal, and that's it....and I can't see them changing manager in the near future. Potentially Liverpool, too). Of course, he will move on at some stage, but there won't be loads of opportunities that are right for him.

Imho he should avoid Spurs and Chelsea, for obvious reasons, no strategy.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Totally agree he’s right. I just don’t know whether we will, or should, break too far from the model that’s got us to this point.
Ever since promotion, this has been my biggest worry: that TB will simply refuse to break the model.

Somehow we managed with a 30+ year old main striker for 3 seasons, then Potterball saved us and Caicedo's intro meant midfielders suddenly realised where the goal was. RDZ is hardly the first to realise that is not enough for sustainable top 10, let alone another possible 10+ games in Europe. Welbz and Ferguson are at opposite ends of career and hardly reliable week in week out players; Undav is in mould of Locadia and Andone. I would love to be proved wrong but I don't think he will make it. We simply have to get an oven ready striker this summer; my dream would be Toney (Brentford have sold to us and yes, I know it was only Maupay, but here's hoping).

But the whole team needs strengthening; ideally you want your 2nd XI to be PL competitive, and we are miles off that. I don't see how that can be achieved in South America.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here