David Burke

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Could ask does he think Oscar should have a higher public profile re signing players...we seem to hear from the Chairman..CEO and Burke recently...but very little from the actual ..manager/coach

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I have a few questions, which may or may not have been covered on this thread, so pick and choose as you please:
- What is the scouting process? i.e. from initial identification to completed signing. A good illustration might be the succesfull Ulloa signing, how many times did we watch him over what period of time before signing?
- Are there any particular regions of the globe that we have a particular focus on, assuming mainly European, would we look to expand this to other regions if we were promoted? e.g. is it a cost base decision if for example we don't scout South America?
- What would he consider to be the most "succesfull" signing he has been responsible for over his career?
- How does our set up on the football side of things now compare with other clubs he has been involved with?

I think that's all I have for now! Might add some more later... really looking forward to listening to this weeks' show. Thanks for the invaluable service you guys provide.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will the show be pod-ied before Saturday?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well.....

That was excellent - extremely interesting. The one thing that screamed out of the speakers at me was just how professional David Burke appears to be. The set up at this club is first class. Any of you on here who doubt this guy's credentials or his ability to do the job, please listen to this show and then decide.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The main thing that I gained from it is how bloody boring his voice is. It was hard work listening to it but very interesting all the same!

Good work guys!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well.....

That was excellent - extremely interesting. The one thing that screamed out of the speakers at me was just how professional David Burke appears to be. The set up at this club is first class. Any of you on here who doubt this guy's credentials or his ability to do the job, please listen to this show and then decide.

I listened to the show and I am afraid I am not impressed, all this filling in on a data base about players and we still end up with the likes of Chicksen, Conway and Agustein out of this years budget.
Paul Barber is winning me over with what he is doing, but I am afraid Mr Burke has got a lot more to do to prove himself in my mind.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I listened to the show and I am afraid I am not impressed, all this filling in on a data base about players and we still end up with the likes of Chicksen, Conway and Agustein out of this years budget.
Paul Barber is winning me over with what he is doing, but I am afraid Mr Burke has got a lot more to do to prove himself in my mind.

Ok, but you also have to give him credit for Ulloa, Ward, Upson do you not? The jury is out on the 3 players you mentioned, certainly, but then they have hardly played.
It did sound like the setup at the club is first class, and has moved on considerably from what it was, don't you think?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Ok, but you also have to give him credit for Ulloa, Ward, Upson do you not? The jury is out on the 3 players you mentioned, certainly, but then they have hardly played.
It did sound like the setup at the club is first class, and has moved on considerably from what it was, don't you think?

I am not sure you can credit Ulloa to Burke as the club had been reportedly chasing Ulloa for over a year before signing him, so credit for him most likely went to Stephenson before him.
But yes he did bring in Upson and Ward along with Dobbie.
What still worries me about this set up is, that yes Oscar has the final yes or no, but the players that he has to choose from still comes from Burkes list.
What other players did Oscar have to choose from when we signed Conway for example?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I am not sure you can credit Ulloa to Burke as the club had been reportedly chasing Ulloa for over a year before signing him, so credit for him most likely went to Stephenson before him.
But yes he did bring in Upson and Ward along with Dobbie.
What still worries me about this set up is, that yes Oscar has the final yes or no, but the players that he has to choose from still comes from Burkes list.
What other players did Oscar have to choose from when we signed Conway for example?

But according to that interview, Burke's list contains everyone! So by that, Oscar's "players" would be on the list.
Well we will never know re the last sentence.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
But according to that interview, Burke's list contains everyone! So by that, Oscar's "players" would be on the list.
Well we will never know re the last sentence.

Not true, the data base contains everyone that any of the scouts hear rumour about or watch, from that, a list is created that might fit what we are looking for.
And as for Oscars Players as you call them, how come we have not had any talk of possible players from Spain or Israel, surely he has spotted possible targets from there that could fit our needs?

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
No true, the data base contains everyone that any of the scouts hear rumour about or watch, from that, a list is created that might fit what we are looking for.
And as for Oscars Players as you call them, how come we have not had any talk of possible players from Spain or Israel, surely he has spotted possible targets from there that could fit our needs?

The database contains everyone, not just those the scouts have watched - everyone. That is what he said.
I dunno re the second bit - maybe they are unavailable, too expensive, don't want to come etc etc.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The database contains everyone, not just those the scouts have watched - everyone. That is what he said.
I dunno re the second bit - maybe they are unavailable, too expensive, don't want to come etc etc.

Well it is my experience that if you put shit into a data base, you get shit out. Conway, Chicksen and Agustein are eating into our budget and perhaps the data base needs a tweek or two. So if we did not waste money on them, perhaps we could afford one more expensive player who actually adds something to the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports