Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I enjoyed the piece, Burke surely comes across as a man who commands respect, knows what he wants to say and how he's going to say it.

But the talk of his whole scouting, database just doesn't ring true when compared against our current difficulties.

When we finished last season Burke knew we were light on strikers.
At no point has this situation improved.
Clearly there are funds available.
Clearly there is and has been at least 1 player (Lita) that passes all Burke/Oscar/TB requirements.

and yet he has still arrived late.

I don't believe Lita's circumstances have changed since May, so why have we waited?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm sorry, I don't do impressions, my work in specifically in the field of publishing.

Sorry.

When it comes to considering people in his position, I'm not in pre-disposed to make a real judgement on their role. I'm not a football administrator, never have been nor have I ever played Football Manager.

However, the way he described his role, the set-up and how he goes about it left me quite impressed. I can't say that what he described and what the actualities are are one and the same, but even if that's their target to achieve, that's pretty good, I'd say.

I'm not going to be one of those people who seeks to judge him on results only (there are some who make those facile judgements on many aspects within football without considering mitigation) - it has no value.

A couple of other things - even though his role is complex, he could indulge in some brevity (said the pot...), and he could do with a change in voice-tone once in a while. Oh, and he is a massive fan of The Cure.

Only listened to the podcast today ...the guy certainly commands respect with that cv and knows his onions so to speak...but it seemed as though it was a difficult interview and for the first half he seemed a bit frosty..or maybe it was just me

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Only listened to the podcast today ...the guy certainly commands respect with that cv and knows his onions so to speak...but it seemed as though it was a difficult interview and for the first half he seemed a bit frosty..or maybe it was just me

That's very odd... I thought he was most enthusiastic and almost gushing at times... easy to listen to, and clearly a good man for the job. A typically good Tony Bloom appointment, IMHO.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I enjoyed the piece, Burke surely comes across as a man who commands respect, knows what he wants to say and how he's going to say it.

But the talk of his whole scouting, database just doesn't ring true when compared against our current difficulties.

When we finished last season Burke knew we were light on strikers.
At no point has this situation improved.
Clearly there are funds available.
Clearly there is and has been at least 1 player (Lita) that passes all Burke/Oscar/TB requirements.

and yet he has still arrived late.

I don't believe Lita's circumstances have changed since May, so why have we waited?

Who knows. Perhaps Lita was on the cards from DB, but at the time with Ulloa fit, knowing CMS should be back before the year is out, and perhaps feeling Barnes could cover, a decision was taken not to sign him from those above DB. Ulloa injury has now forced their hand to sign him. For all we know DB has done everything that has been asked of him for this position. He can only put the targets in front of the manager and owner, he doesn't ultimately sign them.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
That's very odd... I thought he was most enthusiastic and almost gushing at times... easy to listen to, and clearly a good man for the job. A typically good Tony Bloom appointment, IMHO.

I agree with this, he won me over in the interview.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Well i wouldnt disagree with him being a good man for the job....but to me when asked questions by Large seemed a bit defensive in his tone if not in content ..as said i felt he warmed up in enthusiasm the longer the interview went on...just an opinion like

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Well i wouldnt disagree with him being a good man for the job....but to me when asked questions by Large seemed a bit defensive in his tone if not in content ..as said i felt he warmed up in enthusiasm the longer the interview went on...just an opinion like

Thank you Al shall now be referred to as Large!! I like that :wink:

DB was certainly very knowledgeable as a man with his cv should be. There was a lot there it seems that was open to debate which we shall try to do in this weeks show. We are delighted however that people have got more of an insight into what it is he does and the lengths the club goes to in player recruitment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here