David Burke, is the fat lady clearing her throat?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
David Burke had an extensive scouting CV from his time with Fulham, Citeh, Southampton.

If Tony wasn't thrilled with the last few windows, Tony would have sacked him.

Come on this isn't difficult, Tony is the employer David is the employee.
DB works within a contract and job description as defined by Tony.

The 'last few windows' implies you think DB has not been up to his job for over a year.
How can you possibly come to that conclusion?

The fall back question to any Burker is:-

Have you listened to his interview on Roar?
Usually the answer is 'no', which goes some way to explain why the Burker in question writes what they do.

Like I said before, as the recruitment process is a long term strategy perhaps Tony is giving him a fair chance to produce.

My conclusion is based on the fact that we keep hearing the line "we only want to bring in players who will improve the squad, not just add numbers". Then what were the signings of Dobbie, Lita, Obika, Andrews, Agustein, David Rodriguez for?

I listened to Burke on the roar and it was interesting to hear the amount of diligence that goes into targeting a player, that's why I'm so surprised that we've been interested in the players I mentioned above.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6488611 said:
Like I said before, as the recruitment process is a long term strategy perhaps Tony is giving him a fair chance to produce.

My conclusion is based on the fact that we keep hearing the line "we only want to bring in players who will improve the squad, not just add numbers". Then what were the signings of Dobbie, Lita, Obika, Andrews, Agustein, David Rodriguez for?

I listened to Burke on the roar and it was interesting to hear the amount of diligence that goes into targeting a player, that's why I'm so surprised that we've been interested in the players I mentioned above.
Hard to argue with, but the same point still stands.

We don't know what constraints Tony puts on Burke.

Dobbie - We got our money back, it's wasn't an obvious 'turkey' signing, unlike Lita & Obika.
Andrews - Solidified our midfield at the exact point in the season it was needed to get us in the play-offs.
Agustein - Christ knows what's going on there.
David Rodriguez - Just a body.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That's essentially what you're saying though. You're doing exactly what you've accused the club of doing - spinning your words. Bloom stated he thinks Burke is doing an excellent job and that the system we employ will not change. That's a fact. If you don't trust that way of working or Burke that's fair enough - but by the same token then you don't trust Bloom as he will continue to back the set-up we have and Burke. Not a dig at you. Just saying you should be more open with your disappointment with Bloom, rather than directing it at Burke/Barber.

I didn't mention PB.

I have previously said the club needs to review its player recruitment strategy, that includes DB, his team, budgets, getting deals done timely, etc. etc.

Bottom-line - DB IS responsible for player recruitment - a key element of his job. He has to be accountable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't mention PB.

I have previously said the club needs to review its player recruitment strategy, that includes DB, his team, budgets, getting deals done timely, etc. etc.

Bottom-line - DB IS responsible for player recruitment - a key element of his job. He has to be accountable.

He is accountable - to Tony Bloom, who is satisfied.
We've found out in the past that if Bloom isn't happy with someone, they soon lose their job.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

What gives you the right to say that?

Surely you have mentioned this in the numerous board meetings you've attended.
Have you been forth coming with extra money to spend?
Or are you just being fast and loose with someone else's cash.

David Burke is accountable and until such time as he leaves or is sacked then he has clearly deemed up to the job.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The buck stops with Bloom not Burke, it's going to be about money not how the club is sold to players. Not sure why Burke would get the blame that players choose other clubs.

Because impatient, greedy and unrealistic chidren get upset when they don't get a really big present before Christmas?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He is accountable - to Tony Bloom, who is satisfied.
We've found out in the past that if Bloom isn't happy with someone, they soon lose their job.

I wish DB luck for his future elsewhere then! :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

David Burke is accountable and until such time as he leaves or is sacked then he has clearly deemed up to the job.

Your quoted post is utter cr@p. I posted what I thought should happen on a forum. I don't need your permission to do so. I have every right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your quoted post is utter cr@p. I posted what I thought should happen on a forum. I don't need your permission to do so. I have every right.
It just would be nice if you used you right correctly and actually attacked the person who is responsible.

That'll be the organ grinder, not the monkey.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Going back to my point before, player recruitment is a long term strategy and Tony would be churlish to dismiss Burke until he has had enough time to develop his strategy. But up to this point you'd have to say our process is hardly functioning spectacularly. Perhaps Tony has faith in Burke that it will come good soon, or perhaps he's running out of patience. We can only speculate obviously, but to imagine Tony has been pleased with what Burke has delivered in the last couple of windows seems crazy to me! Just because Burke is still in a job now doesn't mean Tony is pleased, it just means he is giving Burke time to get it right. But I imagine he will soon run out of patience if things don't improve!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6488802 said:
Going back to my point before, player recruitment is a long term strategy and Tony would be churlish to dismiss Burke until he has had enough time to develop his strategy. But up to this point you'd have to say our process is hardly functioning spectacularly. Perhaps Tony has faith in Burke that it will come good soon, or perhaps he's running out of patience. We can only speculate obviously, but to imagine Tony has been pleased with what Burke has delivered in the last couple of windows seems crazy to me! Just because Burke is still in a job now doesn't mean Tony is pleased, it just means he is giving Burke time to get it right. But I imagine he will soon run out of patience if things don't improve!
You talk as if there's no dialog between Tony and David.

Then every Sept/Feb Tony looks at the squad and says 'what the ****'.

Whereas it would seem the 3 (not sure about the manager) have weekly meetings to thrash this out.

If player x has been scouted and 'groomed' but wants £5k a week more to 'soften the blow of moving South' (for arguments sake) and Tony isn't prepared to pay it, what the hell is Burke supposed to do?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
You talk as if there's no dialog between Tony and David.

Then every Sept/Feb Tony looks at the squad and says 'what the ****'.

Whereas it would seem the 3 (not sure about the manager) have weekly meetings to thrash this out.

If player x has been scouted and 'groomed' but wants £5k a week more to 'soften the blow of moving South' (for arguments sake) and Tony isn't prepared to pay it, what the hell is Burke supposed to do?

Perhaps he should think about those sorts of things as part of his research in the first place. People forget that with Ulloa was supposed to be signed in summer 2012, but due to passport issues taking longer to sort out the move was delayed until January. We could quite possibly achieved auto promotion if we'd signed a decent striker in summer 2012, instead we pursued a target that arrived 6 months too late and ended up with useless Dobbie instead.Surely part and parcel of Burkes job is to be aware of potential issues and plan accordingly.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
we have had a very decent 4 years.
but it is easy to take it for granted
football is very much result based
the championship seems to be getting ever more competitive
make no mistake if we are struggling in the wrong half
barber and everyone else's job is not secure
how many mangers have been sacked after getting the full confidence
of the management days before?
and conversely if we are challenging again everyone is doing exactly what tony wants

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6488841 said:
Perhaps he should think about those sorts of things as part of his research in the first place. People forget that with Ulloa was supposed to be signed in summer 2012, but due to passport issues taking longer to sort out the move was delayed until January. We could quite possibly achieved auto promotion if we'd signed a decent striker in summer 2012, instead we pursued a target that arrived 6 months too late and ended up with useless Dobbie instead.Surely part and parcel of Burkes job is to be aware of potential issues and plan accordingly.
From the outside looking in there does seem to be a lack of a fail safe signings.

If the Ward deal were to fall through I wouldn't have any confidence in us signing another left back, this month.
Bearing in mind we've not have a permanent LB for 2 full seasons you'd think we'd have more than one on the shopping list.

But as Tony said a bazillion times earlier, 'I don't talk about transfer targets until they are bought', meaning I have no more of an idea than you, or anybody else.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hard to argue with, but the same point still stands.

We don't know what constraints Tony puts on Burke.

Dobbie - We got our money back, it's wasn't an obvious 'turkey' signing, unlike Lita & Obika.
Andrews - Solidified our midfield at the exact point in the season it was needed to get us in the play-offs.
Agustein - Christ knows what's going on there.
David Rodriguez - Just a body.

Andrews signed on the 10th of August on a season long loan. After Agustien and Lopez signed, before Bridcutt or Crofts were injured. Orlandi was our only midfield injury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports