Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke, is the fat lady clearing her throat?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't know the ins and outs so no idea. All I'm trying to say is Burke can't spend money that isn't in the budget.

The frustration is we've lost/sold/released 11 players this summer (making £8 million) and only signed 4 (paying about £1.5 million) yet we still can't compete with clubs who have significantly lower crowds than us.

You have held out admirably over the last couple of months, backing the club and suggesting patience, but I feel the frustration is now getting to you too now?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You have held out admirably over the last couple of months, backing the club and suggesting patience, but I feel the frustration is now getting to you too now?

I think today felt like the final straw. In fairness to the club, it is the Argus/people on here's fault for getting my hopes up. I know I shouldn't believe it until confirmed by the club but it really seemed positive. Now we may not even get Ward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're all a little jaded, we all want more, we all want a team we can really enthusiastically get behind.

We've been spoiled over the last 2 seasons.
I have a little nagging back of brain mantra saying 'we overachieved last year, we overachieved last year'.

So clearly not pulling in decent players so close to the start of the season is a concern.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hate to say it, but I told you so (several weeks ago).

The whole player recruitment strategy needs to be reviewed and that most definitely includes DB and his team, who IS responsible for player acquisitions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hate to say it, but I told you so (several weeks ago).

The whole player recruitment strategy needs to be reviewed and that most definitely includes DB and his team, who IS responsible for player acquisitions.
You'll not be listening to the forum then.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Very true, but lets not forget they knew what they were getting into.

In fact I was shown round the Amex by Ken Brown who boasted very proudly how the board went for the very best in building materials etc, which is great, but what type of concrete we used doesn't really bother me. The team we are able to assemble does.

No buts! You have the luxury of not having to pay £150million just to enable the club to play somewhere. Every other investor gets that 'free' to start with. It's a massive outlay and I'm not surprised we're on a budget by comparison to others just 3 years on from opening.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6488069 said:
How do people know Bloom is happy with Burkes performance. I'd imagine Bloom himself is rather disappointed with our last few transfer windows. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there aren't massive improvements in the way we conduct transfer business that Burke is called in to Tonys office and asked to explain himself........
I can't believe Tony is happy with the recruitment team at all
Rant over :)

Well, from listening to the forum just now ( and I acknowledge your post was written beforehand); I get the impression that TB doesn't have a problem with how DB is working; and neither - it would seem - does PB.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I can't believe Tony is happy with the recruitment team at all...

Why are they still employed? It's not a common skill set, but they're not the only people in the UK who can perform the requisite tasks..

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Well, from listening to the forum just now ( and I acknowledge your post was written beforehand); I get the impression that TB doesn't have a problem with how DB is working; and neither - it would seem - does PB.

Yeah I listened with interest to that, but I would expect a gent like Tony to support Burke in public. He's hardly going to air him out in front of the fans is he.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6488439 said:
Yeah I listened with interest to that, but I would expect a gent like Tony to support Burke in public. He's hardly going to air him out in front of the fans is he.
That's very true but he has backed him every transfer window when the same questions are being asked. If he was going to get rid of Burke and was unhappy with him, the arrival of Oscar or Sami would have been ideal opportunities to change the structure. The fact he didn't suggests he is content with his work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6488439 said:
But Tony is even less likely to suffer fools lightly.

All the time David Burke is pulling a wage directly out of Tony's pocket, we can safely say Tony is happy with his performance.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Burke is currently watching Huddersfield vs Newcastle, no Adam Clayton.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
But Tony is even less likely to suffer fools lightly.

All the time David Burke is pulling a wage directly out of Tony's pocket, we can safely say Tony is happy with his performance.

You could also argue that Tony is giving Burke time, as building the scouting system and player database takes time, but another window without dividends? Can't imagine Tony has been thrilled with the last few windows.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You'll not be listening to the forum then.

I half listened to the FF. Realised pretty quickly the BS machine had been turned up to 11 to cover the club's failings in getting players in, and zoned out. If you chose to believe the spin doctor clap-trap that was spouted by our beloved leadership, then more fool you.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I half listened to the FF. Realised pretty quickly the BS machine had been turned up to 11 to cover the club's failings in getting players in, and zoned out. If you chose to believe the spin doctor clap-trap that was spouted by our beloved leadership, then more fool you.

So in other words, you don't trust Tony Bloom?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6488495 said:
You could also argue that Tony is giving Burke time, as building the scouting system and player database takes time, but another window without dividends? Can't imagine Tony has been thrilled with the last few windows.
David Burke had an extensive scouting CV from his time with Fulham, Citeh, Southampton.

If Tony wasn't thrilled with the last few windows, Tony would have sacked him.

Come on this isn't difficult, Tony is the employer David is the employee.
DB works within a contract and job description as defined by Tony.

The 'last few windows' implies you think DB has not been up to his job for over a year.
How can you possibly come to that conclusion?

The fall back question to any Burker is:-

Have you listened to his interview on Roar?
Usually the answer is 'no', which goes some way to explain why the Burker in question writes what they do.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Don't put words in my mouth, eh?

That's essentially what you're saying though. You're doing exactly what you've accused the club of doing - spinning your words. Bloom stated he thinks Burke is doing an excellent job and that the system we employ will not change. That's a fact. If you don't trust that way of working or Burke that's fair enough - but by the same token then you don't trust Bloom as he will continue to back the set-up we have and Burke. Not a dig at you. Just saying you should be more open with your disappointment with Bloom, rather than directing it at Burke/Barber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here