Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke Interview

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ignorant question, what are the advantages of a category 1 academy? And what disadvantage do say Palace have in having a cat 2 academy?

Bigger budgets and more coaches per student.

Category 1

The top level category will require clubs to have an approximate budget of £2.325m.
Have a full time staff of at least 18.
Provide at least 5 hours contact time with players each week.
The current 90 minute travel rule will not apply.

Category 2

Clubs that cannot meet the required budget requirements and staff levels demanded by Category 1, but still have an indoor training facility will most likely fall into this category.
They will spend less time coaching players each week.
Will be allowed to take players from age 4 and sign players from the age of 9.
Will require an estimated budget of £969k
The current 90 minute travel rule will not apply.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
On a general note ,i feel the club have improved their communication this season with Burke and Barber happy to inform the fans as to problems and progress.This is so important when we help to finance the project,shareholders if you like.Much more of a team front,compared to other recent seasons.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ignorant question, what are the advantages of a category 1 academy? And what disadvantage do say Palace have in having a cat 2 academy?

The higher a club's category, the more funding will be available to it - Elite Player Performance Plan

Also, the idea of catchment areas no longer applies. Now, a category 1 academy will apparently be able to (at 48 hours notice) attend a lower-ranked academy to watch the kids there - EPPP is bad for the future of the English game - and subsequently buy the player based upon a set fee schedule. This replaces the previous compensation system which had an independent tribunal (it was this system which awarded those crucial funds to Albion when Aston Villa "poached" Gareth Barry and Dick Knight's nephew). The new fee schedule would appear to be less generous - Wikipedia - EPPP

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Really like this interview, some long term thinking going on here, and good acknowledgement of the importance of youth development.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Very interesting but for someone who works in the TV industry and did some very rudimentary editing at college those are some of the oddest cut aways I've seen in a while.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Very interesting but for someone who works in the TV industry and did some very rudimentary editing at college those are some of the oddest cut aways I've seen in a while.
I'm just someone who watches telly and I found the close up of his shirt collar particularly disturbing!
Great interview though, good to know we have a clear plan. Lets hope the FA have the balls to come down hard on the teams flouting FFP rules.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

I'm just someone who watches telly and I found the close up of his shirt collar particularly disturbing!
Great interview though, good to know we have a clear plan. Lets hope the FA have the balls to come down hard on the teams flouting FFP rules.

The editing didn't really work for me either, seems like the producer was trying to make ffp more interesting !

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The editing didn't really work for me either, seems like the producer was trying to make ffp more interesting !

Have to agree, the hands on lap shots just doesn't work. They keep doing this on the Oscar interviews as well.

Burkes hands:

DBhands.jpg

Oscars hands:

OGhands.jpg

They seem to have a face camera and hand camera set up as a standard.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ultimately the EPPP is a decent implementation.

It was never right that you sign up a 9 year old kid and held his registration until he is 16 years and demand extortionate fee's should the kid want to go elsewhere at say 11 years old.

It has offered some accountability to all Academy's which now need to give reason to any kid the advantageous of staying with them, it has focused the mind's of those power brokers within the system.

However although nice new shiny facilities perhaps show the likely resources of any particular club, if the staff working within them are not particularly talented or committed to developing youngsters the right way, nothing will change absolutely NOTHING.

Yes the investment will prompt some progression of some players, but to a point the individual staff members are key, not the shiny building or the category that one obtains.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ultimately the EPPP is a decent implementation.

It was never right that you sign up a 9 year old kid and held his registration until he is 16 years and demand extortionate fee's should the kid want to go elsewhere at say 11 years old.

It has offered some accountability to all Academy's which now need to give reason to any kid the advantageous of staying with them, it has focused the mind's of those power brokers within the system.

However although nice new shiny facilities perhaps show the likely resources of any particular club, if the staff working within them are not particularly talented or committed to developing youngsters the right way, nothing will change absolutely NOTHING.

Yes the investment will prompt some progression of some players, but to a point the individual staff members are key, not the shiny building or the category that one obtains.

There is no but though, a shiny new state of the art academy will attract the right staff, just like the Amex will attract the right manager and players.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Have to agree, the hands on lap shots just doesn't work. They keep doing this on the Oscar interviews as well.

Burkes hands:

View attachment 46880

Oscars hands:

View attachment 46881

They seem to have a face camera and hand camera set up as a standard.

I'd resort to these shots only if there are no more interesting cutaways to go too. They're good when a person is gesticulating a lot but if it's just their hands sat in their lap - what's the point? Also, you can't use it once, you need to use it a few times or it looks even more awkward. The framing/eyeline was also poor but that's another issue.

I'd just do a basic midshot, and get a couple of answers from CU and different angles. That'd give you plenty to work with and I'm sure some stock footage of the club at work/behind the scenes stylee would work as more interesting cutaways.

Some of the videos on the youtube channel do seem a bit low rent. It's probably a time/budget issue rather than skillset but it'd be nice if they could up their game a bit.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There is no but though, a shiny new state of the art academy will attract the right staff, just like the Amex will attract the right manager and players.

Absolutely thats the aim, it wasnt a comment on BHA, but the same argument is relevant to us too.

You must remember that state of the art academy's are quite old news, they have been with us for some time now, yet still relatively few English players are coming through, for various reasons.

But to think that these academy's are crammed full of inventive, blow your mind coaches and scientists is probably wide of the mark, hopefully our is.

I am just trying to offer some balance to the excitement that the conveyor belt of talent is imminent due to a new indoor swimming pool.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I'd just do a basic midshot, and get a couple of answers from CU and different angles. That'd give you plenty to work with and I'm sure some stock footage of the club at work/behind the scenes stylee would work as more interesting cutaways.

What does CU mean or is this Sergei's 'derrr' moment of the day?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Just been past the training ground on the train and you got me thinking the same. Youngters arriving at the place will be overwhelmed and with the south downs as the back drop in beautiful surroundings and thats before setting eyes on our staduim.

Marvilous.

This makes me laugh, do you really think players care about the view and the surroundings?

It will all be down to the facilities and the coaching staff we have, I'm sure they couldn't care less about where it was situated.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Those that don't ignore it get the fines off of those that exceed the limits This season, if QPR and/or Forest go up, those fines are likely to be in the 10s of millions.

What's also important to point out is that, FFP or not, someone has to pay for the losses each year to prevent clubs going under.

Totally agree, the point for me is not FFP, obviously this helps, but to run the club at a profit or as close to year on year.

Regardless what others do, it would be nice to have that secuirty that many others lack in the world of football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here