Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke Interview

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Contrary to a lot of the tripe spouted by quite a few on here who said OG has no say in recruitment,.... know-it-all cretins.

I could never understand that ANYONE could think it any other way.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes, I mentioned this in a thread the other day. It's telling that Burke says "if" the defaulters are punished and not "when". There must be some real doubt as to whether the FL will really show its teeth - look at the way that the Watford 'transfer embargo' was quickly done away with. That didn't bode well for punishments post-FFP

The first job is to assess the margins of FFP rule breaking and bearing in mind it is the 2011/12 that will be examined next year. I don't think punishments will be severe initially and will be more like warnings and a few pts deductions fed out to 70% of clubs as a slap on the wrist. It probably won't be until the 2015/16 season that we will see massive penalties to clubs who flout the rules.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So basically Burke and his team pinpoint who would be affordable and fill a gap in the squad (think of it as ticking all the wanted criteria on a big database and seeing who is left who meets said criteria) They then collate data on these players and scout them. They then show their findings to OG who makes the final say.

So OG doesn't pinpoint the players he would like scouted or goes and watches them?. He is just presented with a menu to pick from once all the options have been narrowed down?

Maybe I've misunderstood that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Very impressive. Not surprised that the club is so well run by Tony, PB and, evidently, DB. Seems there is life after Gus after all (I never doubted it, but plenty on here did).

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
So basically Burke and his team pinpoint who would be affordable and fill a gap in the squad (think of it as ticking all the wanted criteria on a big database and seeing who is left who meets said criteria) They then collate data on these players and scout them. They then show their findings to OG who makes the final say.

So OG doesn't pinpoint the players he would like scouted or goes and watches them?. He is just presented with a menu to pick from once all the options have been narrowed down?

That is the way I understood it and so if Oscar is presented with sh*t to pick from, then sh*t is what he has to pick.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This. I really do think that nothing will be done to clubs working outside the FFP limit, unless they go into administration which the football league will probably then fine them. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I thought the same thing myself. Would be a real kick in the teeth if the club, after working so hard to get their house in order then other clubs just get a slap on the wrist.

This is my concern too.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I'd still imagine OG says what sort of players he wants, and if he has targets he puts them forward for Burke etc to look into.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That is the way I understood it and so if Oscar is presented with sh*t to pick from, then sh*t is what he has to pick.

Oh good. I'm glad I understood it.

We may as well let Burke and the team draw up a selection of tactics that the analysts found most effective and then let OG pick which ones he wants from the shortlist?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The first job is to assess the margins of FFP rule breaking and bearing in mind it is the 2011/12 that will be examined next year. I don't think punishments will be severe initially and will be more like warnings and a few pts deductions fed out to 70% of clubs as a slap on the wrist. It probably won't be until the 2015/16 season that we will see massive penalties to clubs who flout the rules.

Don't think that is correct - clubs have to submit financials for this current season (2013/14) by December 2014, so it will be this season that is examined at the end of next year.

And there are no points deductions at the moment under FFP - only transfer embargoes and fines for promoted teams.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Linking this to the Palace conversation on Roar.

That went along the lines of 'Selhurst is the last place you'd take a potential signing'.

We'll be able to do all signings at the training ground and then say:-

'oh would you like to see the ground too'.

(I'll make sure I bring my pen Mr Messi!! :lol:)

Just been past the training ground on the train and you got me thinking the same. Youngters arriving at the place will be overwhelmed and with the south downs as the back drop in beautiful surroundings and thats before setting eyes on our staduim.

Marvilous.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't think that is correct - clubs have to submit financials for this current season (2013/14) by December 2014, so it will be this season that is examined at the end of next year.

And there are no points deductions at the moment under FFP - only transfer embargoes and fines for promoted teams.

Transfer embargoes are useless punishments. It just means you have to run transfers past the League, not that you can't sign players.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stalking for a new Pie Maker

Good stuff. Some interesting points that have been discussed on recent threads:

Player budget same as last year.
He has already noticed at least a 25% drop in wage demands/signing on fee demands since August this year under FFP.
Aiming for Cat 1 academy
The manager will always choose which players to purchase for the first team.
It is his scouting and analysis team that put forward who is likely to be available during the transfer/loan windows - they ensure that these players have been watched regularly and recently, so that the information provided to the manager about them is as up to date as possible. The analysis team always takes into account the manager's desires re what type of players they need and whittle out those that do not fit the bill. The selected players are presented to the management team for them to scout themselves and choose who they want.

He said the same thing about the pies and they were hollow, nothing inside.

Modern day recruitment.

Sometimes (rarely nowadays) I see a good prospect playing for the other side. The one I remember clearly is left back Gary Williams (PNE) back in the seventies.

It does not happen very often.

It happens in business with the head hunters.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Oh good. I'm glad I understood it.

We may as well let Burke and the team draw up a selection of tactics that the analysts found most effective and then let OG pick which ones he wants from the shortlist?

I would be very interested if anyone can show me what experience DB has in the game, for example what teams did he play for, what level of coaching badges he has and who was his best player that he scouted at his previous clubs. I cant find anything on him with this sort of information for such an important role that he now holds. If anyone could supply this info I would love to read it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Thanks for that.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That is what will happen and we all know it. If say 4 teams blantly flout the rules then then they are hardly likely to be expelled if they cant afford the fines.

Clubs will only be fined if they are promoted - so they will be able to afford the fines. The fines are distributed amongst the other clubs in the championship that did stick to the FFP rules.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I'd still imagine OG says what sort of players he wants, and if he has targets he puts them forward for Burke etc to look into.

Don't see that myself. Alex at Man U asking questions ans it's all down to their recruitment staff. They scout and get Youngters in. Fergie will have no input on gathering future Youngters just the same as OG.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Clubs will only be fined if they are promoted - so they will be able to afford the fines. The fines are distributed amongst the other clubs in the championship that did stick to the FFP rules.

They should also have some parachute payment deductions or recieve none at all when they get relegated as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here