David Burke Interview

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Good stuff. Some interesting points that have been discussed on recent threads:

Player budget same as last year.

I don't believe anyone (including Gus) ever said the player budget had been reduced. But the transfer budget clearly has been, and quite rightly so. Why would you need to spend excessive money on players when largely we already have a squad capable of challenging at the right end of the table.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would be very interested if anyone can show me what experience DB has in the game, for example what teams did he play for, what level of coaching badges he has and who was his best player that he scouted at his previous clubs. I cant find anything on him with this sort of information for such an important role that he now holds. If anyone could supply this info I would love to read it.

It depends on the quality of the scout to spot (perceive) the talent. Some players (like Vicente) have an awareness of what is going on that is streets ahead of everybody else. This is something that is innate and cannot be learned (it seems). Not many players have it.

I think that many fans, especially some on here, either don't realise or sometimes simply lose sight of just how professional an operation we have off the field. Premier League setup everywhere, just waiting for the team produce the goods on the pitch. And that will come. Soon.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think that many fans, especially some on here, either don't realise or sometimes simply lose sight of just how professional an operation we have off the field. Premier League setup everywhere, just waiting for the team produce the goods on the pitch. And that will come. Soon.

Agree with this and that whilst they will occasionally get things wrong we have good people at the club who have its best interests at heart.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It depends on the quality of the scout to spot (perceive) the talent. Some players (like Vicente) have an awareness of what is going on that is streets ahead of everybody else. This is something that is innate and cannot be learned (it seems). Not many players have it.

I understand that and in the Clough and Taylor partnership would back up your comments, Clough being hailed as the better player but without doubt Taylor was the better judge of talent. But at the end of the day both had a long and active career in the game at top level. Which is what I hope our David Burke has, but I cannot find where.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I understand that and in the Clough and Taylor partnership would back up your comments, Clough being hailed as the better player but without doubt Taylor was the better judge of talent. But at the end of the day both had a long and active career in the game at top level. Which is what I hope our David Burke has, but I cannot find where.

Are you sure you're not fosters sweaty jockstrap? :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very impressive. Not surprised that the club is so well run by Tony, PB and, evidently, DB. Seems there is life after Gus after all (I never doubted it, but plenty on here did).

F**k me you're boring. WE GET IT. You didn't like Gus. Most did. Move on.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I feel the clubs approach of explaining and going on and on about financial fair play until we are almost fed up of hearing about it has been the correct one. If any Brighton fan does not understand the limits that the club has been restricted with then they must have been living in a cave.

I think this has given us realistic expectations on the players we can afford and hopefully appreciate that Brighton are trying to do things the right way. I don’t know if other clubs have explained it so well to their fans.

It seems we are trying to be the good guys. I hope it we get the rewards of that in the long run.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What's the point of FFP if half the clubs ignore it ?

Those that don't ignore it get the fines off of those that exceed the limits This season, if QPR and/or Forest go up, those fines are likely to be in the 10s of millions.

What's also important to point out is that, FFP or not, someone has to pay for the losses each year to prevent clubs going under.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I feel the clubs approach of explaining and going on and on about financial fair play until we are almost fed up of hearing about it has been the correct one. If any Brighton fan does not understand the limits that the club has been restricted with then they must have been living in a cave.

I think this has given us realistic expectations on the players we can afford and hopefully appreciate that Brighton are trying to do things the right way. I don’t know if other clubs have explained it so well to their fans.

It seems we are trying to be the good guys. I hope it we get the rewards of that in the long run.

I see David Burke's interview is now getting aired on the BBC website which is probably a good thing, the more widely FFP gets talked up by those Clubs trying play by the rules the more I would hope there is less chance of a fudge when it comes to enforcing it. My fear is that the authorities will still bottle it, leaving us disadvantaged so hopefully the other Clubs in our position will help us create enough noise to make sure FFP stays on the agenda. Whereas the Clubs with parachute money might be conspicuous by their silence or at least indulge in spoiling tactics.

Our adherence to FFP now will create some short term pain and might impair us on the pitch by reining in transfer expenditure but should set us up to be leaner and meaner in the longer term. Unlike those Clubs who are still indulging in a spending frenzy.

Clearly the arrival of our new training complex is very timely as home grown talent will be a premium in balancing the books.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What the hell is that sofa? Did he borrow a spare bit of furniture from his Nan to furnish his office!?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I would be very interested if anyone can show me what experience DB has in the game, for example what teams did he play for, what level of coaching badges he has and who was his best player that he scouted at his previous clubs. I cant find anything on him with this sort of information for such an important role that he now holds. If anyone could supply this info I would love to read it.

Burke's credentials have been posted on here many times. You can view his CV on linkedin.com if you're a member. These are his previous three positions:

Scouting & Recruitment Department Manager at Southampton Football Club

Elite Scout (South East England and Europe) at Manchester City Football Club

Talent Identification and Recruitment Manager at Fulham FC

He seems qualified to me. Why would you doubt him? The club wouldn't hire an amateur.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A bit more info:

Scouting & Recruitment Department Manager
Southampton Football Club
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Sports industry
June 2010 – December 2011 (1 year 7 months) Saints Training Ground. Football Development Support Centre, Marchwood

Managing all aspects of Scouting and player analysis.
Opposition Scouting
Player Recruitment - Strategy for Senior Squad through to the Academy.
All own player, opposition player and recruitment target analysis.
Departmental budget.

Elite Scout (South East England and Europe)
Manchester City Football Club
Privately Held; 501-1000 employees; Sports industry
September 2009 – June 2010 (10 months)

Responsible on reporting all aspects of a Cluster of Clubs in the Southeast.
Opposition reports when needed.
Identify and recommend Talent in 15-21 age group across Europe.
To build upon existing contacts at Clubs and in Football around Europe.

Talent Identification and Recruitment Manager
Fulham FC
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Sports industry
September 2007 – July 2009 (1 year 11 months)

To set up and manage a Scouting Department, Locally, Domestically and Internationally. Providing a pool of Talent for the Future of Fulham FC.

Senior Football Coach
ASPIRE - Academy for Sports Excellence
Public Company; 201-500 employees; Sports industry
January 2005 – September 2007 (2 years 9 months) Doha, Qatar

Senior Football Coach U15-U17 Teams
Training Camp Director
Scouting in Africa (Aspire Dreams) - Ghana and South Africa

Assistant Academy Manager
Fulham FC
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Sports industry
2000 – 2005 (5 years) Mot spur Park

Responsible for the planning and implementation of the Development programme for the full-time youth players 17-19 years.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Firstly, he's a scout not a coach. Probably one of his most successful signings was pulling Chris Smalling out of the Non League and within a couple of years he's sold to Man Utd reportedly for £12m with all the add ons etc.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
F**k me you're boring. WE GET IT. You didn't like Gus. Most did. Move on.

I DID too. You move on, then I will. Another hypocrite.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Ignorant question, what are the advantages of a category 1 academy? And what disadvantage do say Palace have in having a cat 2 academy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here