Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Maybe they don't do as much research? Maybe they pay over the odds? We'll see. But Southampton have bought a lot of dross over the past few years. I'm not sure we should be following their recruitment model.
Erm they always finish above us ??

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
All this huffing and puffing over a striker every season is getting really boring, Southampton got the job done in a couple of days cheaper deal and probably just as likely to score goals in the PL as Nunez is.

Armstrong's Championship record at Blackburn - 130 games and 49 goals
Maupay's Championship record at Brentford - 85 games and 37 goals

So he has a worse goal to game ratio in the Championship than Maupay, who many on here seem to think is useless. Quite possibly a lot of these people are the ones saying we should have gone for Armstrong (not saying both these apply to you but there is an irony here)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

So he has a worse goal to game ratio in the Championship than Maupay, who many on here seem to think is useless. Quite possibly a lot of these people are the ones saying we should have gone for Armstrong (not saying both these apply to you but there is an irony here)

Maupay is a decent premier league standard player without doubt. His touch and awareness and hold up play are very good and he’s adapted to premier league level with his game seamlessly. Except one bit - finishing. He’s not a premier league striker, in terms of goal getter etc, but a decent player and option for sure.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Maupay is a decent premier league standard player without doubt. His touch and awareness and hold up play are very good and he’s adapted to premier league level with his game seamlessly. Except one bit - finishing. He’s not a premier league striker, in terms of goal getter etc, but a decent player and option for sure.

I completely agree. I really rate him and think he will have a good season and continue to be a vital part of our team. But, if you listen to some on here, you'd think he was completely useless so it's ironic that they want a player who has a worse scoring record in the Championship to replace him.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I can’t be bothered to do the research, but surely there’s far more to it than simply goals scored against games played. Maupay was playing for an all out attacking Brentford flanked by two players who have since earned big money moves to the Premier League, he was probably provided with lots of chances per game.
Armstrong, on the other hand, was in a Blackburn team that finished in 15th, in all likelihood he wasn’t getting as many chances as Maupay, what if he was getting 2 chances per game and converting 1, that’d make him quite deadly and a natural finisher. Obviously that could all be rubbish, but it’s not really fair to compare goals to game ratios when there’s so many variables.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I completely agree. I really rate him and think he will have a good season and continue to be a vital part of our team. But, if you listen to some on here, you'd think he was completely useless so it's ironic that they want a player who has a worse scoring record in the Championship to replace him.

Very much this. He is a nuisance, creates space for other people and so on and so forth - and will be back defending when need be as well.

And who is to say he won't come good this season, anyway, in terms of putting the spherical object in the old onion bag.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

This is all true, and I think he is fine as part of a front 2 or 3. However, he isn’t fast enough to run in behind, he isn’t strong in the air, and he’s not a good finisher. That’s the elusive player we need to play alongside him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I can’t be bothered to do the research, but surely there’s far more to it than simply goals scored against gashed played. Maupay was playing for an all out attacking Brentford flanked by two players who have since earned big money moves to the Premier League, he was probably provided with lots of chances per game.
Armstrong, on the other hand, was in a Blackburn team that finished in 15th, in all likelihood he wasn’t getting as many chances as Maupay, what if he was getting 2 chances per game and converting 1, that’d make him quite deadly and a natural finisher. Obviously that could all be rubbish, but it’s not really fair to compare goals to game ratios when there’s so many variables.

You're absolutely right and I was just using a very top line comparison.

However, I just had a quick look at the Championship table from the years Maupay was at Brentford and they finished 9th in his first season (scoring 62 goals) and 11th in his second season (scoring 73 goals). While they weren't terrible, they weren't the team they've been for the last couple of seasons. He also was playing in England for the first time and improved significantly from season one to season two (scoring 12 in season one and 25 in season two).

Again, all this is out of context, but I have heard comments from Blackburn fans saying that Armstrong does need a few chances to score so not sure he is very different to Maupay. Will be interesting to see how he does, along with Che Adams, who has scored four and nine goals in the Premier League since moving to them, but obviously as back up/alongside Ings.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maybe they don't do as much research? Maybe they pay over the odds? We'll see. But Southampton have bought a lot of dross over the past few years. I'm not sure we should be following their recruitment model.
I’m confused to what our recruitment model is at times, buy a handful of prospects and hope one works out? Forget about a striker for the minute the tactical system works with wing backs pushing up the pitch and we don’t have any natural players in those positions to start on Saturday, bit of a shambles.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Mauay is fine and he guarantees you 10 +

What we need is another player on 10+ too

The argument should be in addition to Maupay , not instead of

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He does the dirty well so to speak definitely not a natural finisher. If you watch all his goals for Brentford on YouTube I would of questioned whether to sign him as there are an awful lot of pens and keeper fumbles, all in the past now let’s hope he pushes on.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Mauay is fine and he guarantees you 10 +

What we need is another player on 10+ too

The argument should be in addition to Maupay , not instead of

I agree we shouldnt be thinking about binning Maupay just yet, but not sure he guarantees 10+ having lost penalty duties.

Would personally like to see the week one Watford away 19/20 season band back together. Maupay and Andone. Goals, fights and cards galore!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I like Connelly and Maupay as a pair.. what can I say...confidence is all they need

They are good players, not anywhere near as bad as some make out on here.

Sure I would like another, but I would not be in a hurry to get rid of either of these 2.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Even before last nights developments, I wasn't sure why we were going for Nunez. Firstly he's injured, and we're not sure exactly how long that would resolve itself, secondly the word from him earlier this window was that he didn't want to come here, which makes sense as he turned us down last year to go to Benfica!
I'm sure we are active with other potential strikers, something left field like Patrik Shick or Matthew Hoppe, otherwise for the first few games we are hoping Maupay/Connolly don't get injured/sent off (not counting Zeqiri as a striker as it's clear Potter doesn't regard him as a striker anymore).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Even before last nights developments, I wasn't sure why we were going for Nunez. Firstly he's injured, and we're not sure exactly how long that would resolve itself, secondly the word from him earlier this window was that he didn't want to come here, which makes sense as he turned us down last year to go to Benfica!
I'm sure we are active with other potential strikers, something left field like Patrik Shick or Matthew Hoppe, otherwise for the first few games we are hoping Maupay/Connolly don't get injured/sent off (not counting Zeqiri as a striker as it's clear Potter doesn't regard him as a striker anymore).

Zeqiri possibly, could do with a loan. Swiss 2nd to English PL is a huge jump, doesnt look anywhere near yet as a CF.

Would a season in the championship do him a world of good?

agree re Nunez, unless he stops being picked with Yaremchuk there or his form stays patchy, in which case he will be desperate to come in January claiming we were always his preferred choice!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Zeqiri possibly, could do with a loan. Swiss 2nd to English PL is a huge jump, doesnt look anywhere near yet as a CF.

Would a season in the championship do him a world of good?

agree re Nunez, unless he stops being picked with Yaremchuk there or his form stays patchy, in which case he will be desperate to come in January claiming we were always his preferred choice!

I do agree apart from he has rarely been given the CF role in any games.

Potters insistence in playing people in other positions means he hasn't had a chance to bed in the role.

Connolly is about the only one upfront who has been allowed to play constantly in one position. Surprising really as he has failed to impress.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m confused to what our recruitment model is at times, buy a handful of prospects and hope one works out? Forget about a striker for the minute the tactical system works with wing backs pushing up the pitch and we don’t have any natural players in those positions to start on Saturday, bit of a shambles.

This is all guesswork, but there seem to be some clear elements:

- Create a fantastic academy, and develop our own talent [nb: this takes a long time to bear fruit]
- where appropriate, give that talent regular first team opportunities in lower leagues [we've been doing lots of this recently - some will work (eg: Ben White, Robert Sanchez), others won't
- Identify players with potential who we can buy at a reasonable price with an eye to them being a regular in the first team squad within a year or two (eg: Bissouma, Moder, Karbownik, Caicedo, Zeqiri)
- Use USG to facilitate transition to European football and overcoming work permit issues (eg: Tau, Mitoma)
- In cases where there are significant ownership/registration challenges, don't give up! (eg: Mac Allister, Tau, Caicedo)
- Only pay sizeable transfer fees for very specific players who we've been monitoring for ages (eg: Webster, Trossard, Mwepu)

And sometimes there will be opportunities which present themselves because of circumstances and a match with the club's requirements. (eg: Lallanna, Welbeck, Veltman)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is all guesswork, but there seem to be some clear elements:

- Create a fantastic academy, and develop our own talent [nb: this takes a long time to bear fruit]
- where appropriate, give that talent regular first team opportunities in lower leagues [we've been doing lots of this recently - some will work (eg: Ben White, Robert Sanchez), others won't
- Identify players with potential who we can buy at a reasonable price with an eye to them being a regular in the first team squad within a year or two (eg: Bissouma, Moder, Karbownik, Caicedo, Zeqiri)
- Use USG to facilitate transition to European football and overcoming work permit issues (eg: Tau, Mitoma)
- In cases where there are significant ownership/registration challenges, don't give up! (eg: Mac Allister, Tau, Caicedo)
- Only pay sizeable transfer fees for very specific players who we've been monitoring for ages (eg: Webster, Trossard, Mwepu)

And sometimes there will be opportunities which present themselves because of circumstances and a match with the club's requirements. (eg: Lallanna, Welbeck, Veltman)

Which seems a lot more coherent than many other Prem teams at the moment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

A "shambles" is the very last word I'd use to describe Albion recruitment. It feels the exact opposite in that it is very consistent. We simply don't get sucked into over-paying for players even it feels like we desperately need that position covered.

Frustrating maybe, but definitely not shambolic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here