Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dante Vanzeir (22) - Union SG

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
You can’t modernise or increase capacity at Union but if things continue to go well , then there is a possibly a new ground could be built once a site is found .

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Mentioned by naylor but im never paying for the athletic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decent content for my money.

It doesn't sound like Naylor's had any inside info, but he makes the logical point that the the reward for USG reaching the Champions League means that it's unlikely that Vanzeir will move mid season.

Interesting that he again states that Bloom is not a fan of the January window. He may not be, but that certainly hasn't stopped us from signing lots of players in January over the last 10 seasons!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Decent content for my money.

It doesn't sound like Naylor's had any inside info, but he makes the logical point that the the reward for USG reaching the Champions League means that it's unlikely that Vanzeir will move mid season.

Interesting that he again states that Bloom is not a fan of the January window. He may not be, but that certainly hasn't stopped us from signing lots of players in January over the last 10 seasons!

Okay, makes sense. However if he is right and we are not in the market for a striker, we are in serious risk of relegation. Maupay gets injured we are nailed on to go down.

So i can see us maybe loaning in a striker in the worst case and loaning out connolly.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Okay, makes sense. However if he is right and we are not in the market for a striker, we are in serious risk of relegation. Maupay gets injured we are nailed on to go down.

So i can see us maybe loaning in a striker in the worst case and loaning out connolly.

Why have you concluded that, because Naylor is saying we won't get Dante, we're not in for a striker in January? There are others out there.
I'm not convinced that we're in serious risk of relegation if we don't sign another striker, especially as there is another proven striker in our squad.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I do wonder with Sarmiento out for basically the rest of the season whether we will recall Khadra or Longman to take his spot.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Why have you concluded that, because Naylor is saying we won't get Dante, we're not in for a striker in January? There are others out there.
I'm not convinced that we're in serious risk of relegation if we don't sign another striker, especially as there is another proven striker in our squad.

agree that there's not a massive risk of relegation, it'll just mean that we'll end up having stood still position-wise for a 5th consecutive season.

what's actually in the article is actually just naylor doing his usual routine of sanctimoniously scoffing at the ungrateful fans who want a magical silver bullet striker. which is a complete caricature of what most people want, which is just more than one reliable senior striker.

he seems pretty insistent that once again we'll be going with the 'build for the future' brief and nothing else, maybe that means he's had some insider info that we won't be signing anyone for the first team again, but it does sound to me like the club using him once again to manage fan expectations

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
You can’t modernise or increase capacity at Union but if things continue to go well , then there is a possibly a new ground could be built once a site is found .

I cannot imagine moving would be popular with the locals, it is a very traditional club in a beautiful old ground. As observed well here by another, major games can go to the national stadium. Last time I was there they were still rolling barrels of beer up the terrace so save that awkward walk to the bar.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If they get to the Champions League, and it's still quite a big if at the moment as they've got to finish in the top 4 then win the end of season play offs to get automatic qualification to the group stage,then they may need a bit of investment in the playing side. But there will be absolutely zero point in plowing millions at trying to compete in the Champions League, all they've really got to try and do is get two wins against the other team that isn't from pot 1 or 2 in their group and they should finish 3rd add maybe a bonus draw against one the big boys along the way and that brings in another £8 million, and they will be in the Europa League with more of a chance of glory and a bit more cash.

They would be better off investing with a view to trying to qualify for Europe again in the league which won't require such a large investment and slowly develop the squad. Which I am sure with Uncle Tony at the helm is their much more likely plan.
What is point of that. Completely unfair that winners do not automatically qualify. A farce if after playoffs side that finished 4th are in championship league and side finishing 1st are in Europa

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What is point of that. Completely unfair that winners do not automatically qualify. A farce if after playoffs side that finished 4th are in championship league and side finishing 1st are in Europa

Same rules for everyone at the beginning of the season, so can hardly call it unfair. Same as our play offs for 3rd promotion spot in the Championship.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Same rules for everyone at the beginning of the season, so can hardly call it unfair. Same as our play offs for 3rd promotion spot in the Championship.

Is it not possible to have an unfair rule at the start of the season? If there was a Premier League rule that stated at the end of the season, the table was reordered to reflect the number of characters in each team's name, would this be fair? (Yes it would).

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
agree that there's not a massive risk of relegation, it'll just mean that we'll end up having stood still position-wise for a 5th consecutive season.

what's actually in the article is actually just naylor doing his usual routine of sanctimoniously scoffing at the ungrateful fans who want a magical silver bullet striker. which is a complete caricature of what most people want, which is just more than one reliable senior striker.

he seems pretty insistent that once again we'll be going with the 'build for the future' brief and nothing else, maybe that means he's had some insider info that we won't be signing anyone for the first team again, but it does sound to me like the club using him once again to manage fan expectations

If the club wanted to 'manage fan expectation', then surely they'd use Brian Owen, who is on what is effectively a free platform?

Also I can't agree that 'there's not a massive risk of relegation.' Until we approach 35 points, the risk is substantial.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

It is really heartening to think we are not in a relegation battle….carry these results on and we will be 100% in one!

Yet again in this league, we are hoping that there are three worst clubs than us..Norwich and Newcastle ( who we played shite against BTW) seem to be doomed, which leaves that 1 place to avoid.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
It is really heartening to think we are not in a relegation battle….carry these results on and we will be 100% in one!

Yet again in this league, we are hoping that there are three worst clubs than us..Norwich and Newcastle ( who we played shite against BTW) seem to be doomed, which leaves that 1 place to avoid.

That is proper pi88ing the bed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is proper pi88ing the bed.

Never done that in my life sweetie pie.

Having said that what I have seen is in front of me

BTW if you suffer from it, I can suggest a good company my mate works for who can supply you with a plastic over sheet

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Never done that in my life sweetie pie.

Having said that what I have seen is in front of me

BTW if you suffer from it, I can suggest a good company my mate works for who can supply you with a plastic over sheet

Funny that your mate works for a company that sells plastics sheets.

You sure you've never needed his services?

Your post I replied to was dripping in pi88. [emoji3]

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
If the club wanted to 'manage fan expectation', then surely they'd use Brian Owen, who is on what is effectively a free platform?

Also I can't agree that 'there's not a massive risk of relegation.' Until we approach 35 points, the risk is substantial.

well I'm counting 'massive risk' as norwich levels, so maybe it's just a difference of definitions here. maybe they will use owen too. naylor has always been a mouthpiece of the club though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here